Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-21-2012, 02:27 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Why use mng files over gifs?

I remember being told repeatedly in the past that we should be using mng files on Graal instead of gifs. Classic's uploading system at the moment seems to only cater for png and mng files for example. I still don't understand the advantages of using mng files however. It actually seems to carry more disadvantages, such as mng files holding more than double the filesize of gifs.

Anyone know the advantages?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:44 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Can you use transparent colors on NPC images with a gif? If so, how fast does the gif animate? Are there any differences between color depths between the two formats?

By the way, all stuff you can test just by posing questions like these to yourself. :3
Old 01-21-2012, 02:55 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
By the way, all stuff you can test just by posing questions like these to yourself. :3
Obviously I don't understand the advantages if I've made a thread asking if anyone knows what they are, they appear to work the same in-game for me. I don't understand your questions regarding animations in ganis though; I haven't had any issues with using gif files in them.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:58 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
I'm saying you should explore that stuff yourself and provide us with some answers instead.

LET THE REVELATIONS COME.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:03 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
I was wondering this, myself.

Whenever I have graphics uploaded, they're always .gif and other people I work with always do the same.
On the other hand, free-to-play games, if unbalanced, could result in some consumers paying extremely large amounts of money, and we can certainly not expect to build a good relationship with our consumers in this fashion. In order to have a favorable long-term relationship, we would like to offer free-to-play games that are balanced and reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unximad
Eurocenter Games remains attached to the values of indies game developer and to the service our playerbase community.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:13 AM
Empress Door the Unhinged
Door is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to behold
The only advantage to mng files that I know of is that they are 100% lossless. Their colors don't bleed! But really, the lossiness of a gif is generally barely noticeable and mostly avoidable.

As for why people don't use gif files on Graal more and why gif2mng exists? A little birdy told me once that it had to do with the CompuServe copyright on the GIF filetype. Cyberjoueurs as a company was trying to avoid litigation by allowing only mng files to be uploaded. I can't argue with that. However, that copyright expired in 2003/2004.

The biggest problems with using mng files are that:
- they aren't just "more than double," they are "about SIX TIMES" the filesize of gif files.
- they are nearly obsolete. How many programs can even VIEW them anymore, nevermind edit them? This alone makes them a huge inconvenience to players.

So in conclusion, the mng filetype should be reserved for people who know what they want and know that gif cannot offer it to them.

PEACE OUT, UPLOAD 5EVA
Old 01-21-2012, 03:28 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Color preservation? Soooo worth it.

Gifs are kind of ugly when they mess up the colors and make artifacts. But maybe if you reduced the color depth of each frame to 16-bit before you bother to animate, it might come out nicer? There's something to try.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 AM
zenkou
haro41 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to haro41
mng's are animated 32 bit images with the possibility of alpha transparency (aka. animated png's). So as Door mentioned, large in size and mostly abandoned.

Zenkou for life
Old 01-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Don't don't don't don't. If by for some reason color count is an issue use frames and ganis instead. The only reason MNG became as popular as it did on Graal was because at one point the right to use GIF was up in the air legally and Unix got worried about it and started forcing all servers to convert GIF to MNG. Eventually the GIF thing was settled and I can't see much reason to work with such an unsupported format. If only APNG gained more support...

MNG's have the potential to be useful, but their support is little as far as editing goes. Hell I can't even really open any up on my PC without going out and hunting for something that can. APNG is growing much more in support than MNG ever did, and even browsers are starting to support it... but editors are still reluctant it seems.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
ill stick to .gifs for everything thx
Old 01-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Door View Post
As for why people don't use gif files on Graal more and why gif2mng exists? A little birdy told me once that it had to do with the CompuServe copyright on the GIF filetype. Cyberjoueurs as a company was trying to avoid litigation by allowing only mng files to be uploaded. I can't argue with that. However, that copyright expired in 2003/2004.
That's a good post and all but it's patents, not copyrights. Otherwise, what Dusty said.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:36 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Door View Post
The only advantage to mng files that I know of is that they are 100% lossless. Their colors don't bleed! But really, the lossiness of a gif is generally barely noticeable and mostly avoidable.
GIF files are lossless, they just only support 256 colors. If you try to save an image with more than 256 colors as a GIF, you'll obviously lose some colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
ill stick to .gifs for everything thx
PNGs for static images, please. Far superior format sans animation for most Graal graphics.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:48 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
PNGs for static images, please. Far superior format sans animation for most Graal graphics.
word, but much easier to just save as .gif and load images into editor.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
I want 24 bit PNGs that support animations.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:05 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I want 24 bit PNGs that support animations.
APNG is really nice. I just wish it was better supported.