Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:01 AM
N-Pulse Assistant Manager
coreys has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to coreys Send a message via MSN to coreys Send a message via Yahoo to coreys
Why GS2?

I come back to Graal for the first time in over a year to ask this:

Why GS2?

No, seriously, Stefan, why? I mean, no offense, it's more than I'm capable of as a programmer, but why reinvent the wheel, especially when you can't reinvent it better? It would have been much easier integrate an existing scripting language like Perl or Python (Python being the best choice in my opinion) rather than create your own, and those languages are much faster than GS2. MUCH faster. Scripters would be capable of a lot more.

For example, I see people have been trying to implement A* lately. Anyone who knows enough about this algorithm should know that it is impossible with GS2 to make it run fast enough to be usable in a real game play environment. They probably won't be able to implement other AI features standard in video games these days, like Behavior Trees and HTN Planners.

Not to mention GS2 has a rather half-assed class system, if you can even call it that.

I suggest using Python, but, hey, that's just me. It's probably too late to be switching from that, anyways.

Quote:
*SlikRick: so should I even ask about your aim status?
*Xor: well if you want to
*Xor: but i am LARPING
*SlikRick: While on a computer?
*Xor: yes
*Xor: in my living room
*SlikRick: ahh
*Xor: i have a fort setup to hide from beasts
Old 10-03-2009, 10:32 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Backwards compatibility.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreys View Post
Anyone who knows enough about this algorithm should know that it is impossible with GS2 to make it run fast enough to be usable in a real game play environment.
I disagree. I've seen three versions implemented and tested in various environments without any slowdowns or lag.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 10-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Pelikano has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Python? LOL

If he'd do that, Graal would have about 3 "programmers", GS2 is so freaking easy compared to other languages.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:11 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikano View Post
Python? LOL

If he'd do that, Graal would have about 3 "programmers", GS2 is so freaking easy compared to other languages.
And Python is not? Lua is "easy" as well, and so on. It's not like the other languages are complicated.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Not another "Let's get rid of GScript and replace it with something else" thread. Stefan previously said this about replacing the scripting language with Lua:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Lua is much much simplier than languages like Graal Script, Flash etc., and is easier to optimize. However there are few things that make it not good for our use: the syntax is very different to C/C++/Java/JavaScript/Flash/Graal Script, and of course most Graal stuff is not existing or at least not in the extend we are using them (join/leave classes, sleep/waitfor, variable scope, dynamic allocation of variables, automatic event binding etc. etc.). So it's quite interesting, but not a drop-in replacement. If we ever switch to another language or system then only for speed (e.g. a just-in-time compiler which exist for all platforms, including iphone, llvm might be the light at the end of the tunnel) or for better compatibility with code from other platforms, including Flash and Java programs.
Now, let's accept that GScript2 exists and that we're not using Python/Lua and move on with our lives.