Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Gold Servers > Zone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The reality is that it's very large. If you think the user of a budget-game is going to run out and buy a new monitor or video card than you may be the unrealistic side of the fence.

On top of that, I usually prefer functional to aesthetic - this is needlessly larger than it has to be. A simple bar could be justified in this case... without the fuss about size and the creators insisting users invest a minimum of $175USD to enjoy their creation...?

My desktop PC is from 2001 (I'm running on a pentium 4 ><). It does have a flatscreen monitor which is nice but all of my specs are severely outdated (NVidia Geforce FX 5200...512 mb of RAM for crying out loud). Honestly, if you don't have an equal or better setup than this then I don't know what you're doing playing PC games.

It is pretty large when looking at the perspective that the game is played on but I suppose it can always be resized if necessary.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Gambet, you have the same specs as me
Old 06-25-2009, 07:39 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet View Post
It's the 21st century, it's about time we go big. That's what she said
Getting a 24" monitor soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet View Post
My desktop PC is from 2001 (I'm running on a pentium 4 ><). It does have a flatscreen monitor which is nice but all of my specs are severely outdated (NVidia Geforce FX 5200...512 mb of RAM for crying out loud). Honestly, if you don't have an equal or better setup than this then I don't know what you're doing playing PC games.

It is pretty large when looking at the perspective that the game is played on but I suppose it can always be resized if necessary.
It's not so much about the performance of our PC's vs the resolution Graal is intended to be played on.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Banned
Aura is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The reality is that it's very large. If you think the user of a budget-game is going to run out and buy a new monitor or video card than you may be the unrealistic side of the fence.

On top of that, I usually prefer functional to aesthetic - this is needlessly larger than it has to be. A simple bar could be justified in this case... without the fuss about size and the creators insisting users invest a minimum of $175USD to enjoy their creation...?
You are totally wrong there.

A user will not pay 175$ just to play graal, but other games aswell.
Every 2. household PC has a PC that can easily handle that resolution, I bet.
For 175$ you get something needlessly big.

Crono, "Graal" is intended to be played on the normal start resolution of the window
Zone might be an exception as it is not really "Graal" anymore

Last edited by Aura; 06-25-2009 at 08:07 PM..
Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Only problem I see with the size is that trials have limited screensize(if they resize past a certain size, it just has black borders)--640x470 or so. That's really small, and that GUI does take up a hefty chunk of it.

However, the restriction itself is pretty stupid so...
Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura View Post
Crono, "Graal" is intended to be played on the normal start resolution of the window
Zone might be an exception as it is not really "Graal" anymore
Exactly, and how big is that? It's smaller than my resolution so it can't be 1024x768, so then why would a gui need to be even bigger than that?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:08 PM
I finished scripting the entire shielding system on debug for those with access to the server to go and check it out and let me know what they think. It came out pretty neat, especially the flashy effects when your shields are empty.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Banned
Aura is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Only problem I see with the size is that trials have limited screensize(if they resize past a certain size, it just has black borders)--640x470 or so. That's really small, and that GUI does take up a hefty chunk of it.

However, the restriction itself is pretty stupid so...
No problem to remove that restriction

Because Gui's sometimes can require the whole upper space of one's screen.

Take the GUI of a strategy game, why does it take up 1/8 of the screen in most cases ;P
Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Best is to make things optional, a way to turn it off It could also be possible to display it smaller for people with small screen (thanks to the gui system). Another way would be to show the hp/shield when it's changing and hide it once it's full. I don't think the size is a problem, the problem is when the screen is filled with unneccessary stuff. Better to display things bigger, but display only stuff that is important, and put other stuff in menus.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Maybe I'm a little late to the game...But whats all this shield buisness about? I thought the way HP handled now was just fine, shields are just adding more hp basically? z.z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Best is to make things optional, a way to turn it off It could also be possible to display it smaller for people with small screen (thanks to the gui system). Another way would be to show the hp/shield when it's changing and hide it once it's full. I don't think the size is a problem, the problem is when the screen is filled with unneccessary stuff. Better to display things bigger, but display only stuff that is important, and put other stuff in menus.
Why not just make a way to minimize it into the old gui by adding a slot for the %. ( <--- HA! IT WERKED)
Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Quote:
I was going to say it shouldn't be too hard to implement a full and simple GUI system. Full would display said graphic, while simple would display minimalistic bars and such, something that won't take up much screen space.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Agreed. Perhaps add a check so that if the player's resolution is below a certain amount a scaled-down version of the gui is used? I'm sure scaling it down and using different images for those wouldn't be too bad to do?
Old 06-26-2009, 02:10 AM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
The new gui actually looks good in action, need to remove the old gui somehow and make a new radar image
Old 07-01-2009, 05:13 AM
Elk is working on a template for a completely new GUI (the entire HUD...including the radar), from the prototype it looks like it could possibly be one of the best ever made on Graal so have to wait on him for it.

As with progress, I just finished the iricia base spawning system on debug so soon you will have the ability to choose what base to spawn on in Iricia (as long as your team owns the base), just have to wait until it's released on the main server.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Dionne Førever
DeathOfRa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Shields

Your health is going to be converted to a shield-type system where you still see your health in the top-right GUI, but now there will be a new GUI (the shield GUI) at the top-center of your screen that will work solely as an indicator. Basically, when you take damage, your new shield GUI will decrease in accordance to your health, and if your health reaches a critical point, it will begin to blink to let you know that your shields are low.
Armor failed the first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer View Post
The voices in my head like to bicker with each other.