Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2006, 07:12 AM
Criminal X
PrinceDark will become famous soon enough
Quote:
// Stuff by Xaviour
Unless you can filter out a persons intent, someone can be just as offensive, mean, and cruel with "bad words" as without them.
Definitely. Not everyone needs cuss words to be offensive. I can say more offensive comments without cusswords than I do with them. From what I've seen the current filter works just fine. The staff just need to enfore rules. If GPs don't care to enforce them, then they shouldn't be staff.

Quote:
// Stuff by Moonie
Just like in real life, there are conseguences for everything that you do/say.
You can pretty much do/say whatever you want, but you better be able to handle the consequences for your actions afterwards....
Pfft. Can't compare. In real life we have lawyers to defend freedom of speech rights and most of the time they win.

Quote:
// Stuff by Yen
... I prefer to know which obscenities are being hurled at me.
You wouldn't believe how much you can surmise about someone's intelligence from their insults.
If you receive a list of randomly placed cuss-words, it's safe to assume the person is a retard.
On the other hand, if they throw a string of well placed cusses at you, you can assume the opposite.
Haha. You actually got a good point on that. It probably won't hold much to this discussion, but it is so true.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:19 AM
Eagle will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Eagle
A mandatory filter is just about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Let people do whatever the hell they want to do.

GP's have a purpose you know. I bet about 90% of the players could care less if they saw a curse word, as they are apart of most people's vocabulary.

AIM : FCartman007
Old account - 190
Old 01-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Sing the Sorrow
Matthew White is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Matthew White Send a message via MSN to Matthew White
It's ridiculous to remove all filters. You have to realize that even though we're not, some children play this game. It's not all disgruntled middle aged and young adults, there are young kids! And to them, seeing some idiot sit in the trade room belching on about all of the **** and **** he's seeing on this website while his parents aren't home, or what a mother*** ***** dog-*** **** **** plastic toy ** ***** **** *******in the refigerator his girlfriend is, can be very disturbing, and confusing, and when the parents hear tell, bye bye customers, hello hate-mail!

Matthew M. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
Originally Posted by unixmad
ton Français est presque impossible à comprendre

Ton Anglais est presque impossible à comprendre. Nous ne plaignons pas.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:17 PM
I never asked for this.
Raeiphon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew White
It's ridiculous to remove all filters. You have to realize that even though we're not, some children play this game. It's not all disgruntled middle aged and young adults, there are young kids! And to them, seeing some idiot sit in the trade room belching on about all of the **** and **** he's seeing on this website while his parents aren't home, or what a mother*** ***** dog-*** **** **** plastic toy ** ***** **** *******in the refigerator his girlfriend is, can be very disturbing, and confusing, and when the parents hear tell, bye bye customers, hello hate-mail!
I'm seriously considering quoting that, it's probably the funniest thing i've ever read to date.. XD

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Over Nine THOUSAND!!!!!!!
davidpsy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to davidpsy
I really see nothing wrong morally with cussing, but I understand that it is tabooed.

Forces greater than your self, can be over come.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:10 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew White
It's ridiculous to remove all filters.
UR WRONG OLOL!!

Quote:
You have to realize that even though we're not, some children play this game. It's not all disgruntled middle aged and young adults, there are young kids!
We know. On GK there is also blood and bones but no one complains right?

Quote:
And to them, seeing some idiot sit in the trade room belching on about all of the **** and **** he's seeing on this website while his parents aren't home, or what a mother*** ***** dog-*** **** **** plastic toy ** ***** **** *******in the refigerator his girlfriend is, can be very disturbing, and confusing
No it can't. Not only that but it's typical for anyone over 10 to know this kinda stuff. Even if they don't it's not going to scar them for the rest of their life. We all didn't know these words and had ti learn somehow, why not make it a game they actually play ;D

Quote:
and when the parents hear tell, bye bye customers, hello hate-mail!
No, I don't think so. Most young young kids who play graal aren't upgraded. Even if they were, their parents would know what kinda game they are playing. I wouldn't mind cleansing graal of little immature kids who giggle and suicide because someone said ****.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned
Yen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Yen Send a message via MSN to Yen
Pff. In three years, kids'll be watching Sesame Street, and then..
'The word of the day is ****! Can you spell ****? F.. U..'

My French teacher was going on about how cool it was that they said **** on Degrassi, while now a days **** is every 5th word on pretty much any TV show.
The chances of anyone being offended by cussing in this age is extremely low.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Over Nine THOUSAND!!!!!!!
davidpsy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to davidpsy
Well good, and maybe then it won't become so socially tabooed.

Forces greater than your self, can be over come.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Corp1 is on a distinguished road
OMG PEOPLE ARE CURSING!

Grow up, the older you get the more you curse and think of perverted crap...I actually think that Graal is pretty clean compared to what I hear and see everyday. Graal is clean enough already, you people that think otherwise need to come out of that protective shield you are under.

Graal is fine, no other filters are needed...(end thread here)

Last edited by Darlene159; 01-20-2006 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Don't evade the swear filter
Old 01-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corp1
OMG PEOPLE ARE CURSING!

Grow up, the older you get the more you curse and think of perverted crap...I actually think that Graal is pretty clean compared to what I hear and see everyday. Graal is clean enough already, you people that think otherwise need to come out of that protective shield you are under.

Graal is fine, no other filters are needed...(end thread here)
Not everyone thinks the same way as you do.
I am 40, I dont type curse words (although I do curse in R/L), I don't type or do perverted things on Graal, I don't run around sexually harrassing players.
To say the older a person gets, the more they do these things is complete fabrication.
Graal is cleaner then R/L because of the filters, and the staff that do their jobs, but it could be better.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 01-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Inferno (Level Designer)
Infernix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Infernix
Ok, I believe that cursing on graal is wrong depending on how you use it. I believe that directing it towards somone offensively is wrong. But, if anything Ive always believe that graal has completely failed in being able to keep harassment down. GPs are there to stop harassment and cursing, true? Well, fact is that many of these GPs who are suppose to enforce the rules break the rules or fail at being able to catch those who do.

Im am pro to the idea of a built in cencorship system into graal. Yet I believe it should be optional. Graal as a game, is well interesting somewhat. But graal is basicly played because of its community not for it gameplay. Taking away the right to say what you want to say would lower the interaction of the people.

Infact, I believe graal shouldnt even have GPs. I believe that should be some sort of revise to the whole way this game handles Hacking,Harassment,and Cursing. Seriously over the 6 years Ive played graal I believe that graal has completely failed at this.......sadly Im the effing proof that its failed if you know me well.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:10 PM
http://wiki.graal.us/
adam has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to adam
Well as for the things other than cursing, using sarcasm and witty remarks to tear a person down or intentionally trying to ruin any sort of reputation they had is also well in abound.

Especially in the scripting forum, which few dare even use nowdays.

Here is a good example of what kind of sarcasm they use to damage people.
Read carefully, every part of it is ended in some sarcastic remark intended to hurt.
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...05&postcount=6

For development help, contact the patrons of the #graaldt irc channel below, I am usually there.
Click Here to Join IRC Chat Now! -- irc.freenode.net Channel: #graaldt
Quote:
<Dustyshouri> no, RogueShadow is always talking about scripts lol
<Dustyshouri> in fact, he pretty much brought Graal back as a topic single-handedly
Old 01-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Banned
Antago is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam
Well as for the things other than cursing, using sarcasm and witty remarks to tear a person down or intentionally trying to ruin any sort of reputation they had is also well in abound.

Especially in the scripting forum, which few dare even use nowdays.

Here is a good example of what kind of sarcasm they use to damage people.
Read carefully, every part of it is ended in some sarcastic remark intended to hurt.
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...05&postcount=6
I personally did not see Lance being sarcastic at all after glancing over it once, and I myself am no fan of sarcasm and am quite aware of when it is being used.

I will agree however that people on Graal are very sarcastic usually, very condescending, arrogant, and misinformed when it comes to being happy. Consequently most of them, having been harrassed, insulted, and abused, remain unforgiving, and as a result this unforgiveness leaves them addicted to Graal in order to somehow "prove" something.

Unforgiveness merely ties your consciousness to the abuser, and this is not the way to bring peace into your self. So, this is a serious problem, I remember long ago when I co-managed Graal2001 and it was released that everyone was being so self-centered and mean, insulting me, complaining to me, about me, telling me how much I suck, this and that, and I know I didn't deserve it. I held out for a long time, then eventually after having broke down and cried, I decided to quit which was probably one of the highest staff positions, because truly my well-being is worth more than a job. Then again, I wasn't even getting paid for it, and this is true for most people.

You work so hard for free, and then the harrassment and immaturity of your fellow men in this world come and try to discourage you. Then when you're gone and their goodies are gone, they complain about that. If I personally owned Graal, I would be banning these people left and right because there's no reason for someone in a high position of authority to break down and cry and quit because the harrassment is so great. I was generously and charitably giving my time, and honestly I don't think much of this death consciousness has left Graal, and I do think it's important for something to extensively be done about it.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Angelus
petro1212 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to petro1212 Send a message via MSN to petro1212
Cuss filters are pretty weird.. since how can you check for the contex of a word. E.g cuss filters mostly ban a word like g ay, but you can say lesbian/dyke/camp on a server. Filters filter out words such as ****.. but you can say tit :P!

Ontop of that simply avoid people that annoiy you and if you do not like the entire server, find another one. If people sexualy harras you just go "God.. why did you make my pixels so attractive" And what can genuinly be seen as sexual harrasment? If someone does the pull graal animation nexto/on you?
Old 01-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Banned
Antago is on a distinguished road
This is interactive art, it is very serious. When you look at the art, and a woman last night agreed with me, you mostly get the artist's impression from it. Art has a profound affect on people, from uplifting them to dragging them down into depression.

Graal is a serious, serious art-museum. When you have all sorts of artists presenting negative energy through it as a portal, there is a lot of danger.