Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Which type of death system would you like Oasis to have? (or like to play)
Minor Death Penalties 13 34.21%
Medium Death Penalties 7 18.42%
Permadeath 4 10.53%
Semi-Permadeath 14 36.84%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Player death poll

Right now I'm trying to decide what kind of death system I should implement. So I'm going to take a poll to see which people prefer. Remember, don't vote blindly. Read the descriptions for each kind of death below, and think about which you would like the most, and which would benefit the playerworld in the long run. Okay, now that I'm done talking, on to the descriptions!

Minor death penalties - When you get killed, you barely lose anything, such as items, gold, or stats.

Medium death penalties - When you get killed, you lose a fair amount of something, not too much that you'd want to quit playing over it though.

Perma death - When you die, it's game over, lights out, restart.

Semi-Perma death - When you die, you must be revived. You are only allowed a certain amount of revives when you start, but you can earn more revives as you play. This is much like "lives" in offline games, where you have 3 lives or so before it's game over. (I like this idea the most )

Death needs to have a penalty, or else dying would be pointless, and people would just kill themselves for fun. (ie Classic) Besides a "playerkill/playerdeath" ratio being affected, you barely lose anything of value. But if the death penalty is too great, people will become pissed that they lost their character.

Now, before you make your final decision, I want to try to win you over on my semi-perma death idea. Why would this work the best? I think because if a player can REALLY lose their character, they will be more careful about doing stupid things, and life would have more value. For example, if this system was in place, you wouldn't run into some unknown area without asking around about it, or you wouldn't go fight some way too strong boss knowing you'd probably lose.

The second beneficial factor, is the "no super players" factor. With a semi-perma death system, it's inevitable that sooner or later you're probably going to die. Meaning no player will ever become super godly level 100 leet with maxed out stats. Now you might be saying "wait a second, what is the point of fighting monsters all day trying to raise my stats, if I'm just going to lose them?". Well, it should make you rethink why you're playing in the first place. My playerworld won't be about blindly leveling up until you're a demi-god. Everything won't revolve around fighting, so this will be unlike anything you've played on Graal to date.

The third beneficial factor, is the "lower playerkiller count" factor. At first you might think that playerkillers would just be even more annoying, now that you could actually lose your character from being killed, but if you think it through, it would work out nicely. See, a person who thrusts themselves into constant battles (ie. a playerkiller) will not have a very long lifespan. Meaning people that just mindlessly kill players, will never achieve a high enough level to do any serious damage. Heck, they might not even achieve a level high enough to kill anyone. By the time they get strong enough to kill, they would reconsider risking their newly gained strength, just to kill some players.

So what do you think? Now it's not impossible to stay alive, but I think it would be way more challenging to play like this, than to just be some immortal who does nothing but grow stronger. Once players get super strong, balance of the game would slip. Stronger monsters would be made, prices would be raised, stronger weapons will be made, until none of the old weapons or monsters are worth a damn. (much like Kingdoms) It's just a neverending downward spiral of chaos.

Anyway, I will let you decide, and hopefully, people will agree with me that the semi-perma death method would be an interesting and fun alternative, to the boring old immortality superfreak servers.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 08-21-2003, 03:46 PM
No sleep till brooklyn!
URBANLEGEND is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to URBANLEGEND Send a message via AIM to URBANLEGEND Send a message via MSN to URBANLEGEND Send a message via Yahoo to URBANLEGEND
Minor death penalties - When you get killed, you barely lose anything, such as items, gold, or stats.

the rest are too harsh.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Minoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud of
Semi-Permadeath.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
When you run out of revies... its back to square 1?
Is oasis RP? IF so... wont it be annoying by people who ginore rules and PK, and your revies are bye bye?
Old 08-21-2003, 04:29 PM
Christian is on a distinguished road
This was Graal (Servers like Val) call RP isn't really RP,
you know?
Old 08-21-2003, 05:28 PM
PipBoy Extraordinaire!
Thought is on a distinguished road
Semi-permadeath.

I am now using my new account, Rick.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Minoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Spark910
When you run out of revies... its back to square 1?
Is oasis RP? IF so... wont it be annoying by people who ginore rules and PK, and your revies are bye bye?
Maybe PKing should be allowed if it's an RP server? Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense ;\
Old 08-21-2003, 06:12 PM
Hollow
Myomoto is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Myomoto Send a message via MSN to Myomoto
Semi-permadeath, but won't people at high level just go "buy" some new lifes? -.-
Old 08-21-2003, 06:28 PM
Banned
protagonist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to protagonist Send a message via MSN to protagonist
Permadeath. Make people mad when they die so they try not to.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:31 PM
Androk is on a distinguished road
I think it would be best if you sticked with Semi-Permadeath. Mainly because it's different from what I plan on doing for Hartland (Sorry for advertising, but that's a point back up).

Besides that the idea seems rather fresh and new!

Name: Androk
Old 08-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Androk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by protagonist
Permadeath. Make people mad when they die so they try not to.
Change your sig domain to myimgs.com, Hostmysig is having temp problems with their domain.

Erm, sorry for double post.

Name: Androk
Old 08-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Shaun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Minoc

Maybe PKing should be allowed if it's an RP server? Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense ;\
What if their RP character is a psychotic who kills people? It makes perfect RP sense to have PKing. It just happens to be that people that play Graal Online have more murderer-like tendencies.

The reason why people don't give in and kill in real life is because of consequences. Maybe have it so that police or whatever in Oasis are to not use RC unless it's for something major (such as using Trainers, game bugs, etc.), otherwise having to catch the player themself. So yes, maybe PKing should be disallowed, but make it so that you don't get insta jailed, make it RP.

I'm still woozy from the medication (I had surgery recently), so I realize my sentences probably don't make the most sense, but I hope you are able to realize what I am trying to get across.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally posted by Androk

Change your sig domain to myimgs.com, Hostmysig is having temp problems with their domain.

Erm, sorry for double post.
Your signature image isn't working either
Old 08-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Re: Player death poll

Quote:
Originally posted by konidias
See, a person who thrusts themselves into constant battles (ie. a playerkiller) will not have a very long lifespan. Meaning people that just mindlessly kill players, will never achieve a high enough level to do any serious damage. Heck, they might not even achieve a level high enough to kill anyone. By the time they get strong enough to kill, they would reconsider risking their newly gained strength, just to kill some players.
Untrue.
In some other MMORPG which I am probably not allowed to name, playerkillers did not only lose their equipment when killed, like other players, but also suffered a permanent loss of skills and such. Yet playerkilling was still popular and it was pretty insecure to even leave the noplayerkilling-like areas if you weren't an experienced PvP-fighter
Old 08-21-2003, 07:24 PM
Christian is on a distinguished road
Forming Parties should help
It should be very balanced (lol 1 Player Killer kills all members of a Party is bad).

I like spawning after death to the last saved point (like in .hack)
Old 08-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Over Nine THOUSAND!!!!!!!
davidpsy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to davidpsy
I think there should be minor death penalties because people already pk on gk and other servers. They shouldent be forced into not killing and to try the other aspacts of the server. The other aspacts of the server should be so good that others wont want to pk and they would rather enjoy the other aspacts. When you force them to not pk others because they will lose everything
It will make them want to do it more. The first pkers that get good stats so they can kill will kill everyone making it impossable for the pkers to die. people will quit and eventually not play Oasis because of this. Having minor death penalties with more better aspacts which will draw people away from pking but not forcing them. There is my 666 cents.

Forces greater than your self, can be over come.
Closed Thread