Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
100 IFP and runnin'
Nabru is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Nabru
If other virus scanners aren't picking it up and my loyal Spybot didn't catch it, it is likely a false detection then.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Coder
Programmer has a spectacular aura aboutProgrammer has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Programmer Send a message via MSN to Programmer Send a message via Yahoo to Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabru View Post
If other virus scanners aren't picking it up and my loyal Spybot didn't catch it, it is likely a false detection then.
To determine if your scanners are lying, try a small little batch file included in this post. Its risk-free because all it does is use windows-created programs to search for signatures of Win32.Hupigon.

Read the on-screen directions carefully or you won't know what to do.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Hupigon Checker.zip (905 Bytes, 128 views)
Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM
100 IFP and runnin'
According to your batch, It's definitely a false report from Avast, thanks Programmer.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Wondering if there is some way to report the false report to the Avast maker?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Wondering if there is some way to report the false report to the Avast maker?
Might want to try their website, I guess..
Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eranian View Post
I got this virus too and I formatted and downloaded Graal again and it was still there.
So I formatted again and now I'm too scared to download Graal.

Why did Graal put a virus in level editor??
Formatted?

You place far too much trust in your virus scanner.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:58 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I feel like posting a 42 pt. font that says "GET MAC LOL" but I know the repercussions. Y'all should congratulate me for resisting the urge.

Anyway, try some other virus scanners, maybe HouseCall from TrendMicro which you don't have to download.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Coder
Programmer has a spectacular aura aboutProgrammer has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Programmer Send a message via MSN to Programmer Send a message via Yahoo to Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkbud View Post
Anyway, try some other virus scanners, maybe HouseCall from TrendMicro which you don't have to download.
Personally, I use Clamwin and AdAware SE for my machine, and they both do a very good job. I cannot have a firewall on my machine due to its usage, so the more virus protection I can get, the better.

Clamwin is what I personally suggest to computer-savvy people, mainly because it requires you to remove it yourself (lol!), so thats why I don't suggest it for people who don't know squat about computers.

AdAware SE is very good for detecting adware and various types of trojans.

If I were to suggest a few good anti-virus programs for regular computer users, I would suggest the following:
  • Norton 2007/2008
  • Avast
  • NOD32
  • McAfee

All 4 of these are very good, but in specific, Norton and McAfee don't get much credit because they are *very* naggy about your computer's security.

All anti-virus software gives false reports every now and then, and thats just something you have to put up with. Just exclude your program from future scans and your anti-virus software won't nag as much.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:34 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer View Post
Personally, I use Clamwin and AdAware SE for my machine, and they both do a very good job. I cannot have a firewall on my machine due to its usage, so the more virus protection I can get, the better.

Clamwin is what I personally suggest to computer-savvy people, mainly because it requires you to remove it yourself (lol!), so thats why I don't suggest it for people who don't know squat about computers.

AdAware SE is very good for detecting adware and various types of trojans.

If I were to suggest a few good anti-virus programs for regular computer users, I would suggest the following:
  • Norton 2007/2008
  • Avast
  • NOD32
  • McAfee

All 4 of these are very good, but in specific, Norton and McAfee don't get much credit because they are *very* naggy about your computer's security.

All anti-virus software gives false reports every now and then, and thats just something you have to put up with. Just exclude your program from future scans and your anti-virus software won't nag as much.
The first version of the Microsoft Spyware Removal Tool or whatever it's called ... when I ran it for the first time, I went to get lunch and when I got back half of my programs were deleted. Apparently Firefox was a trojan back then. Ditto with iTunes.

Funny thing is, it never asked me to remove or whatever, but next time I tried it, it did. Strange ...

Anyway, I recommend Ad-Aware, Spybot: S & D, and AVG Free Anti-Virus.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:18 PM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer View Post
  • Norton 2007/2008
  • Avast
  • NOD32
  • McAfee
In my past experience, Norton and McAfee have not caught jack-crap in comparison to the viruses I've caught with Avast.

I tried both of those for many years (keep in mind this was many many years ago) but eventually found my computer to be much more sluggish, my bandwidth was being used a a really high rate when my computer was idle, etc. As soon as I was turned on to Avast an installed it, there were about 25 different viruses on my machine that neither Norton or McAfee could detect. The funny part was that some of them were worms that has infected 95% of the .exe files on my computer that had to all be deleted. Why couldn't they detect anything, ehh? (Granted Norton and McAfee found stuff on occasion but I find Avast to be much stronger)
Old 04-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Hmmmmmm I recommend getting Linux (or mac) I've not spent any time on anti-virus stuff in the last few years. For Graal.exe we have made it so that it's signed and can be easily verified, may be we can also update the other tools to be signed, and preventing such kind of false detections (you can right-click on the program to see if the signature is correct or broken).
Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
I use NOD32 and love it.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:51 PM
the fake one
Quote:
Hmmmmmm I recommend getting Linux (or mac)
Classic gold.

I don't mean to sound like a jackass, which I know I will, but I sometimes just can't believe people spending so much time and sometimes money dealing with viruses.

I'm not saying Mac is virus-free or invulnerable, there have been viruses (patched quickly though). Mac is generally more secure, however I do agree that once (or if) people start using Mac more, there will be more viruses.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:11 PM
100 IFP and runnin'
Quote:
may be we can also update the other tools to be signed.
While you're at it, make said tools support gs2 please?

I think this has been resolved, I'll look around Avast's site and see if I can find a place to report false reports.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Rediculously inactive
Horrified is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Horrified Send a message via AIM to Horrified Send a message via MSN to Horrified Send a message via Yahoo to Horrified
Seriously, not even to be mean.

Mac's users are the 99% of the people with the "iLife" style in which they have full respect for everything by Apple and feel too pampered to actually make viruses.

So I guess there is an upside to it...sort of.