Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2010, 11:27 PM
(Developer)
DarkIceX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
I will disregard philosophical posts because they do offer nothing more than an all knowing point of view -.-....

" you can offer GFX but GFX of what exactly? you said you'd be manager, so are you looking to be directed or are you looking to direct? you said you'd work on a RPG server, but what does that mean?"

Are those seriously questions that need to be asked? You couldn't think of the answers yourself, or are you trying to complicate things? I said GFX, that means I will help gfx things for the server. I said I would manage, that means I have ideas and plans and the knowledge of what basically needs to be done. I have no idea on how to put "I will work in on an rpg server" in simpler terms for you.

Really, you're just making it harder. I said I would do those things, all I need are more people to agree to help and work on it with me before we can agree on some Rpg'ish qualities and get started on it.

"if you're really interested in starting up a server, you should post some guidelines as to what it would be: what would the server you would work on look like? what would it allow players to do? what would it allow you to do?"

I'm not going to waste time and explain something I want when I'd rather take the time and see what the collaborative group wants.
Actually, many of the questions that have been asked need to be asked. They may serve to complicate things in the beginning, but when you get down to it and begin development, everybody has a direction, everybody knows what is expected and everybody knows what needs to be done.

You DO need to plan out a server in order for it to be successful.

Some may disagree with me, but as an example, from the complexity of Zodiac's scripts, I honestly don't think that Yen could have just slapped all that together without any direction other than knowing he is making an RPG server. There are scripts, which are required to work scripts, which are required to work other scripts and it goes much deeper than that.

If he just sat down, hired a LAT and GAT and started scripting, it definitely would not have worked out as well in my opinion (maybe I am wrong but there almost had to have been planning involved).

As an example: he contacted me on AIM at one point while I was Manager, attempting to get me to make changes to the server and add things he had planned out. Naturally I said no, it being Yen who was globally banned at that point, but that is not the point. The point is:

He had it planned out perfectly. He had all the scripts finished already, just needing to be uploaded. He had all the graphics, ganis and levels that were required already made. From what he was saying, I got the feeling that this was already planned in the early stages of Zodiac and would have been implemented had he not gotten himself into trouble with just about everybody and gotten himself banned.

There are other examples, but Zodiac just sticks out as one server, that looking at it from experience, I feel could not have been started or released without thorough planning.

Just my two cents.

Bloodvayne
Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
I wasn't mad and irritated as much as I was confused at the thought that you couldn't understand, and still don't.

If I came up with all the idea's and designs myself, it would be me starting up an rpg server doomed to fail, rather than offering to host a new rpg server that we could collaberate idea's and designs into.

Here's a tip (since you are starting to piss me off a little o.o... ) : Ask the questions to yourself and see if you can't think of an answer.
being the server owner and the servers manager, you are in direct control of the project as seen by the PWA. you've stated that you won't work on the project unless it's an RPG server. these are some pretty strict claims, and if you want to collaborate with others, then you should put out the starting points, the starting ideas, and begin the design from a point of view you find to be the best option. then people can add to it, edit it, revise it, or scrap it. if you are going to put yourself in the position you've said you would fill, then put out your expectations of the project so other people can know if they really want to work on that type of project with you

and for the record, and while i deleted my post and revoked my guidance; i can and have answered all of these questions when i worked on armageddon. in fact, it was the very first thing i did
Old 01-14-2010, 11:32 PM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkIceX View Post
Actually, many of the questions that have been asked need to be asked. They may serve to complicate things in the beginning, but when you get down to it and begin development, everybody has a direction, everybody knows what is expected and everybody knows what needs to be done.

You DO need to plan out a server in order for it to be successful.

Some may disagree with me, but as an example, from the complexity of Zodiac's scripts, I honestly don't think that Yen could have just slapped all that together without any direction other than knowing he is making an RPG server. There are scripts, which are required to work scripts, which are required to work other scripts and it goes much deeper than that.

If he just sat down, hired a LAT and GAT and started scripting, it definitely would not have worked out as well in my opinion (maybe I am wrong but there almost had to have been planning involved).

As an example: he contacted me on AIM at one point while I was Manager, attempting to get me to make changes to the server and add things he had planned out. Naturally I said no, it being Yen who was globally banned at that point, but that is not the point. The point is:

He had it planned out perfectly. He had all the scripts finished already, just needing to be uploaded. He had all the graphics, ganis and levels that were required already made. From what he was saying, I got the feeling that this was already planned in the early stages of Zodiac and would have been implemented had he not gotten himself into trouble with just about everybody and gotten himself banned.

There are other examples, but Zodiac just sticks out as one server, that looking at it from experience, I feel could not have been started or released without thorough planning.

Just my two cents.
~le sigh~

"I'm not going to waste time and explain something I want when I'd rather take the time and see what the collaborative group wants."

I only started this simple idea to see who would actually do anything. Now all I've seen is people argue about how I should go about handling what I now don't even plan to make, as hiro was the only one that offered any help other than offering me advice about how to go about doing something -.-
Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Alright, well I talked with Aeko a bit via. PM.

I don't mean to tell anyone "Never make a UC server."

I think it is more about the risks. Is it worth it to risk banking time and effort on something like that succeeding?

Personally, I would choose to invest time into already-made projects that have been around, and have proven that they work.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:33 AM
Graal Developer
Sage_Shadowbane will become famous soon enough
Aeko, personally I think that you offering to buy a server for people to collab on a server with was a rather nice gesture. But really I don't think you would've been promoting any type of "collaboration" by defining it as the type of server that you want to be.

Obviously you're probably going to try to bring up the argument of "Well, I'm paying for the server so I should be able to choose the type of server it should be". But really if any collaboration should be created within this thread I think it should be something "Outside of the box". I honestly wouldn't want to see some type of "Graal Revival" project and than as soon as that project starts and the ideas begin flowing it's already labeled as "Zodiac RPG style" or "RPG" or anything of the sort, I would really love to see something new, different, and innovative brought to the table. But unfortunately it seems that apparently no one can do this as it seems everyone that plays Graal is stuck in some type of void where if they create a server they lack to imagination to try and create a different styled/themed server.

I don't know but if anyone decides that they want to create something different and wants to begin forming a team, let me know the plans and if all seems fine and dandy I'd surely be willing to hop on the band wagon.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialistic View Post
What kind of server do we need Crono?

UN is Classic
N-Pulse is soon to be RPG
Zodiac is RPG
Era is Modern
Val is RPG

What do we need Crono, more RPG servers?
"classic IS classic"
Old 01-15-2010, 07:48 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
classic is UC

(8
Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Classic is dead.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 01-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Atrius Manager
TheJames can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
Classic is dead.

Point proven, anyone? lol.

James,
Manager of Atrius
Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Prinking Droblem
Geno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Geno
what you need is a server with full time paid staff. paid to be on every day. make constant updates. paid to work. maybe just maybe graal could take the approach other online games take :O!!!

thats the only way graal will ever have a steady player base now that its just a washed up game no one really plays anymore
Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
what you need is a server with full time paid staff. paid to be on every day. make constant updates. paid to work. maybe just maybe graal could take the approach other online games take :O!!!

thats the only way graal will ever have a steady player base now that its just a washed up game no one really plays anymore
Well those games typically have a detailed project plan, throwing money at the problem isn't necessarily going to solve anything except set them back a few dollars.