Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-30-2009, 10:57 PM
the Professional.
Raelyn will become famous soon enough
Ugh, LATs...

Anyone else get people logging onto their servers asking to be "LAT Admin" and saying stuff like "I use online editor!" and "I work for such-and-such server!" but when you ask them for screenshots or example levels of their tile work, they got nothing?

They just keep begging to be LAT, and they have no example works... ugh...

Quote:
Them: No i dont do offline editor i do online ill show u work with online editor...
can u hire me as LAT?

Me:Yea, that's what everyone says, but they can't even show screenshots of their work or take the time to make an offline level.

If you can't figure out how to take a screenshot, or take the 20-30 minute to make an example level or two offline, then you're probably not a very good LAT. :/

Them: well **** u *****
*sigh*

Last edited by Raelyn; 04-30-2009 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Lolcakes
Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Someone once offered me "dual bulldogs" on Era if I'd hire him as GP admin on Vesporia
Old 04-30-2009, 11:09 PM
the Professional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Someone once offered me "dual bulldogs" on Era if I'd hire him as GP admin on Vesporia
Whatever happened to the old days of people who could actually email levels, or post them on the forums. All these trial-riders and era-gangsters want to be "staff" on a server without knowing how to actually do anything but login to the game...
Old 04-30-2009, 11:15 PM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
I remember when I would release LAT applications for Era and then people would start asking me how to get the Era tileset. They should at least make an effort to learn the editor before trying to apply for a staff position..
Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
I remember when I would release LAT applications for Era and then people would start asking me how to get the Era tileset. They should at least make an effort to learn the editor before trying to apply for a staff position..
Agreed, though it was pretty tricky before, I added a "Era Development Kit" to install packages in the start menu that makes it easy to use all three of the tilesets (summer, autumn, winter).
Old 05-01-2009, 12:01 AM
the Professional.
Quote:
Agreed, though it was pretty tricky before, I added a "Era Development Kit" to install packages in the start menu that makes it easy to use all three of the tilesets (summer, autumn, winter).
removetiledefs;
addtiledef;
addtiledef2;

are not THAT tricky..

anyways;

I mean, I guess I have a reason for being particular about giving an online editor access to someone I never met before... but I feel bad, because we were all scrubs once, right? Well, I dunno if I was ever THAT scrubly, I would have at least attempted to submit a level. :P

Heh, nobody worth hiring ever applies.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:17 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Wait. There's a finished online level editor floating around?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:25 AM
the fake one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn View Post
removetiledefs;
addtiledef;
addtiledef2;

are not THAT tricky..
way 2 be ignorant
You have to convert the tileset to 8-bit (or tilesets),
then you have to update your file cache.

It's not as easy as most people think, but it's still amazingly easy if you know how to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
Wait. There's a finished online level editor floating around?
No, but Tig is making a nice one that's almost done. It's fully functional already, and it even works with 3d terrain (GK) and tilelayers, but he's still adding some more stuff.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Deas
Deas_Voice is a jewel in the roughDeas_Voice is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Deas_Voice Send a message via MSN to Deas_Voice Send a message via Yahoo to Deas_Voice
Quote:
No, but Tig is making a nice one that's almost done. It's fully functional already, and it even works with 3d terrain (GK) and tilelayers, but he's still adding some more stuff.
wrong, around Dev servers there is a online level editor that u open by saying "/tile on" and other commands like "/show", "/hide"
since 2003~
I Support~
ღAeonღ | ღTestbedღ | ღDelteriaღ

if you are going to rep me, don't be an idiot, leave your name!
I got nothing but love for you
Old 05-01-2009, 01:05 AM
the Professional.
Quote:
way 2 be ignorant
You have to convert the tileset to 8-bit (or tilesets),
then you have to update your file cache.

It's not as easy as most people think, but it's still amazingly easy if you know how to do it.

So you mean, they have to know how to use photoshop and how to delete filenamecache.txt and restart their clients? *gasp*

Shouldn't the tileset already BE 8bit?

Dunno about the rest of graal, but I only use 8bit pngs...
Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 AM
the Professional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deas_Voice View Post
wrong, around Dev servers there is a online level editor that u open by saying "/tile on" and other commands like "/show", "/hide"
True, that's the one I am using. Works good for tiling/detailing pre-generated levels. Thought, I think they are talking about a full scale editor, with NPC and baddie placements, and the ability to actually CREATE .nw files on the server.

Wouldn't that be nice?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
I've noticed that many players use Paint to make things. It doesn't have the option of making 8 bit pngs. Because their images will work online, they don't understand why they won't work offline. I'm pretty sure a person with global access could put in 27 hours a day converting images alone for offline use .
Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 PM
oh snaps
napo_p2p has a spectacular aura aboutnapo_p2p has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to napo_p2p Send a message via MSN to napo_p2p
Quote:
So you mean, they have to know how to use photoshop and how to delete filenamecache.txt and restart their clients? *gasp*

Images (online) can be 24-bit (this allows for a lot more colors). I generally use 24-bit pngs for tilesets, but I also include an 8-bit version in an update package (along with a tileload level) for level makers.
Tempus neminem non manet.
Noli manere tempus.
Carpe Diem

Seize the Day.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Don't like online editors, they most likely cost money if it's not on a classic playerlist
working on an offline project like I've been doing with Crystia is way better

Old 05-01-2009, 09:24 PM
the fake one
Quote:
I wouldn't expect or ask a level artist to know that. Perhaps your expectations are too high.

Quote:
No, why limit us to 256 colors?

Quote:
8-bit PNGs don't support semi-transparency or more than 256 colors. I use 8-bit PNGs for the majority of images, but for a tileset or so, 24-bit is the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
I've noticed that many players use Paint to make things. It doesn't have the option of making 8 bit pngs. Because their images will work online, they don't understand why they won't work offline. I'm pretty sure a person with global access could put in 27 hours a day converting images alone for offline use .
It would actually be really, really easy to do, especially if they made a PHP script or so to upload files to a directory for them.

It would be even be possible to totally automate it via a website, all you have to do is drag the PNG (or GIF as most of Graal for some reason uses) onto gif2mng.exe (in your Graal directory if you've downloaded it from the Login server).