Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2008, 10:55 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
It is not stealing anyway because the moment you upload anything to Graal, it does not belong to you anymore and Graal can do whatever it ****ing wants with it.
No, it is stealing. It's taking something without the permission of the originator. Graal's content policy protects each server's unique content; taking it without asking is stealing. Do I have to define the word any more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
man these open source companies must be really stupid then
Open source companies usually rely on donations. It's not a very profitable business model.

Just because you don't care if some schmuck builds success off of your hard work doesn't mean that everybody should be forced to give out their scripts. It also doesn't make somebody who wants to keep their hard work exactly that -- theirs -- selfish.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
Open source companies usually rely on donations.
No, they do not.

Look can you just stop posting or something? This is not going anywhere.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:59 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Name some multi-million dollar open source companies. I can guarantee that they don't give away everything and let you do whatever you want with it.

I'm not going to stop posting just because you can't come up with retorts.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 PM
N-Pulse Asst. Manager
The_Kez is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to The_Kez
Don't even let him change the topic to open source companies. I think the last thing he wants to do is have to argue about whether or not open source servers are a good idea or not.
And whether or not you suggest it to future development, you're absoloutly right, 'this is not going anywhere'. So don't bother.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:31 AM
DrakilorP2P is just really niceDrakilorP2P is just really nice
Quote:
Open source companies usually rely on donations. It's not a very profitable business model.
Quote:
Name some multi-million dollar open source companies. I can guarantee that they don't give away everything and let you do whatever you want with it.
That's not how free software works.

Given that, I don't think it's appropriate to apply business concepts to Graal servers since they're not even remotely comparable to conventional companies.

Quote:
What about Valikorlia? We're in the process of making these things. If somebody were allowed to take our scripts, and they finished it before we did, then all the work you've done was pointless. It's called stealing. It's immoral and cheap.
You people keep posting "what if..." nightmare scenarios. Frankly, I've never seen any of these things actually happen in the real world, which is why I believe your have nothing to be afraid of.

Also, it's not called stealing; it's called copying. The effect on the victim is only indirect.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:58 AM
N-Pulse Asst. Manager
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakilorP2P View Post
You people keep posting "what if..." nightmare scenarios. Frankly, I've never seen any of these things actually happen in the real world, which is why I believe your have nothing to be afraid of.

Also, it's not called stealing; it's called copying. The effect on the victim is only indirect.
I have seen them happen. I've had my own scripts stolen from ex staffers wo went to work on another classic server. Fortunately for me Graal servers are still closed source, so I could have PWA step in. If they are open source I don't have that option anymore. When I create something, I like the idea that I can choose whether or not to make it opensource by posting it in the code gallery, or keeping it private to that server.

And as far as wheter it's called stealing or copying is completely missing the point. It doesn't matter what you call it; you're still taking someone's hard work and making it so it's not -their- hard work anymore.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:13 AM
master of infinite loops
Quote:
What exactly is the downside of asking "what if"? No decision should ever be made without knowing all the possible consequences. The scenario I posted is a very possible scenario if anyone had access to any server's scripts.

But, realistically, there is nothing to be afraid of, because servers will never be forced to be open source.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kez View Post
I have seen them happen. I've had my own scripts stolen from ex staffers wo went to work on another classic server. Fortunately for me Graal servers are still closed source, so I could have PWA step in. If they are open source I don't have that option anymore. When I create something, I like the idea that I can choose whether or not to make it opensource by posting it in the code gallery, or keeping it private to that server.
Why exactly was it a bad thing that they copied the scripts? Oh no, they are trying to make a better server, they must be stopped at all costs.

Quote:
And as far as wheter it's called stealing or copying is completely missing the point. It doesn't matter what you call it; you're still taking someone's hard work and making it so it's not -their- hard work anymore.
"Making it so it's not their hard work?" I really have no clue how that is even possible. I generally leave it to Bill Gates to pretend that 'work' is like a substance that can be sold for a fee.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:25 AM
N-Pulse Asst. Manager
Quote:
Why exactly was it a bad thing that they copied the scripts? Oh no, they are trying to make a better server, they must be stopped at all costs.

"Making it so it's not their hard work?" I really have no clue how that is even possible. I generally leave it to Bill Gates to pretend that 'work' is like a substance that can be sold for a fee.
It's not bad that they're trying to make a better server. It's bad that they can't make a better server without leeching off of the work that the rest of us do. What reason is there for anyone on graal to learn to script if all you have to do is copy/paste from other servers and make minor changes?
And like I said before, it's not about private servers. There is a competition between the servers for graal's player count, that would be completely lost if all you had to do on a classic server was take another server's scripts. Classic servers would evolve to look more and more similar to each other every single day.

And yes, just because you don't mind that people take what you work on and use it for themselves without your permission does not mean the rest of us should not have the choice to keep what we make for our servers.
That's not selfish, again, I point to the code gallery.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:59 AM
Quote:
It's not bad that they're trying to make a better server. It's bad that they can't make a better server without leeching off of the work that the rest of us do. What reason is there for anyone on graal to learn to script if all you have to do is copy/paste from other servers and make minor changes?
And like I said before, it's not about private servers. There is a competition between the servers for graal's player count, that would be completely lost if all you had to do on a classic server was take another server's scripts. Classic servers would evolve to look more and more similar to each other every single day.
I think we can rebrand the copying and pasting of a server as "forking." Contrary to your intuition, forks are a good thing in most open source environments.
I wish to propose the hypothesis that originality will be more important than ever when clones are easy to make.
And regarding learning: people generally don't copy and paste as a substitute to learning. Most of the time they make stupid threads asking for someone to "maek" their game for them.

Quote:
And yes, just because you don't mind that people take what you work on and use it for themselves without your permission does not mean the rest of us should not have the choice to keep what we make for our servers.
That's not selfish, again, I point to the code gallery.
Actually, I'm not really arguing for a draconian approach to this.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:01 AM
N-Pulse Asst. Manager
Forking may be fine in an open source environment, but that isn't going to persuade anyone that making graal servers open source in the first place is a good idea. You said yourself that people don't substitute copy/paste for learning. That's exactly my point. People who can copy/paste won't even bother learning because they won't need to. They'll just blindly copy/paste whatever they need into their server and let that be that.

We can argue the pros and cons of making everyones work accessable to everyone all day long but in the end I very highly doubt that it will ever be implemented.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:33 AM
Quote:
People who can copy/paste won't even bother learning because they won't need to. They'll just blindly copy/paste whatever they need into their server and let that be that.
I'm not convinced that such an individual would even be capable of doing so and get good results. Are you doing this argument out of genuine concern for these people?

Quote:
We can argue the pros and cons of making everyones work accessable to everyone all day long but in the end I very highly doubt that it will ever be implemented.
I completely agree.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:46 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
What about Valikorlia? We're in the process of making these things. If somebody were allowed to take our scripts, and they finished it before we did, then all the work you've done was pointless. It's called stealing. It's immoral and cheap.
Nobody is going to get a classic server by copying Valikorlia. I'm tempted to release the scripts just to prove the point.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:03 AM
master of infinite loops
If they finished their server before we finished ours? I wouldn't say never.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:43 AM
N-Pulse Asst. Manager
Quote:
I'm not convinced that such an individual would even be capable of doing so and get good results. Are you doing this argument out of genuine concern for these people?
Not for concern for these people, for concern that people like that would be able to use what I've worked on to advance their classic servers.

@Inverness: No one has to get classic. Servers that are already classic will benefit from using your scripts without knowing anything about how they work, and do it without your permission.