Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Televangelist is on a distinguished road
Playerworlds vs Xtremeworlds?

Hi all,

I've seen mentions in a few places on the internet of Playerworlds being 'defunct' or declining due to Xtremeworlds being a more advanced version of the same thing... but then I also hear people complaining about Xtremeworlds being very limited, whereas Playerworlds seems very flexible and modifiable (and looking at these boards and the various Playerworlds games, things actually feel fairly active!).

I tried searching these forums for opinions on Xtremeworlds and didn't come up with anything. Could someone explain the key differences between the two? Clearly there are avid users of both... do they each have their own strengths and weaknesses?
Old 08-21-2011, 01:41 AM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Televangelist View Post
Hi all,

I've seen mentions in a few places on the internet of Playerworlds being 'defunct' or declining due to Xtremeworlds being a more advanced version of the same thing... but then I also hear people complaining about Xtremeworlds being very limited, whereas Playerworlds seems very flexible and modifiable (and looking at these boards and the various Playerworlds games, things actually feel fairly active!).

I tried searching these forums for opinions on Xtremeworlds and didn't come up with anything. Could someone explain the key differences between the two? Clearly there are avid users of both... do they each have their own strengths and weaknesses?
Never heard of these xtremeworlds
Old 08-21-2011, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emera View Post
Never heard of these xtremeworlds
It's forked from the Mirage code-base, same as Playerworlds is: http://mmorpgmaker.org/

Some MMOs originally developed for PlayerWorlds moved over to the Xtremeworlds code base, such as Jerrath Online, moved over to Xtremeworlds over time.

It seems to be reasonably well suited to the sort of 'default' Graal gameplay, though I'm not sure if it's quite as extensible?
Old 08-21-2011, 01:48 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
This has nothing to do with Graal, at all. The "playerworlds" stuff you mentioned doesn't seem to have anything to do with it either. No idea what you're thinking, but Graal is its own game; closed source and not based on anything else. "Playerworlds" is just the term for your very own world/server here on Graal.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
This has nothing to do with Graal, at all. The "playerworlds" stuff you mentioned doesn't seem to have anything to do with it either. No idea what you're thinking, but Graal is its own game; closed source and not based on anything else. "Playerworlds" is just the term for your very own world/server here on Graal.
Really now!

So Jerrath Online was never a Graal playerworld, and Graal wasn't based off of the Mirage code-base?

If so, that's amazingly confusing (two separate MMO creation systems both called 'playerworlds'), but good to know.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:44 AM
Ignorance has no future
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
Before you start to develop here I will tell you this. Any content you make/use/upload to a server is owned by GraalOnline. So any content that you manufacture and upload is no longer yours and you may never use it for any other game ever. Unless you copyright your material (but I think Graal has then a right to remove it). You may want to look into the actual rules I am not quite certain if there are ways around it.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:56 AM
callimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
any content that you manufacture and upload is no longer yours
never heard of that
Old 08-21-2011, 03:04 AM
Jazz teh Awesome
oo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the roughoo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to oo_jazz_oo
Quote:
Originally Posted by callimuc View Post
never heard of that
If you read the terms and conditions and all that, it belongs to Stefan and Unixmad.

This is how they get away with uploading content from all servers to the iPhone and Facebook servers. Its on Graal, they own it. Simple as that.

As for OP: Graal is a game, but it is also a development platform. You are developing a server for this game, using the tools provided.
So, if you plan on making an independent MMO, Graal would not be the platform for you.
Since with Graal, you must go through their client, then connect to your server.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:15 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Well actually...there was a "Playerworlds" system, which Graal bought up. I remember because I was looking for it one time and it said something to the effect of, "Playerworlds has been bought by Cyberjours, here's the link" and that's how I got started here. It was rather neat, you did all the editing in game. You could specify each tile as ground, foreground, animated, or drawn above. Then you could tell it if you wanted the tile to block the player or to act as a "shop counter" so that you could talk to NPC's across from it.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 08-21-2011, 05:21 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirt362 View Post
Well actually...there was a "Playerworlds" system, which Graal bought up. I remember because I was looking for it one time and it said something to the effect of, "Playerworlds has been bought by Cyberjours, here's the link" and that's how I got started here.
Uhm, what?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo_jazz_oo View Post
If you read the terms and conditions and all that, it belongs to Stefan and Unixmad.

This is how they get away with uploading content from all servers to the iPhone and Facebook servers. Its on Graal, they own it. Simple as that.

As for OP: Graal is a game, but it is also a development platform. You are developing a server for this game, using the tools provided.
So, if you plan on making an independent MMO, Graal would not be the platform for you.
Since with Graal, you must go through their client, then connect to your server.
I've read the terms and conditions, and I'm actually... counting on that, almost?

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's ever been a case of Stefan and Unixmad stepping in and taking control of a server away from someone who was actively maintaining it, right?)

I have my own career. I'm financially solvent. The design I'm aiming for isn't particularly well-suited to making money. If I were working totally independently, figuring out all the 'hows' of integrating a payment system and an account management system would be massive pains-in-the-ass that would distract me from doing design work.

If I come up with something good, then Stefan and Unixmad have an incentive to get it onto iPhone and Facebook, get people seeing my work... and those additional eyeballs would be significantly more valuable to me than being able to somehow process my own subscription fees (and suffer through the hassles of figuring out my own hosting).
Old 08-21-2011, 07:04 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Quote:
I've read the terms and conditions, and I'm actually... counting on that, almost?

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's ever been a case of Stefan and Unixmad stepping in and taking control of a server away from someone who was actively maintaining it, right?)

I have my own career. I'm financially solvent. The design I'm aiming for isn't particularly well-suited to making money. If I were working totally independently, figuring out all the 'hows' of integrating a payment system and an account management system would be massive pains-in-the-ass that would distract me from doing design work.

If I come up with something good, then Stefan and Unixmad have an incentive to get it onto iPhone and Facebook, get people seeing my work... and those additional eyeballs would be significantly more valuable to me than being able to somehow process my own subscription fees (and suffer through the hassles of figuring out my own hosting).
Thank god someone else thinks this way. <3
Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
It's happened quite often. Once your server is Classic, it's no longer yours, although nobody will take it from you unless you stop working on it or break the playerworld rules too often.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
It's happened quite often. Once your server is Classic, it's no longer yours, although nobody will take it from you unless you stop working on it or break the playerworld rules too often.
What chris means to say is that if you get a server to classic status and it becomes popular, you must continue to keep it updated occasionally, or at least make sure it doesn't die. Or else, PWA or the likes of stefan and unixmad may reserve the right to replace you with someone more willing to keep the server in good shape.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
What chris means to say is that if you get a server to classic status and it becomes popular, you must continue to keep it updated occasionally, or at least make sure it doesn't die. Or else, PWA or the likes of stefan and unixmad may reserve the right to replace you with someone more willing to keep the server in good shape.
Gotcha. Has anyone ever declined the option of letting their server become 'classic'?

And has anyone been replaced simply because Stefan didn't like their design choices, rather than because they totally disappeared?