Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Graalian since 1998
osrs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to osrs Send a message via AIM to osrs Send a message via MSN to osrs Send a message via Yahoo to osrs
Riot recently made a site (look at my sig):
www.gscript.us

Its under construction now..but it will be done soon.
I will be helping him with some tutorials for beginners.
Check the site,it will help people a lot as soon as Riot finish the site.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:05 AM
Telmont Bandit
draygin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Soul-Blade
Hmm would that really teach people to script? Dunno, personally I learned by studying other scripts when I was really new, and when Shadow Dragons was around. From there I started my own stuff (Started Murasamune a little before) and slowly I got to be a very good scripter...

Experience and time are the greatest teachers, and there is not a single way to replace them. Personally I think if someone has a will to learn to script, then they will script. That is how it worked for me, and I am certain for many others.

Perhaps I am just jealous I had to learn myself, perhaps not. I think all managers without knowledge of script should be forced to learn script, anywho, because how can you review scripting applicants if you cannot go through and debug the script, view the script, see how well it functions? Some people have impressive looking script, but inefficient, and long.

Soul Blade has spoken
One option would be to trust your NAT Admin. (assuming you have one)

Me I can understand and read scripting enough to see what it is supposed to do when functioning properly. But for the quality of the script I always ask my best friend Giltwist.

I stole Spanky's gold!
Old 07-03-2003, 12:19 AM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Good idea
I can only do very basic scripting and thats because I have seen it so many times, and I copy and paste alot, lol
I cant make heads or tails out of some of the language in the txt file either, so I think classes is a good idea
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 07-03-2003, 12:32 AM
bobp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bobp
Yes even IF I had a tutorial/book right in front of me I would still have trouble understanding since I like to ask alot of questions.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:33 AM
US Marine
Soul-Blade is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Soul-Blade
Quote:
Originally posted by draygin

One option would be to trust your NAT Admin. (assuming you have one)

Me I can understand and read scripting enough to see what it is supposed to do when functioning properly. But for the quality of the script I always ask my best friend Giltwist.
Ah, in your case that is ok, considering you have a brilliant, and extremely trust worthy, scripter on your side
Old 07-03-2003, 01:30 AM
Angel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Angel
Quote:
Hmm would that really teach people to script? Dunno, personally I learned by studying other scripts when I was really new, and when Shadow Dragons was around. From there I started my own stuff (Started Murasamune a little before) and slowly I got to be a very good scripter...

Experience and time are the greatest teachers, and there is not a single way to replace them. Personally I think if someone has a will to learn to script, then they will script. That is how it worked for me, and I am certain for many others.

Perhaps I am just jealous I had to learn myself, perhaps not. I think all managers without knowledge of script should be forced to learn script, anywho, because how can you review scripting applicants if you cannot go through and debug the script, view the script, see how well it functions? Some people have impressive looking script, but inefficient, and long.

Soul Blade has spoken

How is this not teaching by example? Apart from we're breaking down examples and teaching it bit by bit. And they can ask my bot questions that at the end of the session we will answer in turn they were asked. (Pending ok from unix and stefan) Open Up a Server for 2 hours after class for people to come on and test out what they learned and we will be there to answer questions and help out. To Me I think it will be a good place to learn in a good manner. And learn how to script the correct way.

Angel has spoken.

Old 07-03-2003, 01:34 AM
US Marine
Soul-Blade is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Soul-Blade
Quote:
Originally posted by Angel

How is this not teaching by example? Apart from we're breaking down examples and teaching it bit by bit. And they can ask my bot questions that at the end of the session we will answer in turn they were asked. (Pending ok from unix and stefan) Open Up a Server for 2 hours after class for people to come on and test out what they learned and we will be there to answer questions and help out. To Me I think it will be a good place to learn in a good manner. And learn how to script the correct way.

Angel has spoken.

People learn at different speeds, I just don't think it is as good a teach as time =/

Soul Blade has spoken. :o
Old 07-03-2003, 01:39 AM
I am the trap
Shiftk03- will become famous soon enough
Good idea but the only people I'd take lessons from would probably be:
1. Kaimetsu
2. Angel
Other than that, I probably wouldn't learn much.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:42 AM
where da wmdz at
Neonight is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Neonight
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiftk03-
Good idea but the only people I'd take lessons from would probably be:
1. Kaimetsu
2. Angel
Other than that, I probably wouldn't learn much.
Kaimetsu, Kyle, or Jeff. ;o That's who I'd take lessons from. (Just because I don't know Angel very well. )
Old 07-03-2003, 01:49 AM
I am the trap
Shiftk03- will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Neonight

Kaimetsu, Kyle, or Jeff. ;o That's who I'd take lessons from. (Just because I don't know Angel very well. )
I'm just stating that Kaimetsu and Angel are probably the only ones who could teach me anything new. I'm a hard person to teach because I have many questions, Kaimetsu is good at answering my questions.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:15 AM
Banned
protagonist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to protagonist Send a message via MSN to protagonist
Kaimetsu is a very good teacher, he doesn't give you the answer but helps you find it.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:48 AM
Proxy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Proxy
*poke* I'll be there. o.o
Old 07-03-2003, 05:40 AM
prozac424242 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to prozac424242 Send a message via AIM to prozac424242
Sounds like a good idea, I'm a bit rusty at gscript in particular,
but i find that once you know that basics of computer programming and how algorithms work, you just need to know how to say it in a differnt language (javascript, perl, mysql, gscript, can do the same thing but just say it in the language that the program you are working with understands).

(looks around for anyone else on these forums who has graduated college with a minor or better in computer science, runs a website with four million hits per week, and has been programming for twenty one years ... anyone else? There are still things about gscript id like to learn, and understand better, and the point to me sayign this is: the more you learn, the more you realise how much there is to learn and how little you actually know, so you know less than when you started...)

Might I suggest preparing to teach people by having a web form that you can check off on an outline what you want to learn about, then have that save to a database with the persons email, and the teachers who know the most about what is disired to know, can email the students and arrange a time for the session.

of course that means outlining all the levels of gscript, that npcprogramming.doc has an outline on the first few pages (that comes with graal, thats the one i mean), making that a web form where people can enter their email address/graal name and click what they want to learn and send that in. ya.
sorry to repeat my self but i am tired...

good idea, hope it pans out to happening

Useful links:
Graal Stats
Client Script Functions-GS1 to GS2
Serverside Script Functions-Gscript page
Particle Engine-Player Attributes
Server Options-Admin rights-Gmaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admins
Thanks for developing and improving playerworlds and such
Old 07-03-2003, 06:24 AM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Hmm would that really teach people to script? Dunno, personally I learned by studying other scripts
The approach may have worked for you, but it's not usually the best. If you go to a real school and ask them to teach you to program, do they give you lots of code and tell you to figure it out? Simply reading somebody else's code leads to nagging ambiguities and bad habits that only a human teacher can resolve.

Quote:
Experience and time are the greatest teachers, and there is not a single way to replace them.
Absolutely, but we are not trying to replace those factors. We're giving people a platform on which to start their own experimentation.

Quote:
I think all managers without knowledge of script should be forced to learn script, anywho, because how can you review scripting applicants if you cannot go through and debug the script, view the script, see how well it functions? Some people have impressive looking script, but inefficient, and long.
Well, that's what the certification idea is for.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:46 AM
Playerworld Administrator
HoudiniMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Angel
Open Up a Server for 2 hours after class for people to come on and test out what they learned and we will be there to answer questions and help out.
Free NC for your NPCs if you take the class eh? That'll take some serious management on your guys' part... Heck, i'll learn/help teach if i get to use NC ^_^

PWA suffer from NC withdrawl