Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 10:59 PM
stuck in the enemy zone
-HateD- will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
I feel like raiding is forced onto people because it's been such a staple part of game play forever. the fact is that it sucks. if we have to stop ETs from hosting events during raids because it will take away from raid activity, that raises a red flag and tells me there's a bigger problem to resolve. if there are raids going on but people would rather play events, are the events really the problem here?
I agree with you completely Frankie. I can't really speak for anyone but myself, but why I don't raid is because every time, like stated before, it devolves into healing/running/elixers/laming/etc. And it's never fun to raid when one person in your gang stops and now you're at a numbers disadvantage. I think EP was an attempt to fix this with allowing new players to basically be experienced player fodder for free points but even they understand how much it sucks to raid with a shitty gun vs a wall of aa12s.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Eclipse is a jewel in the roughEclipse is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Eclipse
3 pages of paragraphs of people fantasys --- none of this will happen noobs
Old 12-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Venom_Fish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Venom_Fish
Nail on the head Frankie. The heart of era's problems is its lack of emphasis on competition. I don't mean developmentally, but in terms of player mentality. Back in the good ol' days, activity was driven but the desire to be good and best your competition. This started to wane away when certain administrations started introducing too many things outside of PK: i.e. instruments and other collectables. The next generation grew up on idling, mining, and collecting items, occasionally raiding and pking as though it was not the main point of era.

Today, the issue still remains. Players simply do not care when they get murdered as we would have back then. They simply runoff to go betflip for 3 hours or mine for a new gun to place in their house storage.

New players are being brought up in this and are taking to it. For brief stints, pk takes center stage and raiding is active, spar complex is packed, and so on. However, these stints are no longer ignited by the desire to own people, but by some new perk. Therefore, these stints are only temporary because, as we all know, it only takes awhile for something "new" to no longer be so.

Another variable is the frequency of events, holy crap. Players today spend a large portion of their time in events. Events were supposed to be supplementary to the entertainment era brings, but they have taken center stage as much as collectables have. These do indeed need to be heavily checked. I was able to win 136 event coins in two days... we have a problem. Events like BH PK and ULMS have also taken away from gang raiding. Why bother raiding for 2 hours to gain 30 gang points and gorgeous gang k/d ratio when you can do that in 10 minutes of massive PK? These events should not give any gang points at all. Or, if they are, then rid us of traditional raiding and make all raids carried out in BH-PK like form so that we can initiate such raids whenever.

Overall, the emphasis on collecting items and idling, events, and, most importantly, the loss of that competitive zeal characterizes the bulk of era's problems. If competitive pk can somehow be reignited, the remainder of era's problems will solve themselves. New players will be cultivated in an era in which how good you are once again matters. Once that is your aim, you will spar, raid, event, search for new items, and everything else to achieve it. So honestly, instead of us attempting to cure symptoms such as more perks, different gun stats, and etc., let's address the disease. We all, as a community, need to begin reemphasizing pk skill and competitiveness.

That brings back some memories of the days when I was obsessed with being the best at everything related to winning on Era. I remember I practiced sparring, lasertag, and even went as far as develop my abilities in the racing events. <- If players can be given such zeal, obviously not specifically to that extent, the superfluous matters of era (gun stats - which I don't remember giving a damn about, or gang perks) will either fix themselves or fall to the periphery, never again to be of central focus.

*Forgive whatever grammatical and typographical errors you observe, I just typed this in one stretch and as it came to mind. Hopefully there's some coherency to the argument, lol.
"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." - Ecclesiastes 9:11
Old 12-21-2013, 11:38 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Since we're on the topic of back in the day, what I thought always made it so competative was the fact that it actually pissed me off when I died. Now I just hit the space bar, wait 10 seconds and I'm back to killing. Anyway, after a while of getting killed I'd actually go after that player and constantly kill them to enrage them. I miss those days.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Yeah. Maybe I never lost it, but I still don't like dying. Ask any player, even a newby that manages to kill me. I end up hawking them with great bullets of fury. I miss the days when everyone was like that, era was a blast. I remember entire gangs would chase me on the gmap haha. I remember when running was so shameful that no good player would want to get caught doing it.
"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." - Ecclesiastes 9:11
Old 12-21-2013, 11:52 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
You were always the fastest runner.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:47 AM
stuck in the enemy zone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Rocks View Post
You were always the fastest runner.
Funny because he actually moves faster than everyone, at least in my client.

Anyways, I agree that people need to stop running and focus on skill and pk and all that, but it's way too easy to be lame with stats and guns the way they are. Why get good at dodging and shooting when you can spam AA12/Flak in raid when the latter usually gets better results?

Events do happen more than they should. The reason being that nobody wants to do anything else. Why raid for hours to get 30 points when that's like 1.5k? Kind of a waste of time in my opinion. If there were better incentives, while at the same time fixing all the bullshit that discourages people (AA12/flak/running/laming) then the game would be better. Probably not possible at this point though.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:49 AM
a true gentlemen
I'd like to see some sort of checks that the event system should look for when gangs are active or over hosted.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:48 PM
The problem is that you only raid for incentives, which are fleeting. The faster you get them, the even faster you want to get them and that easily gets out of hand.

You're also still whining about guns. They honestly are not the problem. I cannot pinpoint an item that seals the deal for any player, recall one that is even remotely difficult to attack and kill, and etc. The only distinction between you and I is that I don't suck. Take a hint, get good and see if stats really matter.

In the days where skill was emphasized, there were many extremely lame guns floating around. However, I don't recall there ever being an instance where someone wouldn't raid because of it or shied away from combat in any form. This generation is full of crybabies and wusses.

Something to go with: Ask not what your server can do for you, ask what you can do for your server. I mean, for Christ sake, it's not like these people are paid. Instead of whining about fixing things that are certainly not easily fixed, take matters in your own hands and get good.. stop sucking. If you do that, what they haven't done won't be such a problem.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_Fish View Post
This generation is full of crybabies and wusses.
Just logged on Era.

Spent about 5 minutes there, half the time I was reconnecting trying to hide the annoying ass flaming skull thing over my head.

Tag up, jolly jog over to BH base.
Clear the **** out myself, no one else on tag to fight with for the kills made it pretty stale. Only 4 kills out of the 6 people in there. Had to venture to f2 to heal the 45 health I lost.

On my way out, the last kid I killed goes "So ****ing lame, you suck, etc." Before I was healed, he had hopped onto his ET tag and hosted himself 10 minutes of ULMS since he can't earn an actual kill in combat.

I logged off.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:05 PM
stuck in the enemy zone
Godzilla already addressed everything Wil said in another thread.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:54 PM
ilovegirlzz can only hope to improve
nothing will ever change as long as the "elite" will think that their ideas will appeal to the newer generation of Era.

Knowing this, the "elite" will still implement their foolish ideas which will result in the same outcome as before.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:52 AM
a true gentlemen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegirlzz View Post
nothing will ever change as long as the "elite" will think that their ideas will appeal to the newer generation of Era.
sounds like something a non-elitist would say.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:40 AM
The_Federov's dad
Xloria is on a distinguished road
Guys, just make more guns! it's the answer to all of our problems!

Or-Or-Or you guys could make another food business WOAHHHH

The server isn't going anywhere fast, so I don't see why we argue over the forums. Those with the best ability to help others, chose to help themselves, and those who are chosen to help others, can't even help themselves. Our problem is beyond era and placed in humanity, so just tilt you cowboy hat back, click your boots, and open up a nice cold one for the ride because we're coming in hottttt.

"The Beauty isn't in climbing the mountain, it's about the view once you're at the top."