Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2010, 06:26 AM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
I can assure you it's a lot harder than sitting on the forums telling everyone you can do better when you have nothing to show for it.
I guarentee I could do better, but then again I never said I could do better or any way was trying to act condescending. So stop arguing Tig, and stop picking out stupid stuff thats totally off-topic.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialistic View Post
I guarentee I could do better, but then again I never said I could do better or any way was trying to act condescending. So stop arguing Tig, and stop picking out stupid stuff thats totally off-topic.
I have to agree with Imperialistic. seems really out of place to start arguing.

Now Imperialistic's comments seem pretty right on. Im no LAT but I still have an eye for levels. I've also seen Imperialistic's leveling. Its pretty good so I can trust his opinion.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 PM
graal player lord
*just to add it in*

Definetly respect Crono's opinions, he has taught me alot. I think it might be the cliffs that Crono doesn't like, he's anal about his cliffs xd.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 PM
(Developer)
DarkIceX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
An opinion is not going to change my ways of understanding.
And then again you're assuming that it's "hard work", pretty quick to stand up for someone.

I can't really just sit here and tell the guy what he's doing wrong, I just know that they are mostly sloppy, and not enough detail.
There are attractive tree's so take advantage of them, the path looks a little to much chunky and wide, and the grass detail is just fail.
So are you saying you want a level so full of trees you can't move, a tiny little path that would be almost too small to walk on and a level so full of grass detail that it looks crowded?

You're not being very specific, either be more specific and tell me what's "fail" about the grass detailing (and apparently the rest of the level) or stop posting. Crono told me what he does not like about the level personally and it was good constructive criticism. I will be taking it into account. What you're doing is more on the level of full out bashing, so please rethink your replies.

I know I'm rusty, I know I haven't done any levels in about a year, but I'm not going to get my style just right like it was before if people are only telling me "lul ur gras detaliz fael."

P.S. If you can't just sit there and tell people what they're doing wrong, you need to rethink being a LAT in the first place. It's really not hard. I did it the other day, in great detail and helped the person who PMed me quite a bit. I've seen Crono do it countless times as well as other people.

Thanks bro.

/rant

Bloodvayne
Old 01-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
lol I screwed up one of my levels that used layers the other day by opening it up in editor and changing a script and saving it. Completely forgot! Luckily the layers weren't heavily used, only moved everything onto layer 1... but Stefan, can you please make just a minor edit to the editor to not poop on layers? That way people don't have to worry about random people making edits to layered levels and messing them up!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 PM
(Developer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
lol I screwed up one of my levels that used layers the other day by opening it up in editor and changing a script and saving it. Completely forgot! Luckily the layers weren't heavily used, only moved everything onto layer 1... but Stefan, can you please make just a minor edit to the editor to not poop on layers? That way people don't have to worry about random people making edits to layered levels and messing them up!
That's one of our big worries at the moment with Maloria. Hopefully, if not adding in full layer support, Stefan can at least add some protection against people using Graal Editor.

Bloodvayne
Old 01-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I suggested this to Stefan today, who wondered if he could still compile it or not

He said he'd keep it in mind, but won't be prioritized. I also worked with him to fix some tile layer errors that's now resolved in his version of v6.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 01-07-2010, 11:47 PM
graal player lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkIceX View Post
So are you saying you want a level so full of trees you can't move, a tiny little path that would be almost too small to walk on and a level so full of grass detail that it looks crowded?
Your sarcasm is retarded.

Quote:
You're not being very specific, either be more specific and tell me what's "fail" about the grass detailing (and apparently the rest of the level) or stop posting. Crono told me what he does not like about the level personally and it was good constructive criticism. I will be taking it into account. What you're doing is more on the level of full out bashing, so please rethink your replies.

I know I'm rusty, I know I haven't done any levels in about a year, but I'm not going to get my style just right like it was before if people are only telling me "lul ur gras detaliz fael."

P.S. If you can't just sit there and tell people what they're doing wrong, you need to rethink being a LAT in the first place. It's really not hard. I did it the other day, in great detail and helped the person who PMed me quite a bit. I've seen Crono do it countless times as well as other people.

Thanks bro.

/rant
Do you want me to baby you?
Okay let's give it a shot.

Dear Relic,

Your level doesn't seem appealing to me and other people, no pun intended.
I think it might be because it's organized in a sloppy way. I feel as though if you need to put more of a creative touch and really try to expand your ways of imagination into your levels. Your level isn't so bad, I just see so much potential, keep practicing, and keep up the good work.

Love Always,
Imperialistic
Old 01-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Indigo
Immolate is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Dear Relic,

I think it might be because it's organized in a sloppy way. I feel as though if you need to put more of a creative touch and really try to expand your ways of imagination into your levels. Your level isn't so bad, I just see so much potential, keep practicing, and keep up the good work.

Love Always,
Imperialistic
Giving constructive criticism isn't babysitting. You should have just posted the the body of your faux letter in the first place without being such a complete arse :P
Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 AM
(Developer)
Quote:

Dear Relic,

Love Always,
Imperialistic
I don't think you understand the concept of constructive criticism very well. You don't seem to be very good at typing out what you find wrong specifically, when you're trying to help people improve. Until you can do so without the idiotic attitude I suggest you forget about it and I will review the levels myself (as i remember you used to kiss my *** over my levels when I was at my prime in developing) and find other, more experienced LATs than yourself, who can give a review of a level without the bull**** you seem to be unable to avoid when you post.

I'm not taking offense to your constructive criticism, don't get me wrong, It's just I haven't seen any thus far except for "ur gras detel falz" and "itz slopi". All I've seen is crappy attitude and a bad attempt at seeming like you're superior. I'll take those two points into account (although I'm still not sure what's sloppy about it and how the grass detailing fails, again because you suck at giving constructive criticism,) but if you want to give me anymore points, I suggest you rethink your approach, once again.

"Love always",
Relic

If anyone else has any real constructive criticism to give me, feel free, but please don't emulate Imperialistic's failure, it doesn't help.

Bloodvayne

Last edited by DarkIceX; 01-08-2010 at 02:56 AM..
Old 01-08-2010, 03:33 AM
graal player lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkIceX View Post
I don't think you understand the concept of constructive criticism very well. You don't seem to be very good at typing out what you find wrong specifically, when you're trying to help people improve. Until you can do so without the idiotic attitude I suggest you forget about it and I will review the levels myself (as i remember you used to kiss my *** over my levels when I was at my prime in developing) and find other, more experienced LATs than yourself, who can give a review of a level without the bull**** you seem to be unable to avoid when you post.

I'm not taking offense to your constructive criticism, don't get me wrong, It's just I haven't seen any thus far except for "ur gras detel falz" and "itz slopi". All I've seen is crappy attitude and a bad attempt at seeming like you're superior. I'll take those two points into account (although I'm still not sure what's sloppy about it and how the grass detailing fails, again because you suck at giving constructive criticism,) but if you want to give me anymore points, I suggest you rethink your approach, once again.

"Love always",
Relic

If anyone else has any real constructive criticism to give me, feel free, but please don't emulate Imperialistic's failure, it doesn't help.
You seem to care that I give a hoot about you personally, I don't care if I'm offending if you assume it that way. On another note, you announcing that I worship(ed) you is a complete idiotic way of insulting me, and your noob translations of my speech is highly immature.

In no way am I trying to act condescending towards you I'm just flattered that you're taking the time to argue with me.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:48 AM
graal player lord
*SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST*

On a real note, I'm deciding to be thoughtful for once.

I don't know how you or other people usually do their grass detail, but I like to make mine look sort of unpredictable and not so boring. I've uploaded an image of an example of a piece of my detailing.

I've uploaded an image of your level.
The Red Circles highlight a few stuff as listed:
Either
-Not Enough Detail
-Too boring
-Expand with it
-I don't understand it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imp-fix.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	50185  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp imp-detail.bmp (379.7 KB, 120 views)
Old 01-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Babylon OG
Lord Sephiroth will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Lord Sephiroth
If my opinion matters at all, I agree with -some- of what Imp is saying. A couple of the things he circled I don't have any major problems with, unless its drastically overused (mostly talking about the grass-on-grass off-levels that he circled).

I never really liked tables on outsides. Those types of things were meant for insides and it really tends to drag away from the level.

To be honest, I "like" what's being shown, but there are things to be improved upon. The biggest issue that I have is actually the trees that everyone has been praising. They just seem a little off to me in terms of mixing with the rest of the tileset. Like they draw attention away from anything else in the level. And when you put the two of them in such close proximity without having them properly combined, it just looks, for lack of a better term, sloppy, like someone dropped a couple of NPC trees around the level.

Just my take. I've never really seen the need for layers. In my opinion the layer editor is just a cop-out for LATs that don't know how to be creative with one layer.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 AM
graal player lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sephiroth View Post
my take. I've never really seen the need for layers. In my opinion the layer editor is just a cop-out for LATs that don't know how to be creative with one layer.
Well, I sort of agree with you here.

Layers can improve the levels of Graal in tremendous ways, but it can also be a cop-out for people without a good imagination and way to use it.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Fry has a spectacular aura about
When I'm rich and never need to work again I'll fix Gonstruct ok, with how things look, that might just happen before the online level editor.

Top 3 servers at the moment (players):