Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Arca: Something I'm Working On

This stuff is all in the early stages, so it may or may not ever get finished. Also sorry for the really long post.

I might of talked to some of you about my idea for a server Well I've started working on sprites for skills, of which I have weapon skills and elemental spells worked out. Someday I'll actually start work on a tileset, and I'll probably use Gonstruct. I will not be paying for a server until I get a good chunk of the stuff done that I can offline.

For those of you not in the know, Arca will be a PVP based action RPG server in which you kill others to level. There will be a central hub where you can set up or join existing rooms to duke it out with your fellow Graal players. There will be different settings, locations, and modes for people to mess around with and a couple of open rooms where you can go and PK to your hearts content. I hope to add some PVE content as well with a central starting area (possibly a tavern?) in which you can party up with others and go questing.

The overworld GMAP itself will be limited to the city and the surrounding area, as a full blown overworld never really gets used and eats up a lot of development time.

Now to the good parts:Class and Skill system.
I've always liked the idea of customization for a character, with a large number of options and tactics to choose from to go into one's arsenal. So it got me thinking how that could be achieved. Each character will get several "slots" with which to place "skill sets." There's a slot for whatever weapon you happen to have equipped and then the other slots are for putting elemental magic sets and "class sets." Class sets are comprised of 30 different classes who each focus on something different. For example the Knight set has a collection of defensive moves for use with a shield, the Samurai's attacks cause a variety of status effects, and the Geomancer's attack skill changes based on the terrain it's on and can enhance elemental attacks. While in town you can freely swap these out as well as alter your stats, so if you feel like a change, all it takes is some clicking and you can completely rework your character to suit your tastes. There will however be a limit to the number of skills you can place on your hotbar, to encourage some planning.

Skills will be click to aim, there will be very few (if any) auto hit skills. Each skill/spell has a level, currently limited to 1 and 2. After you gain the initial skill you may upgrade it to a level 2 version in some fashion I haven't decided on yet. Sometimes this increases it's effect, other times it unlocks a completely secondary spell that you "charge" past the cast time by continuing to hold down the mouse button. For example the fire skill "Flame Thrower" allows you to throw out a line of fire to burn foes, the charged version of this skill is "Fire Wall" in which you use your Flame Thrower to burn a line of fire in front of yourself discouraging enemies from walking through that area.

As a bonus, here's an animation test for the first skill I'm working on called "Cross Cut"

So, ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

Also, if you'd like to help I'd gladly take what you can offer.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 03-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Da conq
Conqueror is a splendid one to beholdConqueror is a splendid one to beholdConqueror is a splendid one to beholdConqueror is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like a pretty tight project. Super old Maloria used to have the same idea in the sense of killing others to level up. The only problem with that was you'd get those kids who'd either A) Get on 2 acc's and level themselves up. or B) They'd pay noobs money in exchange for laming.

But, for the ones who did it legitly, it was a total blast! I'd recommend after each death, respawning at an "OSL" or i'd suggest that the more "frequent" a player dies, the longer it should take for them to respawn.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:40 PM
One More Time
MrOmega is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrOmega Send a message via MSN to MrOmega Send a message via Yahoo to MrOmega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
Sounds like a pretty tight project. Super old Maloria used to have the same idea in the sense of killing others to level up. The only problem with that was you'd get those kids who'd either A) Get on 2 acc's and level themselves up. or B) They'd pay noobs money in exchange for laming.

But, for the ones who did it legitly, it was a total blast! I'd recommend after each death, respawning at an "OSL" or i'd suggest that the more "frequent" a player dies, the longer it should take for them to respawn.
I agree, longer respawn time and lower exp points for that kill. Might as well throw in that it takes longer for the account to get exp too.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:33 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Also, I'll be updating this thread with developments, animations, etc.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 03-10-2011, 02:30 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Wasn't Arca already used as a server name?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:26 AM
Banned
Vinka has a spectacular aura aboutVinka has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
Yes, by Tom...
I'm guessing Smirt took it over?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 AM
Zxion is on a distinguished road
But what if the person is just being hunted and killed over and over while trying to go somewhere? Why should they have to wait longer and longer to respawn? Just something to think about. Also, I really like the concept that you have going. Especially the class and skill system! Can't wait to see more!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Tee Hee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
That was both of our servers. In fact I paid for it, so I figured I could use it again

Don Hertzfeldt <3

Last edited by smirt362; 03-10-2011 at 05:17 PM..
Old 03-10-2011, 06:34 AM
Da conq
Conqueror is a splendid one to beholdConqueror is a splendid one to beholdConqueror is a splendid one to beholdConqueror is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxion View Post
But what if the person is just being hunted and killed over and over while trying to go somewhere? Why should they have to wait longer and longer to respawn? Just something to think about. Also, I really like the concept that you have going. Especially the class and skill system! Can't wait to see more!
Valid point! I definitely know some people who would abuse that as well. Maybe an OSL warp with 2 separate exits to prevent door laming.

But on second thought. It's sort of the whole "survival" tactic. I've played a couple of FPS's that had the same in-game mechanics that I was talking about. (The more you get killed, the longer you take to respawn) The incentive to "not dying" is not having to wait so long to play again! And if you ARE one of people abusing the leveling methods, then it's far too much of a pain to wait.

Last edited by Conqueror; 03-10-2011 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: Second thought.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Tee Hee
Haven't made anything in the past week because I've been out of town. I'm sick at the moment, so hopefully I'll get better soon and make some more stuff.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Tee Hee

Actually working, imagine that. Start of the wall around the main town. I'm sleepy now, so I'll work a bit more tomorrow. I'd really like to hear opinions on the color, specifically if I should saturate it more and/or change the hue.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
I like it, but I think the left side is a bit too bright.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Tee Hee

Chugging right along...Was thinking of making a blue or red roof and also adding wooden columns. Along with windows and doors and floor tiles of course

Also, I know the part hanging below the railing is a little off where it meets up with the 45 degree angle, I'll fix it.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 04-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
im leaning towards a blue roof to match the bluish/purplish corners you have