Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Banned
protagonist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to protagonist Send a message via MSN to protagonist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimetsu
But they might care about the advances that it facilitates.

Let me guess: You don't know anything about them?
You guess wrong, as usual. Just stick to the stuff you know.

It is doubtful that they care about the advances it facilitates to the point where they are drooling over (or even care about) every single update released, which is almost always based on fixing something in GS2. In fact, I bet they don't even pay attention to GS2 stuff or know about it (probably don't read newfeatures) It's too bad you're not quite as intelligent as some people (including yourself) might think you are. Take your attitude somewhere else, parrot. I'm tired of your repetitious arrogance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haro41
protagonist, would you rather have had graal stay as classic, expanding and evolving on itself, rather than changing graal into something new? In a sense, moving forward, not upward? Its interesting to think about what could have been. We could all still have been playing classic to this day.
I had more fun in the classic days. True, it might have worn itself out, but before P2P there were people who were alot nicer. Not everyone was, but there seemed to be a greater number of just plain nice people. Also, the "classic" gaming feel was why I started playing. Not because Graal was the most graphically advanced game on the market, but because it was Zelda-like.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by protagonist
You guess wrong, as usual
And you offer no contrary evidence, as usual.

Quote:
It is doubtful that they care about the advances it facilitates to the point where they are drooling over (or even care about) every single update released, which is almost always based on fixing something in GS2. In fact, I bet they don't even pay attention to GS2 stuff or know about it
Where did you learn to read? I didn't say they cared about the language. I said that they will care about the advances it facilitates.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=facilitate

Quote:
It's too bad you're not quite as intelligent as some people (including yourself) might think you are
Hahaha. Y'know, this whole BAD BOY VT act isn't so much intimidating as it is endearing. It's like watching a four-year-old rebelliously scowling after a stern admonishment.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Banned
Quote:
And you offer no contrary evidence, as usual.
I thought we were to assume the negative if no proof for the positive was given? It is laughable that you change your standards just so that it suits your argument. Of course you'll try to talk your way out of this. Go ahead, straw man yourself.

Quote:
Where did you learn to read? I didn't say they cared about the language. I said that they will care about the advances it facilitates.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=facilitate
Where did you learn to read? I didn't say they didn't care about the advances it facilitates, I said they didn't care enough to actually make them feel better about the game. The only possible things that the average player would appreciate is a fix to a bug, not the addition of hidden(to them, anyway) functions. Bug fixes are not that common, and most of the time it seems updates are designed to give developers an easier time rather than adding things that players might enjoy directly.
Quote:
Hahaha. Y'know, this whole BAD BOY VT act isn't so much intimidating as it is endearing. It's like watching a four-year-old rebelliously scowling after a stern admonishment.
Dude, you use snob appeal to make people think they want these updates. You just tried to tell me that I must not understand the updates if I don't think they're so great. The fact is I read the newfeatures, and I'm regularly unimpressed in doing so. "Rebellious four-year-old" is just about as solid as "self-important snob".
Old 05-27-2005, 12:33 AM
Script Monkey
Quote:
I thought we were to assume the negative if no proof for the positive was given?
No, I said that we were to assume the default. Most non-scripters don't know anything about GS2, and you're most definitely not a scripter. The default assumption is that you're completely ignorant of what it brings, and you've given us no reason to move away from that default.

Quote:
Where did you learn to read? I didn't say they didn't care about the advances it facilitates
No, your counterargument was that the players "don't even pay attention to GS2 stuff or know about it". That's great, but I never claimed that they do.

The point is that they don't need to be aware of something in order to benefit from it.

Quote:
Dude, you use snob appeal to make people think they want these updates
I do? When was the last time I mentioned them, outside of this thread? Or are you basing this solely on the fact that I admonished you for speaking about something you don't understand?

Quote:
You just tried to tell me that I must not understand the updates if I don't think they're so great. The fact is I read the newfeatures
Haha. Congratulations on being literate, but you're not really proving anything. What makes you think everything is in newfeatures? Graal's undergoing an apotheosis at the moment, what with the standardisation of GS2 and the advances in V4. It's a long process, but the end result is that developers will be able to make grander, richer systems than before, and they'll be able to do it twice as quickly.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:48 AM
Banned
Quote:
No, I said that we were to assume the default. Most non-scripters don't know anything about GS2, and you're most definitely not a scripter. The default assumption is that you're completely ignorant of what it brings, and you've given us no reason to move away from that default.
Alright, so wouldn't I be the best kind of person to ask about this type of thing? I know nothing about scripting. What I do know is that, currently, NPCs and so forth are good enough for me. I don't need them to be any better. There are functions I want to see that aren't being put in, apparently because all the attention on updates goes to scripting.

Quote:
No, your counterargument was that the players "don't even pay attention to GS2 stuff or know about it". That's great, but I never claimed that they do.

The point is that they don't need to be aware of something in order to benefit from it.
How do they benefit? They want something interesting. They want something interesting when the update happens. You're implying that a new GS2 function provides them with it. This is blatantly untrue, as you have to depend on the developers to actually make appropriate use of said function. Neat features built into the client directly are far more gratifying for the average player.

Quote:
I do? When was the last time I mentioned them, outside of this thread? Or are you basing this solely on the fact that I admonished you for speaking about something you don't understand?
It's snob appeal, no matter how many times you use it or where you use it.

Quote:
Haha. Congratulations on being literate, but you're not really proving anything. What makes you think everything is in newfeatures?
Total and unadulterated irrelevance. Name an update that the average player would notice that isn't in newfeatures. Most of the "covert" updates are just that: covert. Nobody knows about the updates because said updates don't affect them on a direct and obvious level. Thus, the game appears boring because nothing is updated.

Quote:
Graal's undergoing an apotheosis at the moment, what with the standardisation of GS2 and the advances in V4. It's a long process, but the end result is that developers will be able to make grander, richer systems than before, and they'll be able to do it twice as quickly.
That's fine, but it's undergoing this apotheosis at the expense of interesting additions that players can actually relate to. Big updates which are far between are dangerous; people can lose interest in the game before a major addition is factored in. A number of smaller tweaks and additions should be factored in so it actually looks like the developer is doing something, rather than one huge update at the end. The way it looks now, we have a dead Graal3 project, GK is dying, and Graal3D/Graal 2001 are completely out of the picture. Graal4 is simply rumors: even though there is a thread in the bugs forum, no screenshots have been released and no actual plans for the version have been specified.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:03 AM
Script Monkey
Quote:
Alright, so wouldn't I be the best kind of person to ask about this type of thing? I know nothing about scripting
Yeah, that's exactly what I said. You denied it a few minutes ago, and now you're using it as the crux of your argument?

Quote:
What I do know is that, currently, NPCs and so forth are good enough for me. I don't need them to be any better
Mm-hm. And you "need" an updated tileset?

Quote:
How do they benefit? They want something interesting. They want something interesting when the update happens. You're implying that a new GS2 function provides them with it
No, I'm saying that new functionality allows the developers to make interesting content. That's why we have a scripting language. It lets one person provide many people with the ability to improve the game.

Quote:
It's snob appeal, no matter how many times you use it or where you use it
I quote: "you use snob appeal to make people think they want these updates". I don't care what weird terms you invent - the fact is that I'm talking purely to you here, and I'm not trying to make you want anything. What would be the point? After all, you're 'quitting', right?

Quote:
Name an update that the average player would notice that isn't in newfeatures
If it's not in newfeatures yet then it's not finished yet. That doesn't mean it's a waste of time, or that it won't benefit the average player.

Quote:
That's fine, but it's undergoing this apotheosis at the expense of interesting additions that players can actually relate to
No, that's exactly why it's changing; to provide more of those things.

It amazes me that you continue this argument without even knowing what GS2 can do. What kind of "interesting additions" do you want?

Quote:
Graal4 is simply rumors
Gahahahahaha. Tell that to the beta testers
Old 05-27-2005, 02:23 AM
Nil Recurring
Nitkizi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nitkizi
Graal3D is dead?
I got a scar where all my urges bled
I got people underneath my bed
I got a place where all my dreams are dead
Swim with me into your blackest eyes
Old 05-27-2005, 02:29 AM
Banned
Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly what I said. You denied it a few minutes ago, and now you're using it as the crux of your argument?
The thing is, I do know some of what GS2 is about. To say I don't would be wrong. I will concede I'm not a scripter, though, and probably don't appreciate the updates as much as a scripter might. Therefore, I can relate to the average player.
Quote:

Mm-hm. And you "need" an updated tileset?
Not necessarily; however, tilesets are alot more in-your-face than NPC scripts. The average player doesn't care if an NPC works a little bit faster or slower due to an improvement. They do care if there are glaring tile errors.
Quote:
No, I'm saying that new functionality allows the developers to make interesting content. That's why we have a scripting language. It lets one person provide many people with the ability to improve the game.
In doing this, you are depending on people you don't even know to improve the game for you. Not only that, but you can't say that most developers take full advantage of the GS2 engine, nor can you say that the "interesting content" replaces the need for more client software updates.

Quote:
I quote: "you use snob appeal to make people think they want these updates". I don't care what weird terms you invent - the fact is that I'm talking purely to you here, and I'm not trying to make you want anything. What would be the point? After all, you're 'quitting', right?
Why are you defending yourself with questions? Maybe its an integrated part of your argument style, but it is also ineffective. If you're talking purely to me and don't wish to have any sway on anyone else's opinion, why are we doing this on a public forum?

Quote:
If it's not in newfeatures yet then it's not finished yet. That doesn't mean it's a waste of time, or that it won't benefit the average player.
If it's not finished yet, then it's not an update yet.

Quote:
No, that's exactly why it's changing; to provide more of those things.

It amazes me that you continue this argument without even knowing what GS2 can do. What kind of "interesting additions" do you want?
I want actual client-integrated functions. I think that it is a horrible mistake to integrate RC into the client and to integrate many client features into scripts stored on the RC. It opens the door for exploits or abuse.

Quote:

Gahahahahaha. Tell that to the beta testers
I haven't seen signs of the purported "multi-layer" level system either (which WOULD have an astounding effect on Graal). What exactly are the improvements they are beta testing?

(EDIT: Removed the links, some people might not appreciate the wit)
Old 05-27-2005, 03:03 AM
Banned
KuJi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to KuJi Send a message via AIM to KuJi Send a message via MSN to KuJi Send a message via Yahoo to KuJi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitkizi
Graal3D is dead?
Wrong, it was supposed to be "just a demo".
Old 05-27-2005, 03:25 AM
Script Monkey
Quote:
The thing is, I do know some of what GS2 is about. To say I don't would be wrong
Yeah? What exactly do you know?

Quote:
Not necessarily; however, tilesets are alot more in-your-face than NPC scripts. The average player doesn't care if an NPC works a little bit faster or slower due to an improvement
This isn't just a matter of improving efficiency, dude.

Quote:
In doing this, you are depending on people you don't even know to improve the game for you
It seems to be working reasonably well so far. Graal is built on player contributions. While I may not like most of the servers on offer, it's clearly true that many players do.

Quote:
Not only that, but you can't say that most developers take full advantage of the GS2 engine
I don't think I did. It's not even standard yet, and I'd say that less than half of all scripters have learned to use it. Even if they don't employ all of its functionality, they'll still be able to develop faster simply because GS2 is easier to use and more economical.

Quote:
Why are you defending yourself with questions?
Hahaha. Oh, the irony.

Quote:
If you're talking purely to me and don't wish to have any sway on anyone else's opinion, why are we doing this on a public forum?
As opposed to what? We could do it through IMs, but if you're arguing extemporaneously then you're likely to spend even less time thinking about your responses.

Quote:
If it's not finished yet, then it's not an update yet
For the moment, I'm gonna ignore the fact that you don't seem to know what 'update' means and instead point out how irrelevant that is. Your overall claim is that Stefan's efforts are misplaced. The issue, then, is the worth of the things he's working on - not whether or not he's finished them yet. However you label them, they're still worthwhile projects.

Quote:
I want actual client-integrated functions
Such as?

Quote:
I think that it is a horrible mistake to integrate RC into the client and to integrate many client features into scripts stored on the RC. It opens the door for exploits or abuse
What kinds of exploits? What kind of abuse?

Quote:
I haven't seen signs of the purported "multi-layer" level system either (which WOULD have an astounding effect on Graal). What exactly are the improvements they are beta testing?
Wait, are you backtracking now or do you still think that v4 doesn't actually exist?

Last edited by Kaimetsu; 05-27-2005 at 03:35 AM..
Old 05-27-2005, 04:30 AM
Banned
Quote:
Yeah? What exactly do you know?
Modelled after the C language, more efficient as a result: more capabilities for data storage. GUI capabilities.

Quote:
This isn't just a matter of improving efficiency, dude.
No, but some of the functions which are implemented can be already emulated by existing functions.
Quote:
It seems to be working reasonably well so far. Graal is built on player contributions. While I may not like most of the servers on offer, it's clearly true that many players do.
Are you saying that, out of all the potential gamers for Graal, the current number of players is impressive?

Quote:
I don't think I did. It's not even standard yet, and I'd say that less than half of all scripters have learned to use it. Even if they don't employ all of its functionality, they'll still be able to develop faster simply because GS2 is easier to use and more economical.
I didn't say you said that, I said you can't say that. And what's the point of adding a ton of features in GS2 if less than half of the developing community know how to use it yet?

Quote:
Hahaha. Oh, the irony.
I wasn't defending myself with a question, I was posing a question to you.

Quote:
As opposed to what? We could do it through IMs, but if you're arguing extemporaneously then you're likely to spend even less time thinking about your responses.
Here we go again. More of the cookie-cutter, arrogant, snob-appeal attitude. Dude, I'm knocking everything you say down. Don't pretend you're winning this pissing contest.

Quote:
For the moment, I'm gonna ignore the fact that you don't seem to know what 'update' means and instead point out how irrelevant that is. Your overall claim is that Stefan's efforts are misplaced. The issue, then, is the worth of the things he's working on - not whether or not he's finished them yet. However you label them, they're still worthwhile projects.
An update in the sense that I'm using it is an addition/tweak/fix to the Graal client or engine. And anyway, I don't consider an update an update until it's complete. There's no such thing in my book as a 1/2 update.

Quote:
Such as?
As I said before. Global messaging/PM/chat system and a global friends list to name a couple.

Quote:
What kinds of exploits? What kind of abuse?
A scripter could easily disable a server and delete alot of hard work, and also do alot more damage if the RC, PMs, and playerlist are all scripts.

Quote:
Wait, are you backtracking now or do you still think that v4 doesn't actually exist?
I never claimed it didn't exist. There are lots of rumors of what it is, but there has been no actual description of it.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:35 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
A scripter could easily disable a server and delete alot of hard work, and also do alot more damage if the RC, PMs, and playerlist are all scripts.
Think about what you're saying. Are you seriously going to play a playerworld where all of the scripts have been deleted even in the GS1 system? I mean, after you've milked the "ZOMG" factor out of it.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Velox Cruentus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Velox Cruentus Send a message via AIM to Velox Cruentus
G4 exists. A LOT of people are using it... Well, not that much. An exclusive amount of players are using it and reporting the bugs in a sticky forum in Tech Support Forum.

I'm pretty sure Graal isn't making that thread just to get the players spread rumors on it's existance. It's been known to me for over a month that G4 exists. Infact, some users already logged on to my server with graalversion == 4. Thus, it DOES exist.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
Think about what you're saying. Are you seriously going to play a playerworld where all of the scripts have been deleted even in the GS1 system? I mean, after you've milked the "ZOMG" factor out of it.
The thing is, GS1 scripts are just GS1 scripts. They don't necessarily control the clients' functions to the extent GS2 does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velox Cruentus
G4 exists. A LOT of people are using it... Well, not that much. An exclusive amount of players are using it and reporting the bugs in a sticky forum in Tech Support Forum.
I know people are using it, but how would you know by the way Graal's management is spreading the news? Additionally, I don't know why all VIPs aren't being given this; we're supposed to be testing new technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velox Cruentus
I'm pretty sure Graal isn't making that thread just to get the players spread rumors on it's existance. It's been known to me for over a month that G4 exists. Infact, some users already logged on to my server with graalversion == 4. Thus, it DOES exist.
But the management has said nothing official.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:12 PM
VulcanP2P is on a distinguished road
Stefan is releasing Graal v4 to VIP members in a few days. That came straight from him.