Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: What should the name of the testing server be?
Testbed Server 18 47.37%
The Lab 16 42.11%
Other (Please post below) 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Yeah lol
Old 01-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Ignorance has no future
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
Ganadagb./
Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Bump?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Playerworld Administrator
HoudiniMan is on a distinguished road
I think the ideal place to advertise the server is a sticky in the scripting forum.

For one simple reason: If you were an active member of the Graal community, you'd be on the forums at least as a reader. If you wanted to script at all, you would - at minimum - check out the scripting forum and the stickied threads that say "LEARN HERE:" etc.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:33 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
I don't understand why this haven't been stickied yet, and it really need to be better advertised to Graal as a whole. Would help if Tig were to actually be online on the server as well, I've heard he isn't very often other when people urgently need him there.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 07-02-2009, 12:07 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
Chompy is just really niceChompy is just really niceChompy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Chompy
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
I don't understand why this haven't been stickied yet, and it really need to be better advertised to Graal as a whole. Would help if Tig were to actually be online on the server as well, I've heard he isn't very often other when people urgently need him there.
If people need help on the Testbed Server, I'm also available. Unless I need PWA abilities to help.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Pelikano has a little shameless behaviour in the past
This **** should've been put into the News, it never happened.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I have forwarded a few people on to the Testbed server, but only when I really thought they'd make good use of it. Chompy and Aeko assisted them and they were pretty quick to get it set up (probably because I have them on MSN) but the people I referred were not aware of it until I brought it up. In that regard I agree with Ziro in that there should be a sticky (and possibly advertising somewhere?) but in the scripting forum rather than the Playerworlds forum. People might want to learn how to script, but not everyone wants to make their own server and I don't think that's allowed anyway on the Testbed Server
Old 07-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikano View Post
This **** should've been put into the News, it never happened.
I'm pretty sure that there was a news entry for Testbed Server by HoudiniMan when it first was released.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 07-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
I'm sure if Chompy or Tig asked Darlene to sticky this someplace they would do it. News announcements are fine but if you didn't happen to be log on during the current news item you're going to miss it anyway. What I think should be done is have Testbed on Hosted tab so its visible on the playerlist. At least then in its playerworld description it could say what its purpose is for. Maybe then new or aspiring developers might spot it easier and it wouldn't have to rely on word of mouth advertising alone.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Just make a sticky in caps called, ARE YOU INTERESTED IN LEARNING HOW TO SCRIPT? READ HERE. If that doesn't get their attention then ban them from the scripting section!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:06 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
I purposely don't advertise the testbed server because I already have a hard enough time managing to filter out the idiots who just want an RC so they can have staff boots and summon.

I also don't have the time to constantly be available on Testbed, I get PMed so often that I'm pretty sure just about everyone knows how to reach me if they need me anyways. I would never get any work done if I was constantly answering questions on Testbed.

I give you the access to the RC, I give you the necessary resources to learn how to script, and I give you a small community of developers to help you on Testbed, I can't commit the time to stay on there all the time though. I am sure that several Testbed regulars would attest for the fact that I'm there usually faster than any of them are able to even contact me in order to remove/ban someone whenever some emergency is going down though.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 08-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Master of Puppets
This is a late reply, but better late then never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
I purposely don't advertise the testbed server because I already have a hard enough time managing to filter out the idiots who just want an RC so they can have staff boots and summon.
I understand your point, I do, but by not advertising it you're losing a lot of people who would like learn how to develop and now never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
I also don't have the time to constantly be available on Testbed, I get PMed so often that I'm pretty sure just about everyone knows how to reach me if they need me anyways. I would never get any work done if I was constantly answering questions on Testbed.
I can assure you that a lot of players have no idea who you, me, or even Stefan is. They're probably even less aware of how to get an RC on Testbed.

We need to be more visible. We need to have more people who can help administrate the server. We have you who logon for 30 seconds once every other week to update something, Chompy who doesn't even have an active subscription and not planning on getting one for unknown amount of time, and according to the serveroptions we also have HoudiniMan and Skyld as "highstaff" yet no one has barely ever seen them.

I'm getting the feeling Testbed is majorly neglected, and it's a shame, it can be so much more helpful then it is at the moment.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:41 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I agree that more advertising needs to be done; I also don't think it would be hard to get a few otherhighstaff. There are probably plenty of people who hang out there regularly (though I'm not sure who as my IP has been incorrect for some time, and I haven't felt a need to get on).
Old 08-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Considering that this is the only way to learn GS2, as opposed to previously, when anyone who downloaded the game could learn via. the offline editor, it should absolutely be advertised.

Yes, there will be trouble of trying to filter out everyone who just wants power, however, that is a sacrifice to be made to ensure that the future of the scripting community will be bright.

If there is no one who is willing to make this sacrifice, then the model is wrong. If you want to make this a secondary means of learning GS for only the really interested people, then there has to be a primary means (as the offline editor served previously).

If you want the Testbed Server to be the primary means of learning GS, then someone who has time and skills must be appointed to manage it; plain and simple.

Tags
testbed server