Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2010, 06:50 PM
http://wiki.graal.us/
adam has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to adam
Team/Project Management

I posted here to ask different playerworlds, How does your playerworld manage it's team of developers? What kind of conventions do you use to keep everybody in the loop, dish out assignments, discuss things, etc.

Is there a website invovled?
Do use comments?
Do you used text files in the File Browser?
What do you do?

For development help, contact the patrons of the #graaldt irc channel below, I am usually there.
Click Here to Join IRC Chat Now! -- irc.freenode.net Channel: #graaldt
Quote:
<Dustyshouri> no, RogueShadow is always talking about scripts lol
<Dustyshouri> in fact, he pretty much brought Graal back as a topic single-handedly
Old 08-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Ruins:

I keep the lowest staff team possible with experienced people that I trust.
I enforce rules and my decisions on how things should be done, when and why, but I still ask for my staffs' opinions.

We use comments to store list of ideas, things to do (/opencomments todolist).
We don't have a website but I plan to have one soon.
We mostly talk on msn when the full team is not on RC at the same time and/or when someone is busy with X thing.

Anything else you'd like to ask ? =)
Old 08-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
Although the most I people I have managed over has been 2, I found using text files is much better than using comments because people can't be like 'I forgot what comment this and that was in so I couldn't check it'

These are the rights I usually give out;
PHP Code:
r notes/*
rw notes/accountname_*
r notes/documentation/*
r notes/assignments/*
r notes/old/*
r notes/old/*/

It allows people to leave notes if needed and lets people see what other people are also working on to keep them motivated.

Comments are just too easily forgotten which is a problem. With this it is also easy to back up all the notes if needed without accidently forgetting a few.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
I've tried using a Wiki but it's just not worth the extra time to setup, teach others, and maintain.

Comments seem to be the most effective for collaboration on Graal, resorting only to txt files when the information is sensitive enough. I usually use.. *projects, *<project> and *<project>_assignments

All communication through RC, I don't want to be annoyed over my messengers because what I do on Graal. If they can't log on RC or Graal, then they probably can't work (or don't want to) either.

A simple Gantt chart add-on for RC would work great for project management though.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
MSN dictatorship.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
All staff discussions/ideas/thoughts etc. are handled through a private section of Maloria's forums. I find that it works pretty good, but for some reason a lot of individuals have issues with wanting to use forums for anything.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 08-18-2010, 07:50 PM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
AIM dictatorship

chris tried to make us use a website once
Old 08-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquirt View Post
AIM dictatorship

chris tried to make us use a website once
I didn't mind that but it should have been eras offical forums and just had a private section for staff.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 PM
I like the idea of having everything handled through RC, although I'm not opposed if there was a well-established easy to use in-game method as well. But it seems just too difficult to use something external. I mean, especially if the team isn't really meshing, or existent as it is, something external definitely doesn't seem like it would help.

For development help, contact the patrons of the #graaldt irc channel below, I am usually there.
Quote:
<Dustyshouri> in fact, he pretty much brought Graal back as a topic single-handedly
Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Retired
SlikRick is on a distinguished road
Once plans are finalized by management/administration we put the plans on our forums in a private section for staff and give all staff a chance to respond with any questions or ideas they have to make the plans better. After that we are using comments right now, but Matt is in the process of installing/updating a project manager for our website.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Deas
Deas_Voice is a jewel in the roughDeas_Voice is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Deas_Voice Send a message via MSN to Deas_Voice Send a message via Yahoo to Deas_Voice
ive worked on playerworlds that tried to use text files but they failed after some time (due new people/staffs on the server, and no body gives them rights to those files).

comments vs textfiles, i think comments wins, if you document them, like in serveroptions.
since 2003~
I Support~
ღAeonღ | ღTestbedღ | ღDelteriaღ

if you are going to rep me, don't be an idiot, leave your name!
I got nothing but love for you
Old 08-18-2010, 10:01 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I tried a couple of things for Era but ultimately just fell back to comments. The problem is that even with reminders on RC like "5 new posts since your last login to the Era Staff Forums!", for some reason staff still neglect reading them.

I'd love to have used a wiki but I think the same problem would have existed (staff not wanting to use it, lol).

EDIT: Google Docs is also great for collaboration on Graal. I've found uses for both spreadsheets and documents. You can even use "forms" for creating and organizing hiring applications.

Last edited by cbk1994; 08-18-2010 at 10:14 PM..
Old 08-18-2010, 11:32 PM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
I've added a project manager to the N-Pulse site so that's how most assignments/projects will be managed. For quite small tasks, we just use comments and the file manager.

We were using some Google tool (I forgot the name) before, but the interface wasn't too good.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Retired
SlikRick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I've added a project manager to the N-Pulse site so that's how most assignments/projects will be managed. For quite small tasks, we just use comments and the file manager.

We were using some Google tool (I forgot the name) before, but the interface wasn't too good.
Google Wave
Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 AM
I really enjoyed google Wave, but everybody stopped responding to me

Quote: