Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Levels Artist
fatcat123 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Era) inside level

I guess I won't give up on leveling because a few of you inspired me. I decided to take Rogue's advise and try to make the level look more detailed (without NPCs). Even though most levels on Era need NPCs to make them look half way decent. I understand if you dislike the level, but please tell why. Any changes you think should be made, let me know. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nooooo.PNG
Views:	265
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	53326  
Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
I like this level, but i dont like the middle design thing. Seems oddly shaped. But besides that, i like it
Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Levels Artist
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajchris View Post
I like this level, but i dont like the middle design thing. Seems oddly shaped. But besides that, i like it
Yeah, I wasn't going to put it there, but then I thought of Rogue again. Perhaps I'll make the shape better. Thanks
Old 08-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
Again with over-sized inside levels.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Levels Artist
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7chocoboknight View Post
Again with over-sized inside levels.
I wouldn't call that "over-sized". It could be a bit smaller because there's a little extra space on the floor, but that's not "over-sized". This is over-sized:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	noon.PNG
Views:	212
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	53327  
Old 08-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
It is oversized. So big level, so extremely little content.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Levels Artist
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
It is oversized. So big level, so extremely little content.
Exactly what should I do different? If I make it any smaller I'll be taking **** away, therefore it'll look worse.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
Make it smaller and you'll be removing FLOOR TILES. You can still keep all of the NPC crap just make them closer together.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat123 View Post
Exactly what should I do different? If I make it any smaller I'll be taking **** away, therefore it'll look worse.
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...78#post1580878

I like referring people to that post. Great level, great proportions, and nothing unecessary at all in the level.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 08-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Levels Artist
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...78#post1580878

I like referring people to that post. Great level, great proportions, and nothing unecessary at all in the level.
Ah. Thanks man. You'll be seeing a post from me in a hour or two with a new inside. Hopefully you'll like this one better. (I haven't even started it yet).
Old 08-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Levels Artist
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7chocoboknight View Post
Make it smaller and you'll be removing FLOOR TILES. You can still keep all of the NPC crap just make them closer together.
So, uh.. I decided to log on Classic. The first couple levels I entered were okay, but then I came to these two. (inside/outside). I think it's self explanatory....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	owned.PNG
Views:	201
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	53329   Click image for larger version

Name:	owned2.PNG
Views:	198
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	53330  
Old 08-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
So, uh.. I decided to log on Classic. The first couple levels I entered were okay, but then I came to these two. (inside/outside). I think it's self explanatory....
Random shot at Classic for no reason?

Anyways, I don't think those levels were made by Skyzer, and a lot of levels on Classic kind of suck anyways. Redoing a bunch of levels to perfect them isn't exactly the best use of development time.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Skyzer Zolderon
I wasn't talking about inside level compared to the outside. I'm talking about how your inside levels are massive and look bad because of it.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:51 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
@OP:

The walls are different heights despite being on the same plane.
And I can't tell the purpose, it's all a bit random...

There's seating and books and stuff like a house, but then it has the 'black' across the center of the level with the out-of-place bed and dark plant/gun table.

It's an improvement, but gonna agree w/ Ziro about the lack of content.

It seems your problem is never having a purpose/goal/theme in your levels.. you just spat some random stuff around.

Whenever I make a level, I first know what that level has to be (is it gonna be a gun shop? gang base? house level?) then I get a theme (is it Asian/wood? futuristic? mafia?) and select an assortment of possible tiles. Based on what I want to include and the purpose of the level then comes the size/placement/designs. Finally imagery that matches the things I just listed.

Try thinking if what you're intending to create BEFORE you go throwing down tiles and making a level. It'll make the whole process easier, and hopefully the finishing product better.

Rawr o.O?
Old 08-07-2011, 02:10 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
gz, the outside level is probably older than you irl