Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_Fish View Post
Perhaps, and all land should equally belong to all of earth's creatures, but that's not happening now, is it?

Surprise though, I lied. It's not actual gratitude. I was going to point and laugh.
That's a very bad comparison. And whether it is positive or negative feedback, it should always go towards the whole team.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Venom_Fish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Venom_Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
That's a very bad comparison. And whether it is positive or negative feedback, it should always go towards the whole team.
That's a very literal take on such an idealistic statement.

Since it was clearly missed, the point of the statement was that things are seldom as they "should" due to man's own incapacity to conform to any logical notion of what should or shouldn't be.

The reason behind that is that what should be is a clear matter of perspective.

You certainly wouldn't imprison the entire auto manufacturing company for creation of a faulty car that killed millions... or would ya?
No, you wouldn't because it is nearly impossible and impractical to properly distribute the blame to the many different components.

Contrarily, this case doesn't contain such complexities.
Since those to blame can be pin-pointed, why should they not be? Why should those who had little to no part or choice in it be faced with the brunt of its shortcomings?
"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." - Ecclesiastes 9:11
Old 11-03-2012, 04:45 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
You certainly wouldn't imprison the entire auto manufacturing company for creation of a faulty car that killed millions... or would ya?
That, again, is a bad comparison. But it also shows what is both right and wrong with how Graal works. The problem here is that you can tell who is/may be to blame when something goes wrong. You can't really do that with any other game, and you shouldn't be able to. Then again, the developers being so close to the players can be a big plus as well. Very difficult..
Old 11-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Quote:
That, again, is a bad comparison. But it also shows what is both right and wrong with how Graal works. The problem here is that you can tell who is/may be to blame when something goes wrong. You can't really do that with any other game, and you shouldn't be able to. Then again, the developers being so close to the players can be a big plus as well. Very difficult..
Are you sure you're reading my posts? x.X

I literally just said Graal's state is contrary to the stated example. On here, you're not compelled to place blame on those who don't deserve it because you can pin-point those who had a hand in the invention or alteration.

Repeating myself: On here, those innocent of the act need not face the brunt of its shortcomings.

Oddly enough, you're saying that it "shouldn't" be that way. My immediate question is, why not?

It seems pretty ideal; credit being given where credit is due.
"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." - Ecclesiastes 9:11
Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Is my g36k worth 10m yet?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Oddly enough, you're saying that it "shouldn't" be that way. My immediate question is, why not?
Because the strong connection between developers and players can be very troublesome sometimes. With the whole credit thing as well, because people also tend to get credit for things they haven't even done; myself as well. Or people don't get credit for things they have done. And I think the whole team should get the credit regardless.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Because the strong connection between developers and players can be very troublesome sometimes. With the whole credit thing as well, because people also tend to get credit for things they haven't even done; myself as well. Or people don't get credit for things they have done. And I think the whole team should get the credit regardless.
I know what you think, but why?

Besides, its harder to give credit to the wrong people on Graal, the community is too small. Therefore, wrongful placement of credit is hardly an issue.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Hey Rogue, thanks for the Gmap and gang bases.. twice. But we're going to hire Rachel instead for 4 years of inactivity because she came out the same hole as Tim.
No probs!

For real is there like a list of the new gun stats like William produced when he originally changed them? Prices as well possibly? This would be appreciative.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:19 AM
Stay Frosty
WillaWonka will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaman771 View Post
Hey Rogue, thanks for the Gmap and gang bases.. twice. But we're going to hire Rachel instead for 4 years of inactivity because she came out the same hole as Tim.
No probs!

For real is there like a list of the new gun stats like William produced when he originally changed them? Prices as well possibly? This would be appreciative.
Yeah its a nice spreadsheet... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EdnS0JORERQQ2c

Courtesy of the NPC idling around all day. Lazy Slaves..
Old 11-04-2012, 05:56 AM
world-class douchebag
RogueShatterblade will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to RogueShatterblade
Quote:
It seems pretty ideal; credit being given where credit is due.
It's not, Wil.

Sooner than later everyone's clamoring to have their name stamped on anything they touched. Collaborative efforts become attention contests. People start keeping track of absurd ****. Name-calling ensues.

Keeping people on the outside keeps things clean on the inside.

*Bell: I'm going to faint, Ocelot turned into a real human being. One I can actually have some respect for.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:55 AM
Era's Most Wanted
tstre has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Glad to hear improvements.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueShatterblade View Post
It's not, Wil.

Sooner than later everyone's clamoring to have their name stamped on anything they touched. Collaborative efforts become attention contests. People start keeping track of absurd ****. Name-calling ensues.

Keeping people on the outside keeps things clean on the inside.
There's an understandable reason. However, I don't think that is necessarily true.

One could argue that an environment like that would crumble if it severely lacks incentives, or inappropriately allocates incentives and rewards, for workers. Evidence of this can be seen in countless historical accounts such as, the French Revolution, Rise of Communism, Slave Revolts, and etc. where the perceived lack of reward or incentive led to an uproot or destruction of the internal framework, from nation to plantation.

To relate, Graal is the quintessential of these types of environments because the working body does not receive any substantial benefits as-is.

In this context, wouldn't proper recognition counteract this seemingly unrewarding endeavor?

I mean, in academia, recognition is paramount due to similar reasons, excess of the lack of substantial (financial) benefits except in certain areas.

However, I do notice that in governmental bodies this is handled similar to the manner that you guys suggest. But, even in those cases, the lack of recognition is counteracted by benefits in finance and elsewhere (healthcare, etc).

Overall, Graal is not the state where you can employ this idea of combined recognition for works. This is due to the fact that, as moral equivalence dictates, you must provide an alternate entity with which you can counteract the void left by the absence of recognition, reward, or incentive. In the case of Graal, this entity is sadly non-existent. Therefore, recognition must be employed until an alternative can be discovered.

Last edited by Venom_Fish; 11-06-2012 at 05:23 PM..
Old 11-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Stay Frosty
WillaWonka will become famous soon enough
I would love to have my very own Nauda's Fckin' Hat... or better yet, Willa's Fckin' Hat.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Why are you guys even arguing about this, it's obvious that Fiber is the one who made the stats.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:01 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Its not Fiber, its Graal Era Staff Inc.