Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2006, 01:58 AM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
Using clientr, client, serverr, server vars wisely.

All of these vars need to be sent to the player on update serverside. This can create lag. Also, client and server vars being updated constantly clientside can create a lot of output to the server.

Alt+4 shows input/output bytes for the player.

A few of the old reused damage functions on Classic have been updating constantly clientside, and there were a lot of variables being sent to the player from the serverside of the damage system. Variables that the player didn't need to have immediate access to. If the player doesn't need immediate access to a variable clientside, just set the variable as a player.var serverside. The variable will save in the flags when you set a player.var as a non-prefixed var.

Hope people take some wisdom from this.

Still need to work it out of the drunk movement system, but need to approach how.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:51 AM
Okiesmokie
ApothiX is on a distinguished road
Non-prefixed variables in the flags are not able to be read clientside, are they?

[06:24:19] * Parts: Skyld (i=silent@unaffiliated/skyld) ("Perhaps Okiesmokie did not realise that I like the boys. ")
Old 06-20-2006, 03:57 AM
Former Classic Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApothiX
Non-prefixed variables in the flags are not able to be read clientside, are they?
No, but clients can still access them with triggeractions. If you don't need immediate access to a flag, it's usually better to use non-prefixed flags (though not really necessary). You'd definitely want to do this in the case that you're setting a lot of variable at once so you don't overload the player with data with things that you don't really need to.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:13 AM
Okiesmokie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake13jake
No, but clients can still access them with triggeractions. If you don't need immediate access to a flag, it's usually better to use non-prefixed flags (though not really necessary). You'd definitely want to do this in the case that you're setting a lot of variable at once so you don't overload the player with data with things that you don't really need to.
Ah, triggeractions for the win.

[06:24:19] * Parts: Skyld (i=silent@unaffiliated/skyld) ("Perhaps Okiesmokie did not realise that I like the boys. ")
Old 06-20-2006, 04:39 AM
Former Classic Staff
Also, if you need data to be visible from one player's clientside to the rest, attr vars are the only way to do that. However, you can minimize the number of attr vars you have to modify by using bitflags (unless you need to send a string)

...Yea, now my damage system is doing a lot better.

Last edited by jake13jake; 06-20-2006 at 07:03 AM..
Old 06-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned
Python523 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That and for storing variables that will only be read/wrote to only serverside ;o
Old 06-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Okiesmokie
Quote:
Also, if you need data to be visible from one player's clientside to the rest, attr vars are the only way to do that.
If you want to access the data all the time, yes. But if you only need it during certain situations (ie: a custom profile) then using a triggeraction is far better than updating player.attr[] flags.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Banned
Python523 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
All of these vars need to be sent to the player on update serverside. This can create lag. Also, client and server vars being updated constantly clientside can create a lot of output to the server.
Not sure if you were just being careless, but there are some things wrong with that.

You implied that server. varsare sent to the client, which is just wrong; they are only seen serverside. serverr. strings are sent to the clients, but as read-only. Your post also implied that server vars can be written to clientside, which is just plain wrong.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Former Classic Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python523
You implied that server. varsare sent to the client, which is just wrong; they are only seen serverside. serverr. strings are sent to the clients, but as read-only. Your post also implied that server vars can be written to clientside, which is just plain wrong.
Yea, I am careless because I never use server or serverr.vars. I always use DB NPCs for that kind of stuff because it's just a lot more organized.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:44 AM
Scripter
ZeLpH_MyStiK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ZeLpH_MyStiK Send a message via Yahoo to ZeLpH_MyStiK
Quote:
Yea, I am careless because I never use server or serverr.vars. I always use DB NPCs for that kind of stuff because it's just a lot more organized.
I am pretty sure serverr. variables are sent to the client when the player logs on and when the variables are updated. Server. variables are just read/written to serverside.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeLpH_MyStiK
I am pretty sure serverr. variables are sent to the client when the player logs on and when the variables are updated. Server. variables are just read/written to serverside.
Im pretty sure about that one too.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 06-23-2006, 06:47 AM
Banned
Warcaptain is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Warcaptain Send a message via AIM to Warcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to Warcaptain
Hey give me some credit here for helping you figure all this out
Old 06-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Former Classic Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcaptain
Hey give me some credit here for helping you figure all this out
You told me what Alt+4 meant, thank you.

You can also use client.vars to reduce lag instead of having to use triggeractions.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:39 AM
Okiesmokie
Quote:
You can also use client.vars to reduce lag instead of having to use triggeractions.
If you don't want it to be secure, yeah.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Former Classic Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApothiX
If you don't want it to be secure, yeah.
Well, as for attr vars, if they are changing constantly, then you'd want to use them. Also, being secure doesn't always matter enough to not be using client.vars.