Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 07:23 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
I wish $700 a week was middle class. Cost of living is redic. here compared to how strong our dollar has been for the last few years
No kidding, with insurance as a diabetic, my blood check strips for my meter can cost 100 dollars by themselves and that's for 100 strips.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
It's not impossible though. Look at the Apple app store and all of the people that made hundreds of thousands of dollars from single purchase apps.

The pay should definitely be a percentage to encourage servers to try and make as much money as possible. And if it's a decent percentage then there isn't any reason why somebody couldn't make a living off running a server across all platforms.

I wish $700 a week was middle class. Cost of living is redic. here compared to how strong our dollar has been for the last few years
Ya, if you make your own app maybe you'll rake in some money... but this is not the same situation.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Retired
SlikRick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I guess I'll wait for this to be implemented before I start working on my server then.

If I can earn even just $100 a day from Graal that'll probably be enough to get me to quit my current job and work on a server full time.
You are greatly mistaken if you think they are going to pay you while your server is UC. UC servers do not bring in players to the game and keep them there like the Gold, Classic and Hosted servers. The only revenue they bring in is the money you pay to get Gold Dev time, so you are better off starting on your server now in hopes of getting it completed and up on one of the tabs when/if this ever gets implemented.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:29 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRick View Post
You are greatly mistaken if you think they are going to pay you while your server is UC. UC servers do not bring in players to the game and keep them there like the Gold, Classic and Hosted servers. The only revenue they bring in is the money you pay to get Gold Dev time, so you are better off starting on your server now in hopes of getting it completed and up on one of the tabs when/if this ever gets implemented.

If his goal behind a server is making money, it doesn't make sense to create the server until you know you can actually make money off it eventually.

It would be like developing an iPhone app in a world where Apple hasn't yet said whether developers will receive a percentage of sales and yet still planning to make money off it. After all, you don't get paid during the development of the app!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Banned
Vinka has a spectacular aura aboutVinka has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post

If his goal behind a server is making money, it doesn't make sense to create the server until you know you can actually make money off it eventually.

It would be like developing an iPhone app in a world where Apple hasn't yet said whether developers will receive a percentage of sales and yet still planning to make money off it. After all, you don't get paid during the development of the app!
Well, that's just a risk you'd have to take.

If you don't enjoy the process of developing it, it would be pretty pointless however.

Last edited by Vinka; 03-25-2011 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinka View Post
Well, that's just a risk you'd have to take.

If you don't enjoy the process of the developing it, it would be pretty pointless however.
Pretty much. If you don't enjoy what you're doing and are only doing it for money, you are going to end up with half assed content.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRick View Post
Pretty much. If you don't enjoy what you're doing and are only doing it for money, you are going to end up with half assed content.
Graal isn't the only 2D mmo client ever made in the history on the universe. If I had to choose between Graal and another engine with better support and features and the deciding factor is whether I could make money from Graal or not then yeah, I'd pick Graal, but otherwise I wouldn't waste my time.

I've already started making some engine agnostic content (mostly graphics) and they're not half assed, so cheers bro.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Retired
Quote:
Graal isn't the only 2D mmo client ever made in the history on the universe.
OMG no way?
Old 05-25-2011, 02:39 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
Imagine a community with competent moderators that has a mind of their own as well beside the rulebook they keep under their pillow every night, but also sane rules that don't just exist to just piss people off, perhaps giving you the ability to criticize without being locked, closed and bananed (not even allowed to talk about that, like wtf not? so ridiculous) but don't get me wrong they do improve (sometimes) like remember when we wasn't even allowed to post youtube links in that popular music thread without asking for permission first... but then again it was moved to the lounge so that doesn't really count

Anyways, and administrators that listen and take part of their small but cuddly cute dying community, the one making all the rules don't post anything himself and have no clue what hes customers want and the other one takes like a half year to get a forum reply from and then only get a message that says "hmm what do you mean?".

A community where the developers are appreciated for making all the content, get good updates like easier and upgraded tools to work with and of course not having to pay to dev (server renting I can understand but developing... seriously?)

And like listen to the awesome ideas that people post, like my 3d terrain idea (yes it is awesome) also has layer tiles, premade scripts and stuff like that baked into it, and is from 2009! and still haven't even got a single care.

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:55 PM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
yeah but galdor, they're trying to make money, so any of the neglect and short ends of the stick we get are okay!! /blindjustification

I miss indy devs with big hearts, coding from their bed in their NY flat. Slapping shareware.txt files into their game .rars, or asking only that you get them a (root)beer if you ever see them in public as payment for the game.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:26 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
very romantic kia
Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Ignorance has no future
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
Imagine a community with competent moderators that has a mind of their own as well beside the rulebook they keep under their pillow every night, but also sane rules that don't just exist to just piss people off, perhaps giving you the ability to criticize without being locked, closed and bananed (not even allowed to talk about that, like wtf not? so ridiculous) but don't get me wrong they do improve (sometimes) like remember when we wasn't even allowed to post youtube links in that popular music thread without asking for permission first... but then again it was moved to the lounge so that doesn't really count

Anyways, and administrators that listen and take part of their small but cuddly cute dying community, the one making all the rules don't post anything himself and have no clue what hes customers want and the other one takes like a half year to get a forum reply from and then only get a message that says "hmm what do you mean?".

A community where the developers are appreciated for making all the content, get good updates like easier and upgraded tools to work with and of course not having to pay to dev (server renting I can understand but developing... seriously?)

And like listen to the awesome ideas that people post, like my 3d terrain idea (yes it is awesome) also has layer tiles, premade scripts and stuff like that baked into it, and is from 2009! and still haven't even got a single care.
I understand that you would like to develop for "free" because it would help the game, draw new/old players in, and better your own skills which we assume Admins want.

Yet, truth be told being able to develop is a service they provide us. In return we must pay for this service, like most other companies require. For us to benefit off of their programs for free, would no longer make them a profitable company, but a charity. Take a look at it from this perspective, you want to learn self defense, so you take up a local martial arts class (costing you money.) It would be nice for them to teach you for free, because it would help protect you and others, which is a good thing. Yet, they like EuroCenter, is a business and they need profits for what they provide. What they provide benefits us, and they are kind enough to give us development tools (which a lot of games don't normally provide).

I know they have progressed from updating the computer client version and have moved on to mobile devices/facebook, so in all likeliness the new development tool updates they promised(?) would probably be the final developmental update for the game (other than scripting variables etc.) So it is just time for us players to accept that they aren't our friend, we are the customer they are the provider.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
Yet, truth be told being able to develop is a service they provide us. In return we must pay for this service, like most other companies require. For us to benefit off of their programs for free, would no longer make them a profitable company, but a charity. Take a look at it from this perspective, you want to learn self defense, so you take up a local martial arts class (costing you money.) It would be nice for them to teach you for free, because it would help protect you and others, which is a good thing. Yet, they like EuroCenter, is a business and they need profits for what they provide. What they provide benefits us, and they are kind enough to give us development tools (which a lot of games don't normally provide).
How is making content for them and at the same time paying money for that the same as paying for martial arts classes?

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
How is making content for them and at the same time paying money for that the same as paying for martial arts classes?
What? You've never taken a martial arts class that you've had to pay for and teach yourself?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
I understand that you would like to develop for "free" because it would help the game, draw new/old players in, and better your own skills which we assume Admins want.

I know they have progressed from updating the computer client version and have moved on to mobile devices/facebook, so in all likeliness the new development tool updates they promised(?) would probably be the final developmental update for the game (other than scripting variables etc.) So it is just time for us players to accept that they aren't our friend, we are the customer they are the provider.
Yes, they are the provider and we are the customers. However, what we are discussing is if they are a good provider.

Also, there is no need for an analogy. The situation is as simple as this:

We are paying to develop content for Graal. We get no money from the content we make.

Sure it's legal for them to do this, but it's hardly a good model. It means that all the skilled developers will leave because they aren't getting anything out of this deal. It also just generally annoys everyone because it smells like a scam. This isn't theoretical, it's really what happens (proof: look at the this thread and the dozens like it before, and then look at how fast staff disappear from servers after only short stays).
Closed Thread