Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
A lot of on-line games use this method as a means to keep accounts safe, or safer than if the company decided to let players use a password of their choice.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emera View Post
A lot of on-line games use this method as a means to keep accounts safe, or safer than if the company decided to let players use a password of their choice.
I play popular games and all of them let you choose your own password.

Dota 2, HoN, Starcraft 2, Minecraft, (WoW and LoL, two gigantic games that i don't play) let you choose your own password.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
A lot of on-line games use this method as a means to keep accounts safe
No, they really don't. I play an extreme amount of online games that surface on the market, and the ONLY things that pestered me about passwords have been Graal and EVE Online, but at least the latter let me chose my own one but with some restrictions.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 02-23-2012, 07:13 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Eight character passwords are not safe* anymore, and it's been like that for quite a while. It's generally one of the worst ideas to not let customers choose their own passwords.

Edit: I should've explained:
* safe in terms of brute force; doesn't really take that long anymore to brute force an eight character password, as long as the service allows enough attempts per minute.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:01 AM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezzy002 View Post
Myself being a real programmer, I'm going to call you out, just based on this post, your name, your signature, and avatar, that you're one of those annoying kids.
Calling me out? My knowledge in the field of computer security and programming are quite vast. With over 4 years of experience, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to malicious software. When people say "keylogger" I think of the literal meaning. Yes, I know software now days can log and steal just about whatever but they are no longer called keyloggers they are called a multi-logger or account/information stealer.

If you would like to explain how I come off like a kid to you, please feel free to PM me.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:43 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
Quote:
lmao wat
Old 02-24-2012, 04:36 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Bottom line that forcing generated passwords on users forces them to store the password somewhere(usually saving the email) meaning it's actually easier to obtain than letting them choose their own and keeping the password in their head.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Banned
DARKVILLIN has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to DARKVILLIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Bottom line that forcing generated passwords on users forces them to store the password somewhere(usually saving the email) meaning it's actually easier to obtain than letting them choose their own and keeping the password in their head.
^This is True...
Old 02-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Coder
Gunderak is on a distinguished road
The moral of this thread is, "let us choose our own password".

Gund for president.

Remote PM {P*}x (Graal813044) from eraiphone -> Stefan: I hav 1 qustion
*Gunderak: he hav 1
*Gunderak: qustion
Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Well the new standard seems to be to generate a password, but also allow setting your own password if it meets some security level. We will probably need to add that sometime, but make it inside the game, not on website.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Coder
Gunderak is on a distinguished road
Ok sounds good.
Maybe even make the sign up completely available through the game without opening an external url.

Gund for president.

Remote PM {P*}x (Graal813044) from eraiphone -> Stefan: I hav 1 qustion
*Gunderak: he hav 1
*Gunderak: qustion
Old 02-25-2012, 07:07 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Well the new standard seems to be to generate a password, but also allow setting your own password if it meets some security level. We will probably need to add that sometime, but make it inside the game, not on website.
What kind of services do you use? None of the major sites/services I use generate my password for me at all.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Ignorance has no future
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
In my personal opinion I think that passwords should be as simple as you want them to be - sort of a last line of defense. Why can't we protect our game accounts like we protect our bank accounts with security questions upon every login or registering our specific computer to the account. Tedious I will agree, but people especially in our generation invest a lot of money into games and to have that taken away is basically getting robbed. I hope things like voice recognition will become standard for things that require passwords - as we move forward in the technological age I hope most computers will come equipped with a decent mic.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:42 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
In my personal opinion I think that passwords should be as simple as you want them to be - sort of a last line of defense. Why can't we protect our game accounts like we protect our bank accounts with security questions upon every login or registering our specific computer to the account. Tedious I will agree, but people especially in our generation invest a lot of money into games and to have that taken away is basically getting robbed. I hope things like voice recognition will become standard for things that require passwords - as we move forward in the technological age I hope most computers will come equipped with a decent mic.
Graal already has some nice protections built in, they just need to be fixed. PCID locking is great, but we need a way to reset the allowed PCIDs without contacting the PWA, and we need PCIDs to be fixed to be unique for each player again (it's common for multiple players to share a PCID). PCIDs also have some other issues.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
i doubt anyone invests a lot of money into graal. Well maybe them USDers