Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Videos
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Question Video Capturing and Editing Software.

I'm a newbie when it comes to video capturing and editing; I've been using Windows Movie Maker and the Graal video capturing for a while now. Both of these have been useful for me in starting up, but the quality that WMM saves the video files in, and the aspect ratios have been pretty shoddy on the Graal videos. I was wondering what kind of software people use to capture and edit their Graal-related videos, as I've seen a few that have been really good quality and I'd like to achieve something like this. The features I'm talking about can be split across a few different programs, I don't mind, but please explain in simple, but in-depth terms for a lamer like me who isn't too familiar with the terminology or processes used.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
I use Camtasia Studio 4 for screen captures and Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 for video editing.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 05-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
------> Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 or 9.0 (Pro or Platinum)

Last edited by Soala; 05-19-2009 at 08:17 PM..
Old 05-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Hired/Fired
CharlieM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CharlieM Send a message via MSN to CharlieM
Hypercam 2 is good for free but there's better, and I use windows movie maker, graal recorder lagged my client, not my of though

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

Eric Hoffer

turned that one on you didn't I.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
I use Camtasia Studio 4 for screen captures and Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 for video editing.
This is a nice program; After Effects is good for effects as well.

Someone told me Pinnacle is okay as well.

I don't really have much to suggest since I do all of my editing exclusively on Mac using Final Cut Studio or iMovie.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I'm going to try Camtasia Studio tonight. Anyone know what an appropriate size would be for capturing in order for it to look pretty on YouTube's default player?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:34 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I'm going to try Camtasia Studio tonight. Anyone know what an appropriate size would be for capturing in order for it to look pretty on YouTube's default player?
HD size is 1280x720.

This might help a bit; it's for QuickTime, but you can copy the settings.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
HD size is 1280x720.
What is 'HQ' size? Does it even have one?
Old 05-20-2009, 02:46 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
What is 'HQ' size? Does it even have one?
Youtube's 'handbook' said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youtube
Best Formats for Uploading

YouTube can accept almost any video format for upload, but for most users we have found the following settings give the best results.

* Video Format: H.264, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 preferred
* Aspect Ratio: Native aspect ratio without letterboxing (examples: 4:3, 16:9)
* Resolution: 640x360 (16:9) or 480x360 (4:3) recommended
* Audio Format: MP3 or AAC preferred
* Frames per second: 30
* Maximum length: 10 minutes (we recommend 2-3 minutes)
* Maximum file size: 1 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
HD size is 1280x720.
Is Youtube's HD really 1280x720 or just 640x360? I doubt it's the former.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:56 AM
the fake one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Youtube's 'handbook' said...

Is Youtube's HD really 1280x720 or just 640x360? I doubt it's the former.
HD is 1280x720. It will not display at full quality, however, unless you watch it full screen. To get an HD upload, you need 1280x720.

Not exactly sure about the high-quality options, but it's best to go with HD if you can. You can just enlarge the image size so it fits, and use a letterbox if needed.