Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 04:53 AM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
New weather system idea

Today I was at work for 10 hours, and it was like 100 degrees, and I wanted it to rain very much.

I thought it would be awesome if I could just make it rain. Unfortunately, it didn't rain.

However, I did come up with an idea for reintroducing the weather system. Allowing one player to control all weather, transferring it to whoever kills them. Yea, I can make it so this player cannot gain immunity from damage by any means (no hiding in nopk zones), and that they can't heal so easily (maybe beer-only, since it's so funny when someone is trying to heal with it while being PKed).
Old 07-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
There already is weather, which runs off a synced clock so that everyone sees the same effects (if they have it turned on). It doesn't have rain though (it does day/night and cloud cover), but I can add that.

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache
Old 07-20-2006, 01:35 AM
Former Classic Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo
There already is weather, which runs off a synced clock so that everyone sees the same effects (if they have it turned on). It doesn't have rain though (it does day/night and cloud cover), but I can add that.
It should be redone in GS2.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Bells doppleganger
nikomi946 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to nikomi946 Send a message via AIM to nikomi946 Send a message via Yahoo to nikomi946
Who cares about weather, most turn it off anyway. Its something that is a novel idea for about 10 minutes then you grow bored with it. Scripting bowling or something similar that can be used as entertainment by a larger group of people seems to me to be more efficient use of scripting time.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Former Classic Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikomi946
Who cares about weather, most turn it off anyway. Its something that is a novel idea for about 10 minutes then you grow bored with it. Scripting bowling or something similar that can be used as entertainment by a larger group of people seems to me to be more efficient use of scripting time.
nononono... weather would have to affect everyone or else it wouldn't work. The idea is to have a single player control the entire server's weather until he/she is killed, warps, or logs off. Let's say, for instance, some jackass is making everything windy, foggy, and dark. A lot of people would want the effects of weather to go away, so they'd try taking the power away from that person by killing them. Inevitably, with the new guild system, this power would end up mostly in the hands of guilds. This, in turn, would promote guild warring, and so on. But only if we made it so that you couldn't disable weather.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Former Classic Staff
Well what ter had said is that bell thinks it isn't a good idea. That it would annoy players, but maybe be good for GCs to impose events. But if it were public they could just go sit in their locked guild HQ and control the weather there while paused.

My response is that we have custom movement/damage so we can disable anything that would prevent someone from being damaged. Also, that people will have less limited access to guild HQs in the future.

Yea, I'm not used to forum moderation so please forgive me for that ter. All I really want it for is to be able to post in the News forum or to sticky/unsticky stuff, y'kno?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Banned
KuJi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to KuJi Send a message via AIM to KuJi Send a message via MSN to KuJi Send a message via Yahoo to KuJi
Capture the flag?

Instead.. capture the weatherman. If the owner logs off it can go back to say.. the event house. ( i don't play classic ;o )

Very interesting idea. And.. what if they hide in water?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
Weather effects often use intensive lighting effects, somthing which not everyone wants. Personally I dont think weather should be forced on those people.

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache
Old 07-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Banned
KuJi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to KuJi Send a message via AIM to KuJi Send a message via MSN to KuJi Send a message via Yahoo to KuJi
Be good if you can check comp specs and enable it on if there comps well enough lol
Old 07-21-2006, 02:18 AM
Banned
p2p_Sir_Link is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry but this is a stupid idea. Forcing everyone to have weather would probably make the weather holder always want to keep it clean.

Bring back Bowling instead
Old 07-21-2006, 05:55 AM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
Why not bring back the black graal so it heals the owner 1 heart every 20 seconds, and gives them infinite arrows and bombs, and goes to whoever kills the previous owner/ finds it once someone logs off.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
I say if you can Control The Weather, the graphics should be optional - you can have nice dramatic Darkening of the sun, Pounding rain, etcetera - but the big important thing is the ability to call down lightning. You can't heal, you can't defend yourself, but you can call down the lightning - and that kind of power is the only thing that can defeat an entire guild at one go. So if you've got people to defend you, or if you can make it in unopposed...

But in such a case, I'd say there needs to be a limitation - the Graal of Weather only appears when the playercount hits 50 or so. It's a weekend event, not a Ha ha everyone else is asleep event.

I also think it'd be cool if, when you annihilate a guild's headquarters, they can't attack your guild for a week. But you can slaughter them all you want, it's open season. Just to really drive home who beat who in World War I...I mean, in the guild war...right...

Perhaps the weather SHOULD have other effects. I don't know how practical any of this would be, but - strong wind blows arrows off course. Driving rain extinguishes half of the bombs set before they can go off. Thick fog limits visibility (not dungeon-limited, but only being able to see 16 tiles in any direction would still be pretty limiting). None of this has to be graphics intensive - thick fog can just be "Everything outside this circle is gray", it's been done before. A flood would be interesting...tricky to script, but really it's just a tile update, right? }:{D>

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 07-21-2006, 07:43 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
I like the weather idea. =[
Old 07-21-2006, 04:20 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I think Tyhm put an interesting spin on the weather idea. I really like the part about the thunder. But with that being said, I'd rather not have any sort of weather system forced onto us.

Tyhm, during his days, didn't really care what people wanted, and would have given this to us anyway. But, even then, I still would like to see you back, you always had the most innovative ideas (granted some didn't really fit Classic, but I still loved them. Races, if on another server, would have worked, and I probably would be playing it).

[EDIT]I forgot where I was posting, limited to only one post per eight hours, but I glanced at another one of Tyhm's threads. I think they should infact bring races back to Classic to an extent, maybe as part of quests, you could do something for the Gnomes, and have their powers while doing the quest, then move to the Ceres/Zorbi and get their powers for the quests there. The powers would only be limited to the dungeons however. I just don't want to see something as creative go down, no matter how much some people hated it.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:57 PM
►Point Man◄
Terazel Tenjin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus
I think Tyhm put an interesting spin on the weather idea. I really like the part about the thunder. But with that being said, I'd rather not have any sort of weather system forced onto us.
I agree. It'd definitely be neat to see different implimentations of it. But to force it on players, I'm against. Perhaps if this were to be used in parallel with Nations, an "elemental weapon" could bring advantage to the "home team" in control of the weapon in a specific area of combat/combat zone?

Quote:
Tyhm, during his days, didn't really care what people wanted, and would have given this to us anyway. But, even then, I still would like to see you back, you always had the most innovative ideas (granted some didn't really fit Classic, but I still loved them. Races, if on another server, would have worked, and I probably would be playing it).
Well, no admins ever spend all of their time asking people what they want partly because, for the most part, people don't really know what they want until they see it in one way or form. But at least Tyhm used to give options for people to vote on the next thing they want to see (Avalon voting booth)...

Quote:
[EDIT]I forgot where I was posting, limited to only one post per eight hours, but I glanced at another one of Tyhm's threads. I think they should infact bring races back to Classic to an extent, maybe as part of quests, you could do something for the Gnomes, and have their powers while doing the quest, then move to the Ceres/Zorbi and get their powers for the quests there. The powers would only be limited to the dungeons however. I just don't want to see something as creative go down, no matter how much some people hated it.
I feel your pain about one post per eight hours. That's why I post primarily on another set of forums.

As for Races, I enjoyed them as another aspect of the game, but there was really no "Race pride." But yes, I agree that it would be a shame to let go the Races aspect/idea completely. I still say it's too early to bring it back now, if ever, but if we have that gap or chance in the evolution of development, we should take the first chance to reintroduce it back to people and see if it'll work.

Fearless Leader of the Squirtle Squad Initiative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Once again I flipflopped