Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Man of the King
super_matt89 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to super_matt89 Send a message via AIM to super_matt89 Send a message via Yahoo to super_matt89
Exclamation Important: Multiplayer Lag.

I was wondering if anyone could help me, here's my problem:

When ever 5+ players are in screen I lag, My computer is effecient and I've gone through all the procedures to make my computer faster. I have UDP checked because when it's unchecked it lags more. I have light effects disabled and all my Graal settings are at minimum, I've looked at various guides to reduce lag (relating to Graal itself and In general computer lag). When there's no one on screen I can run around fine fast as normal and smooth aswell, but it's just when other players come or there are a large amount of enemies (Zodiac).

Now I'm sure there's a solution to this because I see it as a problem with loading other players or something the like.. I know there is some sort of procedure for showing other player, I wasn't sure if Graal was OpenGL so I didn't research much on that but with online games in general I don't normally lag when there are many people on my screen it's only on Graal and I would assume it's 2D Graphic system would run better then a full 3D online game. For example Rakion and Pristontale do not have multiple player lag problems for me and Maple Story is a 2D Side Scroller and it also does not give me any lag problems at all when there are over 100+ players on screen.

I would really appreciate any help at all and even the suggestions of reducing graal lag I'd like to even know the right way to have my graal settings even though I'm pretty sure that it's set at minimal. Also any important settings for computer that could possibly help, even though I've tried most common things and researched up on it many times to try to fix, such as changing my desktop colour resolution to 16bit.. hehe;

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Core (Super_Matt89).

Old 06-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Man of the King
Send a message via ICQ to super_matt89 Send a message via AIM to super_matt89 Send a message via Yahoo to super_matt89
Post Also to help~

Also to help here are some specs of my computer and Internet Speed:

Edit: Link approved by CheeToS.

All my drivers are updated as of today and ask me anything that you think might be relivant, please.

EDIT: Just recently I was talking to a friend and he asked about my CPU Usage, and I looked over it and normally I end programs that are redundant as I see it helps, but Graal4.exe is always using around 92% while system idle process or Explorer.EXE use around 1-3 and I know what every process on my list does, that's how long I've had this small problem. :P

This should help too. (Not coming to solutions that I should uninstall programs to make less lag because I've tried this).

Last edited by CheeToS2; 06-07-2007 at 08:23 PM..
Old 06-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Graal is by default using DirectX. If this is not working very well, then it may be a good idea to try using OpenGL mode (Graal4.exe --opengl) and see if that improves the speed.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Man of the King
Question

Hmm, how do I switch to OpenGL?

Old 06-07-2007, 03:23 PM
My empire of dirt
Twinny is just really niceTwinny is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Twinny
You have to run graal4.exe with the additional option 'opengl'. Follow these steps for an easy solution.

Browser to your graal install directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Graal\), right click graal4.exe and choose Send To => Desktop (create shortcut).

Close the window, right click the newly created shortcut and choose properties. In the target section, add -opengl at the end. Mine ended up with "C:\Program Files\Graal\Graal4.exe" -opengl

Finally rename the shortcut to something appropriate (e.g. Graal Opengl). Now when you want to run graal in opengl, just use that shortcut.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:29 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, ooooh...err...you should get more RAM, seriously. 256mb is not cool. Especially for Graal. Graal is pretty hardware hungry :/
Old 06-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Man of the King
Question

Thank you so much both of you!

It's now running good, and I don't think there is any lag. At first it showed up with weird symbols but now its all good and it's a little different like a few lil buggy things, but no lag. Thanks so much

EDIT: Actually it's really weird.. I don't think their glitches but when I press F7 to open the playerlist then go back to the game I can press enter or chat instead when i press.. 'P' my chat bar opens with '/party' same with the 'S' button for '/shout' and I cant delete text, but I have to press Alt+Tab as if Im getting back into the game or something to fix that but it doesn't bother me all that much. Weird OpenGL..

EDIT2: Ok.. now it's annoying, If I do something as simple as click on the screen (while in fullscreen) it triggers that stupid thing. Therefore while playing zodiac i can't run around, click on a monster then shoot magic because none of my keys work when i click the monster (clicking the screen triggers the bugthing)

So in conclusion, Anyone got any suggestions for my next problem? XD

Last edited by super_matt89; 06-07-2007 at 04:32 PM..
Old 06-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Well a few questions:
- You only lag on Classic servers or also on Kingdoms and Zone? Might have something to do with the classic bodies
- You are sure that you have the latest drivers for your card? I am not sure how you can have no lag in other games with 100 moving players on the screen while Graal is slow
- The memory (256MByte) should be enough, the next Graal version even takes less memory
- The thing with the GUI on Zodiac is probably the same like in normal mode? Because the GUI should work exactly the same, only the playerlist is special because it is an external window
Old 06-07-2007, 04:44 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Stefan, are you sure 256 is enough? Because I got some...lets say huge problems with less than 768...seriously. And yes, I am talking about v4, not v2. Graal is really a problem sometimes. If too many particles are used, it lags like ****. If I would compare that to Half Life 2, that still runs lagless with 3 times more particles. I know, you shouldnt compare Graal to HL2. But Graal is only 2D, lights normally dont add a shadow to something...That shouldnt be a problem if you ask me ;/

Edit: Oh, about your OpenGL problem...restart your computer. I had to do that before running Graal with OpenGL the first time. It was really bugged before.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Varia Developer
Angel_Light is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Angel_Light Send a message via MSN to Angel_Light
My Graal runs Flawless with 512 MB of RAM, also it might help if you change the priority of Graal To change do this.

1) Open up your Task Manager, (Do this by right-clicking on the Taskbar and then click "Task Manager"
2) Next click the "Processes" tab.
3) Find Graal4.exe, and right-click it
4) Nect, place your mouse over "Set Priority" then click Above Normal, High, or Real Time
5) Restart Graal, if needed.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:13 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Light View Post
My Graal runs Flawless with 512 MB of RAM, also it might help if you change the priority of Graal To change do this.

1) Open up your Task Manager, (Do this by right-clicking on the Taskbar and then click "Task Manager"
2) Next click the "Processes" tab.
3) Find Graal4.exe, and right-click it
4) Nect, place your mouse over "Set Priority" then click Above Normal, High, or Real Time
5) Restart Graal, if needed.
I tried that once, that only slowed down the game. Hehe.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:00 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkbud View Post
I tried that once, that only slowed down the game. Hehe.
Yea, it can also be a problem sometimes. Wont help my games in most cases. Only my SNES emulator is running twice as fast if I set its pritority to 'very high'.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Stefan, are you sure 256 is enough?
Well I got Kingdoms to work on a computer with 32 MByte RAM total. Some people reported memory leaks with their sound driver, but Graal itself has no known memory leaks. I can sometime check to make particles more efficient though.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:15 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
256MB is enough, I used to have this much memory back in 2003/2004 and it was fine.

Not sure about the Zodiac problem.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:49 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Well I got Kingdoms to work on a computer with 32 MByte RAM total. Some people reported memory leaks with their sound driver, but Graal itself has no known memory leaks. I can sometime check to make particles more efficient though.
Mh...do you also have a computer with a standard onboard sound card? Sound cards themselves are sometimes produced tons of CPU lag.