Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Feature request
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
discard #varname#;

A minor item for further cranking up the efficiency of complex NPCs. Limits the scope of a variable by declaring it will no longer be used. For instance:

for(this.i=0;this.i<playerscount;this.i++){
}
discard this.i; //implicit

because you're unlikely to care that this.i still =playerscount an hour later. Would avoid the usual scripting mess of having one NPC with 70 variables, all of which were intended to be temporary but are still holding floating-point data; granted, that's only 70bytes, but it adds up.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Or you can use temp. variables that clear themselves after the current function scope.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Oops, well said, nm...how did I miss those?...

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
You could also declare

PHP Code:
this.null
and the variable is then forgotten.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:15 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
You could also declare

PHP Code:
this.null
and the variable is then forgotten.
Wouldn't bet on that one. Vars you have set to nil or null in the past still appear in database npcs, too. When you set them to an empty string, they dont.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:47 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
Chompy is just really niceChompy is just really niceChompy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Chompy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Wouldn't bet on that one. Vars you have set to nil or null in the past still appear in database npcs, too. When you set them to an empty string, they dont.
clearEmptyVars();
Old 01-06-2009, 05:26 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy View Post
clearEmptyVars();
I still remember Stefan's answer when I tried this and it didn't work. His "hm" had like 7 Ms.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
You can also use rungarbagecollector() to clear any links to non-existent variables or objects, although the engine should normally do this eventually.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:33 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
That's weird. Probably would be removed when the garbage collector runs, as Skyld said.

In Java you can destroy an object by destroying all links to that object; I assumed the same would work in GS2, but I guess not, or not reliably.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Wrong. Variables/arrays disappear when set to NULL, strings disappear when set to "" (empty string), and TStaticVar's when clearVars()'ed. At least if my memory serves me right.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 01-07-2009, 06:59 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
Chompy is just really niceChompy is just really niceChompy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Chompy
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
Wrong. Variables/arrays disappear when set to NULL, strings disappear when set to "" (empty string), and TStaticVar's when clearVars()'ed. At least if my memory serves me right.
This doesn't always apply to variables when working with database npcs.
This is what clearEmptyVars(); is good for, clearing all empty vars (0 as value for example) in the current object scope.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:59 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
If you are refering to database npcs as well, you are still somewhat wrong. I thought it would make sense that variables disappear when setting them to nil, so I did exactly that. Before I did it, the variable was holding an integer number. And if I recall correctly, it's the same problem with arrays. But it works for me all the time using an empty string. Don't ask me why, I don't even bother anymore, I already accepted all the weird stuff Graal has to offer a long time ago.