Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-15-2008, 11:58 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Testbed Server

It's pretty common for old scripters from Graal to return and be completely lost in the new scripting language. It's also common for people who want to learn how to script to not have the proper resources.

I think we can really boost the scripter pool by providing a 'test' server for scripters to practice their skills and mess around on. It would need to be moderated by trusted scripters who can act professional. That's not my concern though:

- There would be inherit security risks with giving a bunch of scripters rights on a server, but can you think of anyone really abusing GS2? Generally scripters just want a place to script. Not abuse.

- I know this has been discussed before, but what if we actually do it? Do you have suggestions on how it should be run? Each scripter would get their own folder and then perhaps we could have a DBNPC monitor levels so that scripters can have 'private' levels if necessary?

Does anyone have any other suggestions/ideas? If we could expand this out of just scripting it would be great, a 'Developer Testing Server' for even level makers and graphics people to test their work. There would have to be certain rules on this server too in order to protect uploaded content so people can't steal it for their own server, etc.

I think it's time we try to improve the Graal developer pool. What do you guys say?

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 11-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I did this with Developers Circle, but sadly it didn't garner enough attention to keep it actively used, so the owner took it back.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:01 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I agree, this would be a great way for new scripters to learn. Would be best if it was official, so that Stefan could adjust the server to give access to everyone and give them rights automatically. I don't know if he'd be willing to do that, however.

You'd also have problems with people abusing things like destroy(). For example, findWeapon( "Tigairius/WeaponIWorkedHardOn" ).destroy() which would delete that weapon. That would probably have to be fixed, likely by Stefan.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:01 AM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I did this with Developers Circle, but sadly it didn't garner enough attention to keep it actively used, so the owner took it back.
That's kind of what I figured would happen with this server, which is why I'm putting it here to see if it's even worth the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
You'd also have problems with people abusing things like destroy(). For example, findWeapon( "Tigairius/WeaponIWorkedHardOn" ).destroy() which would delete weapon. That would probably have to be fixed, likely by Stefan.
Yes, that's also very true, I already figured we'd need to get Stefan involved.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:05 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
It would be a great idea, if you could get Stefan and Unixmad to agree on Lifetime subscribers being able to access it, too.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:06 AM
The Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
Lifetime subscribers being able to access it
I agree.

It's pretty obvious that if we wanted this to be a successful idea the GServer would need to be customized. However, if everyone could have access to it then it could be a great way for developers to team up and meet each other. It could only improve the quality of Graal.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Playerworld Administrator
HoudiniMan is on a distinguished road
When I had the idea I did think of a lot of reasons this wouldn't work.

Abusing it is the biggest one we would have to deal with...

But for now let's just DO IT. We can find trustworthy people to manage it and if somebody abuses their access we remove it.

Let's just do it and get some momentum.

NOW!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Inverness agrees. And you can prevent a simple serverside destroy in a weapon by defining destroy().
Old 11-16-2008, 12:23 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯
Chompy is just really niceChompy is just really niceChompy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Chompy
But, who would manage the server though?
Old 11-16-2008, 12:29 AM
The Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy View Post
But, who would manage the server though?
Global Scripting Team and PWA along with a few other trusted developers.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:32 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯
Chompy is just really niceChompy is just really niceChompy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Chompy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
Global Scripting Team and PWA along with a few other trusted developers.
Sounds good.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Deas
Deas_Voice is a jewel in the roughDeas_Voice is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Deas_Voice Send a message via MSN to Deas_Voice Send a message via Yahoo to Deas_Voice
great!

so, we are getting a server or is it going to be a player owner server?
since 2003~
I Support~
ღAeonღ | ღTestbedღ | ღDelteriaღ

if you are going to rep me, don't be an idiot, leave your name!
I got nothing but love for you
Old 11-16-2008, 12:36 AM
The Cat
We can start small for now though, if we can get a server to start it on we can get this started. It was Houdini's idea to begin with, so he'll be helping manage it and then we'll build from there.

We need to find means of a server though. We'll get it started ASAP instead of sitting around talking about it. At first you'll need to let us know that you want an RC there, then you can have it. Maybe in the future it can be such a large server that everyone can automatically have their own little 'corner' to themselves without even having to ask.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:39 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Inverness agrees. And you can prevent a simple serverside destroy in a weapon by defining destroy().
Yeah, but it would be ideal if Stefan could simply disable that on the testbed server, since this is for, after all, new scripters, who may not know this. I didn't know it, either
Old 11-16-2008, 01:12 AM
oh snaps
napo_p2p has a spectacular aura aboutnapo_p2p has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to napo_p2p Send a message via MSN to napo_p2p
I like this idea. Plus, I get asked a lot of questions, and it would be nice to have a special place to help people directly with their scripts.
Tempus neminem non manet.
Noli manere tempus.
Carpe Diem

Seize the Day.