Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Learn to script!

Not really sure if this is the right spot, so feel free to move it.

I'd like to get a group of us new scripters together and then each have the same assignment per a week that gets progressively harder. For example, next week might be a simple one such as a basic tailor script. Eventually we would get down to making hardcore systems. I think this joining this newbie scripters group would be a great asset for all involved as we can help each other out and progress together. The way i see it, we all work on the same type of script each week and then show each other our scripts and find out what we could have done better.

If anyone wants to do this, just post here OR go to https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...Mlc1bUU5YWc6MQ

Last edited by papajchris; 05-02-2011 at 05:17 AM..
Old 05-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Good idea, sign me up
Old 05-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Didn't Hell Raven do this sometime ago? But it was a thread that was just a challenge to make scripts n such specified by the challenge rules?

Edit: Now I think about it I can't remember if it was Hell Raven or Chompy.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:04 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯
Chompy is just really niceChompy is just really niceChompy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Chompy
I'm all for this! Could also use the Testbed Server, create some specific folder rights and such. Would also give a similar working environment for each of those who participate.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:29 AM
27Junior1 is on a distinguished road
Im still trying to learn scripting, so if you dont mind having a noob scripter, then sign me up too
Old 05-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soala View Post
Good idea, sign me up
Alright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy View Post
I'm all for this! Could also use the Testbed Server, create some specific folder rights and such. Would also give a similar working environment for each of those who participate.
Sounds good to me! Maybe a shared folder to drop the scripts in (.txt format) so that we could keep record and refer to previous scripts. Testbed would be perfect (You just signed me up actually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Junior1 View Post
Im still trying to learn scripting, so if you dont mind having a noob scripter, then sign me up too
We want you! I am not that good either. This is for you and me and everyone else that wants to learn. I want this group to be mainly for the novices as i want to work on scripts in my level (not something in jerrets or chris vimes)

Spread the word about this, i'll give it another day and maybe we can start this week .

I'd love it if we be came a close group, so once we figure out whos involved we should all share some details (scripting level, weaknesses, strengths, how to contact you for help,etc)
Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Workin' on It
PhilSmith is on a distinguished road
This is a great idea. I'm alright a scripting so I'd love to join this group (probably as a resource for a few weeks until you catch up to me). But it would be great to have a class of scripters rather than doing it on your own.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Senator Amsel Zephlyn
Spikedude will become famous soon enough
Keep me updated on anything, this sounds great. I started learning GS2 and never really got that into it, but I'd love to give it another shot.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:49 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajchris View Post
Not really sure if this is the right spot, so feel free to move it.

I'd like to get a group of us new scripters together and then each have the same assignment per a week that gets progressively harder. For example, next week might be a simple one such as a basic tailor script. Eventually we would get down to making hardcore systems. I think this joining this newbie scripters group would be a great asset for all involved as we can help each other out and progress together. The way i see it, we all work on the same type of script each week and then show each other our scripts and find out what we could have done better.

If anyone wants to do this, just post here
Count me in!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Dario is on a distinguished road
DaRIO

Sign Me Up!
Old 05-02-2011, 01:55 AM
Era iPhone PR
Astram can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Astram
Aight if the 1 post kid is in... Im in

Old 05-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Zeus Condero
I posted an app (for non-forum members) in my Original post. If someone would mass this threads link out on their home server, lets get the ball rolling
Old 05-02-2011, 05:26 AM
Freedom is not free
The_Federov is on a distinguished road
sign me up!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Graal Developer
Rave_J can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Rave_J Send a message via MSN to Rave_J Send a message via Yahoo to Rave_J
cant wait to start
Old 05-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Zeus Condero
With Chompys help of setting up the schedule (i want to make sure it progresses at a fair rate), we are getting close. I hope to maybe release this weeks script challenge tomorrow.

Here is how i see it atm (please give me feedback)
There will be 2 scripts you can do a week (you can obviously do more outside of the group). One is a primary and one secondary. The primary is the main script we will be covering, and the secondary is an additional script slightly harder (and should lead into next weeks assignment).

With EACH assignment my goal is to supply everyone with articles from popular guides such as Jerrets/Twinnies/GraalBible that pertain to what we are learning. The scripts should be challenging for us and so we really need to communicate and give feedback to eachother.

Im looking into communication resources such as teamspeak, ventrillo, and google wave (feel free to offer one). Right now their is 13 of us participating. I'd love it if a UN/Zodiac staff member could mass message it.

Just a reminder:
this is for people who want to learn from the ground up. While the first script isn't going to be "set a players chat," it will not be a crazy hard script. So this isn't really for advance scripters YET (I'm hoping to have all 13 of us at a high quality scripting level by the end of the summer).

I'd love to see Gani/GAT/Lat groups come up. I'd also love it if some good scripters would check in on our ventrillo/teamspeak/whatever a few times a week and answer any questions so we could get immediate feedback (if the group couldn't resolve the situation its self).

More info tomorrow