Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Pelikano has a little shameless behaviour in the past
guys im back dont worry
Old 01-19-2012, 12:38 AM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by natchez416 View Post
I'm not sure how you got "work on nothing but the gang system" out of my post.

To clarify: I believe the most important job of a manager is delegation and focusing assets on priorities. In my opinion, quests involving NPC's should not be anywhere close to a priority at this point in time, for the reasons I stated. Thus, I believe Tim should instead focus his assets on projects which emphasize and promote player player interaction, instead of NPC player interaction (This is not limited to PVP projects). Businesses and gangs were just 2 examples I gave of many possibilities.

In short, I agree with you, the dev team should be focusing on many projects at once, PK and non PK related. I just don't believe quests involving NPC's deserves to be one of these projects.

Back in the day we had 3 main quests. Police quest (Top left of gmap), mine quest and sewer quest. These quests were fairly hard to accomplish alone and most people needed help with them. People with make partys of 3-4 people and try and do them.
Imo, quests are also player interaction but still not the biggest.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:23 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
What is this UN?

Want a Quest? Go get level 40 hp or level 100 mining.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaman771 View Post
What is this UN?

Want a Quest? Go get level 40 hp or level 100 mining.
Then go buy some blow and hookers.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:40 AM
natchez416 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMelon View Post
Back in the day we had 3 main quests. Police quest (Top left of gmap), mine quest and sewer quest. These quests were fairly hard to accomplish alone and most people needed help with them. People with make partys of 3-4 people and try and do them.
Imo, quests are also player interaction but still not the biggest.
I spent about a week or two completing these quests when they were released years ago. Since this time I have almost forgotten that they existed.
Zero replay value.

Were these quests really worth the time it took to develop them?
Are NPC quests what era is really about, and should they be focused on now?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Absolutely, one thing many people don't consider is that something like a quest is there to be played by every player that ever logs onto the server in future, whom it will always be new to.
Hell those actually got myself and about 10 other players from Classic (Party Spetznaz etc) playing Era for a couple of days.

Quote:
Zero replay value.
I believe it's something of a misconception that quests should be replayable. Ofcourse not everyone agrees that the fundamental purpose of questing is to hook new players, but even if you do develop them to be replayable, and try to offer some incentive for it there can still be the problem of it becoming tedious and chore-like.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I spent about a week or two completing these quests when they were released years ago. Since this time I have almost forgotten that they existed.
Zero replay value.

Are NPC quests what era is really about, and should they be focused on now?
Players want things to do. When I first started playing, doing quests was actually challenging and fun to do.
Also that +1 hit point it gave meant you could take 1 more bullet before dying, which meant alot to have.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
I've always said that quests, on a server like Era, are great for allowing new players to "get a foot in the door" before they've had a chance to get involved in other activities. Quests can be done alone and will keep players entertained before they've started to mingle with the rest of the community.

If you insist on having quests on Era, I'd suggest using them in place of a tutorial to teach new players how to play the game in a "fun" way. The quests could award players with a few essential items (their first gun, a melee weapon, some starting cash, etc). Otherwise, quests are pretty useless because they have no replay value.

It might be cool to create replayable "quests" as an alternative for earning money or consumable items. For example, a quest to rob a bank that earns players a little bit of cash. The amount of cash would have to be similar to what someone would earn mining or digging shells, so the quest would just be a more exciting alternative to mundane tasks (with a bit of risk involved if you fail). I could still see this getting tiresome, though, because most of today's players would rather sit at unstick me and merchant items.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
I've always said that quests, on a server like Era, are great for allowing new players to "get a foot in the door" before they've had a chance to get involved in other activities. Quests can be done alone and will keep players entertained before they've started to mingle with the rest of the community.

If you insist on having quests on Era, I'd suggest using them in place of a tutorial to teach new players how to play the game in a "fun" way. The quests could award players with a few essential items (their first gun, a melee weapon, some starting cash, etc). Otherwise, quests are pretty useless because they have no replay value.

It might be cool to create replayable "quests" as an alternative for earning money or consumable items. For example, a quest to rob a bank that earns players a little bit of cash. The amount of cash would have to be similar to what someone would earn mining or digging shells, so the quest would just be a more exciting alternative to mundane tasks (with a bit of risk involved if you fail). I could still see this getting tiresome, though, because most of today's players would rather sit at unstick me and merchant items.
he thinks he knows it all but didnt even finish the eventbot in months of work lolol
Old 01-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodykiller View Post
he thinks he knows it all but didnt even finish the eventbot in months of work lolol
The EventBot is finished. Converting all of the events over to the new system is what I gave up on.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Implying that you could?
You probably can't even code in gscript, let alone get hired as staff.

Wheres your diss at now?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
did i ever say i would be a good staff member? it's just that sales thinks he's like the best staff member in history whilst he's clearly not
go code kid
Old 01-20-2012, 07:24 PM
asdfg
Quote:
did i ever say i would be a good staff member? it's just that sales thinks he's like the best staff member in history whilst he's clearly not
go code kid
Sales made some of the best systems era has O-o
Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Finger lickin' good.
Quote:
go code kid
When did I ever say anything like that? I was just sharing my opinion on quests...did my butt raider joke hurt your feelings?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Fiberwyre_P2P will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That's just a tutorial then, and wouldn't mean anything to the people who already play this game and know everything about it, i.e. the people who are bored, and not preoccupied with learning how the game works.

Quote:
At that point, why not just give more money for kills in PvP? it would save time and promote "player-player interaction".

quests should give special items, whether they're health potions, guns, etc.
repeatable quests could give tokens that you save up and buy something awesome with after a few weeks.