Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Banned
Devil has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Devil Send a message via MSN to Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
I like your use of bold.

However, we are taking all the ideals and themes of GTA and implementing them in the rebuild of Classic to make the server as fun as possible and foster a stronger community.
Good luck, that's all I have to say. There is no way that all this new junk that is going to be "implemented" will appeal to anyone who ever knew what classic actually meant to the player. Not like it's going to be finished either way.

If that's the case, change the damn server name. Let it die with some dignity.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
Delete everything.

Upload Graal The Adventure.

Put back on normal hosting tab.

Then play.
If it were that simple...
it would have been done in the first place.

Quote:
Well they're wasting their time now on pointless crap, re-doing the whole server, and making it into something it never should be.
If you logged onto the server and had a look around you'd notice that 90 percent of the overworld is exactly the same as what it was pre-npcserver,
there is also an area which dates back to before the overworld was organised into an island, apart from that there are some improvements, tile errors fixed etc.

I've said it before that old content can be salvaged,
but that it's a bad idea to do so entirely for the sake of it being old,
but that it should be done when it fits in with the aim, which is ultimately to create an adventure server, as was GTA.

A good example would be the Destiny pyramid, this is a well designed quest which fits well with what we'd like to have as our main dungeons, it would take alot of time to convert but could perhaps be worth it,
on the other hand without being too harsh something like Chaotica/Chaos Continuum was of a pretty poor standard, I liked the plot behind it however it was a big flat square island consisting of tasks containing countless default baddy halls and very little unique gameplay elements.

Quote:
They could better spend that time on converting the scripts to give the players what they want, instead of crap they will not like.
I don't see how you could possibly know what the players want, I don't recall you playing the server over the past several years, inwhich most of the community stuck around for event type content.
The vast majority of old players have moved on in life, and do not play Graal anymore.
Old content may be new to new players but in this case I don't believe they will be fooled by nostalgia into believing something is better than it actually is.

Last edited by ffcmike; 10-24-2009 at 12:03 AM..
Old 10-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
I don't see how you could possible know what the players want, I don't recall you playing the server over the past several years, inwhich most of the community stuck around for event type content.
Read what you just said.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Well they're wasting their time now on pointless crap, re-doing the whole server, and making it into something it never should be.

They could better spend that time on converting the scripts to give the players what they want, instead of crap they will not like.
you sure do know what WE WANT and what we WILL NOT LIKE, i dont recall seeing you play classic over past years.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnervNATx View Post
you sure do know what WE WANT and what we WILL NOT LIKE, i dont recall seeing you play classic over past years.
Quote:
WOW whoever Voted on CLASSIC is a retard classic suck today , only gta was good
Quote:
a certain server called graal the adventure was "popular" because of the quests its had.
Quote:
wow that video just remind me how gta was the best
His post totally contradicts what people have been saying, including yourself, over the years. Such a false representation of the community, eh?
Old 10-24-2009, 01:03 AM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
His post totally contradicts what people have been saying over the years, such a false representation of the community, eh? :'(
past is past

present is now.

hope you realised it now.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Quote:
past is past

present is now.

hope you realised it now.
Graal The Adventure didn't shutdown 5 months ago (when you made that last quote) but the server of Classic itself wasn't far off. If you're going to act high and mighty about playing Classic over the past years (arguably at its lowest point) then don't be a hypocrite about the opinions you've been repeating over the years.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Banned
What Rufus said.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:52 PM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
I can understand that Classic has gone down the toilet for years now and obviously no one is pleased. However, suggest something realistic, Jesus F'ing Christ. We've been at no shortage of people coming in and saying "OMG BRING BACK GTA" with the version of which to bring back ranging from 2004 back to 1998.
It isn't going to happen, you either need to convert it to NPC server coding standards or eliminate the NPC server.

No one is going to spend the time now to sit and convert all the scripts. It isn't the hardest work to do, but the scope of the work is tremendous. GTA contained over 5000 levels(I think it was something like 5784 or something, but I can't verify it atm). Throw in the fact that the work is mind-numbingly boring and thankless. No developer wants to spend their time converting someone elses work, they want to make improvements on existing things and work on their own work. Being able to express your creativity and allow others to enjoy your creation is what drives people to develop on this game for the most part, there is none of that in converting the work of others.

So clearly the answer is to get a server with no-NPC server right? I'm pretty sure not even Bell can make that call. So do you really think Stefan is going to approve of that? Good luck, lmao. Even if you got things to work by intentionally downing the NPC server, how long do you think before the management brought that to a halt? I'd give you a week, if that.

I'll be the first to say that I had the most fun out of this game way back then. However I'll be the first to admit that those times are in the past and aren't coming back, I enjoyed the levels back then, they were packed with content, they were fun. The levels weren't all of it though, not even close. The community is what sealed the deal for me and many many others back then, and the community, my friend, isn't something you can bring back from the past.

I really wish people would stop dropping in and drop one or two lines about how bringing back the old levels is the key to success. You're not the first person to do it, not even close. It doesn't accomplish anything, it isn't a new viewpoint or idea, all it is is annoying now.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 10-24-2009, 11:49 PM
-Ramirez- has a spectacular aura about
To be fair, converting the levels isn't the problem. The problem is that the scripts in the levels take longer to figure out than converting them takes. This becomes extremely frustrating/annoying. It's not really the total amount of work to be done that causes this. The vast majority of the levels have extremely repetitive scripts (or none) in them that can be replaced in minutes.

Another thing, now, is that there's no point in bothering. Everyone's gone and subscriptions are required (which cost ridiculous amounts of money). There's just no reason other than personal satisfaction to do it, and I doubt that's going to be present or enough for anyone at this point.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
STUFF.
To be honest, I don't really care what happens. I only wrote this thread to annoy somebody and clearly this sombody has been you.

I know it's never going to happen, and I know the "new classic" that's in the works won't even attract a couple of people when/if it's ever released/finished.

So well done for playing into my boredom.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
To be honest, I don't really care what happens. I only wrote this thread to annoy somebody and clearly this sombody has been you.

I know it's never going to happen, and I know the "new classic" that's in the works won't even attract a couple of people when/if it's ever released/finished.

So well done for playing into my boredom.
It probably would if ever completed to a playable state, but I doubt it's release anytime in the next year or so or maybe even at all.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 10-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
I really wish people would stop dropping in and drop one or two lines about how bringing back the old levels is the key to success. You're not the first person to do it, not even close. It doesn't accomplish anything, it isn't a new viewpoint or idea, all it is is annoying now.
I think this sums it up pretty well.
Closed Thread