Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
GC isn't initially screwed over. In fact, GC could be saved if just a few measurements were taken that should of been a while ago.

People still play events. Not a lot, but they still do. Could of it been because of how GC's spoiled players with the severe influxes of CTF? Probably. Is the server really dry on playercount that it can't get players? That too.

There's like 6 GP's so I don't see why they would need more. But then again, half of them play other servers.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 03-09-2009, 03:37 PM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniOne View Post
Agreed, hiring more dev may be the solution though hiring and firing managers over and over again can be confusing for many players since different managers have different views upon what should occur in the game.
This is for all the people preaching that a management change would cost more than its worth.

Withouth the management, you're putting full faith and basically all control with your dev team. For the people that play this server, storm represents the lack of management and the reason the dev team has been so stangnant up until now.

Is it all his fault? No.
Could he have done a better job then, and be doing a better job now? Absolutely 100%, while he isn't the sole cause of classic's current epidemic, he is certainly a large factor.

So over the years, he has built a nasty reputation of being the cause of classic's failure. He simply made a lot of mistakes by not acting in alot of key situations that may have turned the tide for classic early on. Thus, he has become the image of the servers stagnant status, which bring down overall morale for everyone, staff and all, by a lot. To the point where players dont want to play, and staff certainly don't want to work, even the admins. The bare minumum job he is doing right now is not enough to redeem himself of his past reputation, and it shouldn't be coming down to that anyway. When you expect the players to hate you and the job you are doing, for such an extended period of time, I really don't think you should be in that position any longer.

I fully understand that management changes are chaotic by nature, and should be avoided when possible. However, I think this change is inevitable. Storm's repuation is so far under right now with the vast majority of his population and staff, and I honestly don't see it improving much with him doing the bare minimum(read: the job he is doing RIGHT now) to keep Bell off his back. With a management change with the state classic is in now with its manager, you revitalize the hope within the community. A new manager would bring a feeling of change of direction in where classic is going for both the players and staff members, and would give the vast majority of players and staff something they have been asking for, for a long time.

Even past the image factor storm has, which plays a major role in being a figurehead on a server, I still think someone could be doing a lot better and more hands on job with the manager position, all with the players' and staff supporting them more than they would storm. Thus, making the end result all this worth more good than the chaos it would cause by tenfold.

Give the people what they've been asking for for over 3 years.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 03-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeway View Post
Announce that classic is in need of dev we might get some pretty good people a and set up a fourm or whatever listing exactly what needs to be done and made and have a section open to suggestions to what players think should be made :O
Jan 29 Classic News announced hirings

http://classicgraal.net/applications/development/

There already are Classic forums which you currently happen to be posting on which often people do post their ideas on.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
DC is correct.

Mystic is not completely correct. Yes, GCs overhosted ctf. Yes, it is partially their fault. But like I said before, a declining playercount in 08 created bigger gaps in between events. Since there was no content, people were having less fun than they had previously. GCs decided to try and fill the 'fun void' by hosting the "funnest" event we had, CTF. Did it work? For a while, yes. But we can see where that got us. CTF is now the only widely requested event, and by far the one event the majority will join. Many events are now simply unhostable because not enough people join them. GCs have tried to correct the event imbalance but to no avail. Until other events are as fun and competitive as CTF (or at least how CTF used to be,) we will still have an event imbalance.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Bowie's Deciple
Kristi has a spectacular aura aboutKristi has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Kristi Send a message via MSN to Kristi
You all speak like it is super easy to be a manager or admin and push other people to work without compensation. The difference between years ago and now is that people expect a much higher quality of content, and the pool of people willing to work for free has decreased. You think you can push someone to work? They will quit. Scripting used to be easy because no one expected quality content. Carrying a pizza around was awesome. Snakes made of cross explosions were awesome. Now this stuff is lame in people's eyes. They expect more.

You want content? Push cyberjoueur to pay developers.

People currently develop because they enjoy it. Forcing rules and projects they don't agree with makes it not fun. Therefore, they won't do it.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Gladius
Maybe if the servers had some sort of payment for the devs, such as rare items, tickets (if they were valuable), it would motivate them to work on stuff.

But yeah, working for free on something you don't have any heart for...can't imagine having any incentive to do it at all, much less with any quality.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Prince
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSolider View Post
DC is correct.

Mystic is not completely correct. Yes, GCs overhosted ctf. Yes, it is partially their fault. But like I said before, a declining playercount in 08 created bigger gaps in between events. Since there was no content, people were having less fun than they had previously. GCs decided to try and fill the 'fun void' by hosting the "funnest" event we had, CTF. Did it work? For a while, yes. But we can see where that got us. CTF is now the only widely requested event, and by far the one event the majority will join. Many events are now simply unhostable because not enough people join them. GCs have tried to correct the event imbalance but to no avail. Until other events are as fun and competitive as CTF (or at least how CTF used to be,) we will still have an event imbalance.
How so? CTF has spoiled this server big time. There are several other fun events that I could think of, and creativity is one essence to a GC. It is the fault of the GC team for overkilling CTF where it can be the only hostable event right now. In fact, I take that back. There are events in which some people still will enjoy.

I can agree that with tickets being completely useless, that creates no incentive for events. Right now with this GC items rule of "cant damage", you honestly won't see a drive for tickets. I gave my suggestions to Night about making tickets useful again, but that would have to warrant a ticket reset.

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 03-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Chang
DesolateRestriction will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
You all speak like it is super easy to be a manager or admin and push other people to work without compensation. The difference between years ago and now is that people expect a much higher quality of content, and the pool of people willing to work for free has decreased. You think you can push someone to work? They will quit. Scripting used to be easy because no one expected quality content. Carrying a pizza around was awesome. Snakes made of cross explosions were awesome. Now this stuff is lame in people's eyes. They expect more.

You want content? Push cyberjoueur to pay developers.

People currently develop because they enjoy it. Forcing rules and projects they don't agree with makes it not fun. Therefore, they won't do it.
Exactly. I Couldn't agree with you more.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Gladius
Ticket reset wouldn't be a horrible thing. It'd be a "fresh start" of sorts. Laura currently has 666 tickets. Seriously...thats just...wrong.

Yes, other events can be "fun". But, arguably, no event is as "fun" as a competitive 6-5 game of ctf. Yes, some people enjoy other events. Ryu likes pot race (b/c hes good at it). A few others like sumo. Some people like pictionary. But the single event that most people love the most (or at least top 3) would be CTF.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Retired Oldbie
grim_squeaker_x is on a distinguished road
What if the Classic people want Classic be as it was and the content quality wouldn't be a problem? Atleast it wouldn't be for me. You can always have some cheapass scripting as fill-ins until you have time to make something better.

But that's just my opinion. I like classic for what it was! That probably has something to do with how players there used to be. But I really miss a lot of how the playerworld used to look and what was were. I miss that old place where you could get a trident and then go further and end up in "gerudo valley". I vote for a change of manager because the current manager doesn't do a good job. I hope this will either push storm to be much better or make a new manager feel pressured to do a better job not to let down everyone that wanted a change.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSolider View Post
Ticket reset wouldn't be a horrible thing. It'd be a "fresh start" of sorts. Laura currently has 666 tickets. Seriously...thats just...wrong.

Yes, other events can be "fun". But, arguably, no event is as "fun" as a competitive 6-5 game of ctf. Yes, some people enjoy other events. Ryu likes pot race (b/c hes good at it). A few others like sumo. Some people like pictionary. But the single event that most people love the most (or at least top 3) would be CTF.
are you jealous i have 666 tickets? its not my fault if you always lose the events ok? i won them fair and square. if they could release npc maybe id have less.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
As of this morning, I have asked both TSAdmin and Tigairius to do a formal management review. Please try to not bombard them all at once and understand that it may take them some time to speak to everyone they feel the need to speak to. If you have input on the subject though, don't hesitate to discuss it with them. Both can also be reached via forum pm for those who aren't in their timezone. As I said before, this decision will not be mine alone and I feel its time to bring in the rest of the team.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Classic FAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
As of this morning, I have asked both TSAdmin and Tigairius to do a formal management review. Please try to not bombard them all at once and understand that it may take them some time to speak to everyone they feel the need to speak to. If you have input on the subject though, don't hesitate to discuss it with them. Both can also be reached via forum pm for those who aren't in their timezone. As I said before, this decision will not be mine alone and I feel its time to bring in the rest of the team.

nice bell , about time someone made a move.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Prince
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnervNATx View Post
are you jealous i have 666 tickets? its not my fault if you always lose the events ok? i won them fair and square. if they could release npc maybe id have less.
Many people have tons of tickets ranging from 200-400 and currently no use. There is no way possible to introduce a new ticket economy with tickets this inflated. They should of been capped ago when their was the rumor of tickets being capped to 50 or 100 and gralats being capped to 10k. Now it will be hard without an influx of complaints from the people with the high ticket counts.

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 03-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Classic FAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
Many people have tons of tickets ranging from 200-400 and currently no use. There is no way possible to introduce a new ticket economy with tickets this inflated. They should of been capped ago when their was the rumor of tickets being capped to 50 or 100 and gralats being capped to 10k. Now it will be hard without an influx of complaints from the people with the high ticket counts.
i heard many time from players in events "i dont play for the tickets but for the fun" . WHAT economy we need is GRALAT economy , from my opinion i am NOT saying yes to the tickets reset