Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
Wil brought up a good point. Why was Erik fired, being as staff works for us the players, We demand an answer
I don't really see why it matters...Simply put: he just wasn't doing his job very well anymore.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Everytime I see ya...
Old_Days is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
Our choices are not solely based on an application or "how much we like you" -- they are based on a number of things. Personally, I look at the following (in no particular order):

How you act in game and on the forums. Are you a trouble maker? Mature? Do you only look out for yourself or do you actually seem to care about others?

Your jail/ban histories. Chances are that if you have had lots of jails/bans you will not be hired.

Your application. Did you take it seriously? How did you answer the situational questions? Do you seem like someone who will be able to make good, logical decisions?

Prior experience. Don't really care about this, but if you have experience I will look at how well you handled the job in the past.

Sales is right about how they do check the person as an individual, check the jails/bans, etc. But I honestly do believe that there is a huge percentage in matter of opinion for hiring someone. That will never stop, even as much as we want it to. Staff will deny it to the day they die but thats the truth, thats human nature.

Me myself (as an example) ill probably never get hired again, why? Because I usually end up pissing people off with my very outward opinion. Ive also come to accept this, because I have gotten in a few jams in the past.

But saying that opinions and likes and dislikes dont play a role. Ha. I can garantee everyone it plays a major role in graal itself. It will never change, so dont expect it to.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
I don't really see why it matters...Simply put: he just wasn't doing his job very well anymore.
If we were playing cards I would call 'Bull ****'.

He was probably the most active PR on the roster, far exceeded the maximum potential of the new cadets, and from a personal point was (with Dunez sometimes) the only one to actually answer my PMs or take time to help me with anything. (Minus the time Gabe actually answered me in regards to Sigma, then totally went out of his way to have him in jail for a prolonged period and fired for his own personal biased reasons, but lets not get into that)

Seriously now, I'm not playing favorites here, I barely know any of the new PRs, or Erik for that matter. But from what I've seen over the past week of the new cadets, I could laugh for hours. (Travis = 5 hour jail for typing an essay?) And from what I know (sources not to be revealed) Exolia had PR/GP rights before the applications were even out to the public. Stop trying to mask the obvious, we're not all retarded.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:14 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
To address everyone who is saying that staff are chosen based on our opinion of the person and that people are fired for biased reasons: you're totally right.

Personally, I don't want to live in a world where the people up top choose things from looking at a piece of paper and not even taking into account previous issues. If I knew someone was a trouble maker or was constantly harassing players/staff, of course I'd "veto" their application. Why does that not make sense?

As for firing staff, that's bit more controversial, but understand this: no one has a "right" to be staff, regardless of how much work they've done, how well they do their job, etc. I'm not talking about anyone in specific here, but if the rest of the staff team (or even the administration) thinks someone is doing their job poorly, do they really need an official documented reason to fire them from an online game?

I used to think they did, which is why I kept Mesh on the staff team for as long as I did; everyone familiar with that story can see what kind of mess that lead to .
Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 PM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaman771 View Post
If we were playing cards I would call 'Bull ****'.

He was probably the most active PR on the roster, far exceeded the maximum potential of the new cadets, and from a personal point was (with Dunez sometimes) the only one to actually answer my PMs or take time to help me with anything. (Minus the time Gabe actually answered me in regards to Sigma, then totally went out of his way to have him in jail for a prolonged period and fired for his own personal biased reasons, but lets not get into that)

Seriously now, I'm not playing favorites here, I barely know any of the new PRs, or Erik for that matter. But from what I've seen over the past week of the new cadets, I could laugh for hours. (Travis = 5 hour jail for typing an essay?) And from what I know (sources not to be revealed) Exolia had PR/GP rights before the applications were even out to the public. Stop trying to mask the obvious, we're not all retarded.
Um, practically every ETA had GP/PR rights. (Maverick, Zoo, etc.) They need it in regards to Event disruption and some other cases. However, he never had RC or anything. Therefore, I don't get why you need to say (sources not be revealed). It's common knowledge. Also, ETA has access to the support center in regards to the Event department.

Now, like I stated before. If you have any problems in regards to PRs abusing, or doing anything improper for that matter, you can PM me and i'll look into the accusations.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Banned
LoStSuRfEr1 is on a distinguished road
nevermind. Not worth it

Last edited by LoStSuRfEr1; 12-15-2009 at 12:57 AM..
Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Cake'd
Nataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of light
I don't really care about how they're hired as long as they do their job.

I am sure that if you have a good reputation, a nice story as a player, and the potential of being good at the job, Staff will always take a good look.

I know little about the new PRs, though it's my fault for being inactive for the past days.

I remember about Exolia, he was Asst. ETA when Maverick was ETA I think? then he got fired for taking the ETA position without "permission" or something like that..

I know Casper for being a good gangster :P.

Can't say anything about the others, good luck to y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_Fish View Post
Most of your current PRs are hardly ever on, Crackwizard? What does he do? Gabriel, is he still alive? MontyPython, he's as frequent as Friday the 13th.
Crack is the best current PR IMO, I've always seen him on RC and most of the time working, he's a hard worker and I'm completly sure if you ask him for help he will the best he can.

Quote:
Abit off-topic, but who's incharge of Gangs and Businesses?
Amsel I think

Last edited by Nataxo; 12-15-2009 at 01:05 AM..
Old 12-15-2009, 01:06 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataxo View Post
Amsel I think
Amsel doesn't work on Era anymore. Sales, Squirt, and I take care of gang issues.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:19 AM
MontyPython is a jewel in the roughMontyPython is a jewel in the rough
There's a fundamental difference between PR and all the other jobs on the server.

Player Relations is entirely about dealing with other people (no ****?), enforcing rules, and problem solving. Your day-to-day activities on Era are vitally important (much moreso than your token application). If you're an ET member and you're a jackass when you're off-tag or throwing out racial slurs, okay. That doesn't make it right, but your off-tag behaviour doesn't directly affect your ability to host events in any way. Likewise, if you're a developer, your off-tag behaviour isn't extremely important (we're not talking about major rule-breaking or abuse, just little things), because you're not hired because of your charisma or your impressively low ban/jail history. You're hired because you can (in theory) script/graphic/whateverthe**** well.

That being said, your personality and behaviour in the game as a PR is absolutely important. You're not hired to bring "work" talent. Your "work" talent is your personality/behaviour. You're there to sort out player's problems. Answer gameplay questions. Bring swift justice upon miscreants. So if you're off spouting racial slurs and being a general jackass when you're offtag, but then you get on-tag and jail someone for that exact same behaviour, that's not doing a good job. That makes you a terrible PR and an insufferable hypocrite.

The application itself, as far as I'm concerned, gives little-to-no evidence as to what kind of PR you'd actually make. It's just a hoop to jump through. It does prove you're at least half-way serious about the job, because you're taking the time to (hopefully) fill out the application to the best of your ability. But here's the problem: unless you're exceptionally stupid/honest, everyone knows what a "right" answer is on a PR application.
A classic question example would be a question that asks: "If your friend breaks the rules, what do you do?"
Hmmm, I wonder what an unbiased, upstanding PR would do...

In reality, your real application is your reputation (think kind/unkind; follows rules/doesn't follow rules; - I'm not talking about your "oldbie" bull**** status or your current e-peen size), your actions, and your jail/ban history. You can give all the right answers and promise to be the incarnation of Mother Teresa, but if you're known as a jackass and have a ban history that requires a mouse wheel to fully navigate through, I think I'll take my chances with someone else.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Master Blaster
deathbarrier99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to deathbarrier99 Send a message via Yahoo to deathbarrier99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPython View Post
There's a fundamental difference between PR and all the other jobs on the server.

Player Relations is entirely about dealing with other people (no ****?), enforcing rules, and problem solving. Your day-to-day activities on Era are vitally important (much moreso than your token application). If you're an ET member and you're a jackass when you're off-tag or throwing out racial slurs, okay. That doesn't make it right, but your off-tag behaviour doesn't directly affect your ability to host events in any way. Likewise, if you're a developer, your off-tag behaviour isn't extremely important (we're not talking about major rule-breaking or abuse, just little things), because you're not hired because of your charisma or your impressively low ban/jail history. You're hired because you can (in theory) script/graphic/whateverthe**** well.

That being said, your personality and behaviour in the game as a PR is absolutely important. You're not hired to bring "work" talent. Your "work" talent is your personality/behaviour. You're there to sort out player's problems. Answer gameplay questions. Bring swift justice upon miscreants. So if you're off spouting racial slurs and being a general jackass when you're offtag, but then you get on-tag and jail someone for that exact same behaviour, that's not doing a good job. That makes you a terrible PR and an insufferable hypocrite.

The application itself, as far as I'm concerned, gives little-to-no evidence as to what kind of PR you'd actually make. It's just a hoop to jump through. It does prove you're at least half-way serious about the job, because you're taking the time to (hopefully) fill out the application to the best of your ability. But here's the problem: unless you're exceptionally stupid/honest, everyone knows what a "right" answer is on a PR application.
A classic question example would be a question that asks: "If your friend breaks the rules, what do you do?"
Hmmm, I wonder what an unbiased, upstanding PR would do...

In reality, your real application is your reputation (think kind/unkind; follows rules/doesn't follow rules; - I'm not talking about your "oldbie" bull**** status or your current e-peen size), your actions, and your jail/ban history. You can give all the right answers and promise to be the incarnation of Mother Teresa, but if you're known as a jackass and have a ban history that requires a mouse wheel to fully navigate through, I think I'll take my chances with someone else.
tl;dr plus I'm sure it's a rant.

I shall not rest until every idiot has been vanquished!

Eros Cassini (Mon May 08 13:16:32 2006):
You're the fat Cassini
Old 12-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Forum Moderator
TSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbarrier99 View Post
tl;dr plus I'm sure it's a rant.
You should take the time to read it. Sure, it's fairly long-winded, but the points it brings up amongst the extra wind are absolutely true and this is something I agree with entirely, if nothing else stands out in his post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPython
In reality, your real application is your reputation (think kind/unkind; follows rules/doesn't follow rules; - I'm not talking about your "oldbie" bull**** status or your current e-peen size), your actions, and your jail/ban history. You can give all the right answers and promise to be the incarnation of Mother Teresa, but if you're known as a jackass and have a ban history that requires a mouse wheel to fully navigate through, I think I'll take my chances with someone else
· User Agreement · Code of Conduct · Forum Rules ·
· Graal Support · Administrative Contacts ·
Old 12-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Hired/Fired
CharlieM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CharlieM Send a message via MSN to CharlieM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAdmin View Post
You should take the time to read it. Sure, it's fairly long-winded, but the points it brings up amongst the extra wind are absolutely true and this is something I agree with entirely, if nothing else stands out in his post:
tl;dr

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

Eric Hoffer

turned that one on you didn't I.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:07 PM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
staff hirings have been biased for as long as i can remember. i don't see why you guys still waste your time *****ing about it. it'll never change.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Venom_Fish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Venom_Fish
Uhm, I was originally going to respond to Sales' listed reason but somewhere along the lines of everyone's ranting, I lost my train of thought.
Let me sum this all up, Staff Hirings, expecially PRs are EXTREMELY biased. All the politically correct excuses, and this that and the third doesn't change that. Its been that way, mostlikely will remain so.

My entire point was, do not put up the applications. Its a waste of time, you all agreed with that. Therefore, enforce it. Rather than waiting two weeks while understaffed for enough people to fill it out, just hire who you will. I can careless about the bias, just the next time I want someone to watch a trade, I shouldn't have to look. I want them to be there, on-command. Ya dig? I'm impatient, rightly so. We shouldn't have to go on expeditions to find PRs.

Lets face it, your job is simple enough. Its not the most difficult task on earth, yet you find ways to screwup and become complete dissapointments. I mean, I remember the team being so incompetent, that LORDSQUIRT himself acknowledged it. Thats sad. (Oops, I ranted.)

In any event, why was Erik fired? All I've gotten was bull**** answers that beat around the bush, and FYI Squirt, you don't like Erik or didn't awhile ago in a conversation with me.

MontyPython, I don't remember you being the most well-behaved player. Lol, I sort of remember quite the opposite. Talk about contradictory.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:30 AM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_Fish View Post

In any event, why was Erik fired? All I've gotten was bull**** answers that beat around the bush, and FYI Squirt, you don't like Erik or didn't awhile ago in a conversation with me.
When did I ever say that I disliked Erik as a person? I doubt I ever said that. Also, from what I remember you have no respect for him always calling him 'thing 1' or w/e. Therefore, out of the two of us I think i'm the one who has more respect for him as a person.