Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Woman
Lyndzey is a jewel in the roughLyndzey is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
the point is that applications are pretty useless, since it's been made perfectly clear that they aren't the preferred method of PWA hiring (or any other global staff i suspect). then why are they even on here? why did they have a bunch of people apply when they didn't want to hire people like that anyways? it gets people's hopes up when they apply for something, so to see that it isn't preferred, and it isn't even necessarily required; makes it difficult to reason out why they applied in the first place? it's like a big list of people who didn't make it so far
I agree completely. The application forum for PWA is unnecessary. It was used by HoudiniMan, and now that he's gone, it is pretty much worthless.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Vima is an unknown quantity at this point
congrats Xor
Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
the point is that applications are pretty useless, since it's been made perfectly clear that they aren't the preferred method of PWA hiring
Oh, yeah, I totally do not disagree with that, hence the edit.

Quote:
since graal was being protrayed as a development platform, it made sense that the people on the forums would be the active ones, the developers and such. so having them apply for a global position would be good
I think it is a pretty big fallacy that is at the root of what is wrong with Graal that you need to be appointed into a position of power before you can start doing useful work. Not disagreeing, though, I guess.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:41 AM
The secret of NIMH
Robin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Robin
Your English is better than my German, Ben

On topic though, I can't say I either agree nor disagree with how players are feeling, but can anyone, truly offer suggestion as to who would be better suited, in a completely and totally non-biased way?

Loriel is right, nepotism is rife in Graal, but it's because you tend to trust people you know, rather than any old person.

Which would you rather, someone who could be trusted with that much power, or someone who is more popular?

Graal isn't a democracy, and hopefully never will be, otherwise nothing would get done at all.

I don't want to have to vote on whether the next client release includes Flying Technology, say, or not, it just should, or shouldn't, depending on completion.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:02 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post

On topic though, I can't say I either agree nor disagree with how players are feeling, but can anyone, truly offer suggestion as to who would be better suited, in a completely and totally non-biased way?

Which would you rather, someone who could be trusted with that much power, or someone who is more popular?
Someone one person trusts or someone whom is popular and can be known to be trusted? I'd think the latter. It's not really popularity anyways. Anyone whom has worked long enough has a list in their head of who does what and how well.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzey View Post
No, that's not what I am saying at all. I don't think that an application is the best way to go about choosing someone for a global staff position. If the PWA wanted to only hire people they like, I'm sure they could have them send in an application and hire them that way.
No, but an application helps describe how a person will do. I have no clue how Xor was hired but I can also feel how insulted the people who applied did when their applications were overlooked by somebody who didn't have to apply. It doesn't matter of your experiences about some former Classic GP, as an application has proven to be more effective in most cases.

For your previous response, this isn't like the real world yes, but a real world job analogy should be no different in choosing people. Not everybody knows everyone's capabilities and an application can and will show that. It's not that I don't think Xor isn't qualified though.

Also, I really don't feel that it should be a prerequisite, or be a large influence, to hold some high staff position on the forums. I've seen several helpful people on the forums that could be good for PWA that have been heading up UC servers, but aren't high staff positions on Classic Servers.

So far this thread has gotten a lot of negative feedback from the community, and it's not just out of jealousy,.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 07-22-2009, 02:17 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
James is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to James
I think people just feel betrayed because they took the time the time out of their day to fill out an application and are not even being considered. I'm surprised the application forums were put up anyway. This is nothing new though, this has been happening since the dawn of Graal.

JAMES BAY PACKERS
2011 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2012 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS

“If I can slow it down in my mind... things will be fine."

-Aaron Rodgers
2011's NFL Most Valuable Player

Old 07-22-2009, 02:17 AM
The secret of NIMH
Robin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Robin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
Someone one person trusts or someone whom is popular and can be known to be trusted? I'd think the latter. It's not really popularity anyways. Anyone whom has worked long enough has a list in their head of who does what and how well.
More popular doesn't necessarily mean more trustworthy, but then they made me a global when I was sixteen years old. I was an absolute mess

Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 AM
Woman
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
It doesn't matter of your experiences about some former Classic GP, as an application has proven to be more effective in most cases.
Really? When?

My experience with the former GP was just an example. There are several more I could go off, but I'm not going to start naming names of successes and failures on here. I was a global staff member for years, and I learned that an application is not the way to go when it comes to hiring people on this game.

Like I said before, HoudiniMan is the one who opened up the application process, and he is no longer the PWA Admin. Bell is the PWA Admin now, and will choose to hire people in the way that she feels is the most effective method.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:37 AM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
More popular doesn't necessarily mean more trustworthy, but then they made me a global when I was sixteen years old. I was an absolute mess
I was global when I was... Ive forgot, but I was never allowed rc or other stuffs that would require trust ... I was like a random player but with a fancy tag that had the power to report problems to the real globals haha xD

But gratz Xor :]

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:22 AM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
when I was sixteen years old
Come on, you have nothing on me~
Old 07-22-2009, 03:31 AM
Woman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Come on, you have nothing on me~
14 years old and Game Master? Very impressive, I don't think anyone will be able to beat that.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:33 AM
???
Scary_Sock will become famous soon enough
Jesus, alot more people became a global then I ever thought.

I still have a "Dream" to become a "Global" some day.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:34 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzey View Post
14 years old and Game Master? Very impressive, I don't think anyone will be able to beat that.
ah, the silly decisions of stefan and unixmad, what will they do next?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:38 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I was once a global in my dreams. When it started turning a little less about 'saving Graal' and a little more about systematically fixing the servers that newbie developers break (y'know, the servers that have no chance at making it past the 6 month mark) it rapidly changed into a nightmare.
Closed Thread