Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Gold Servers > Graal Kingdoms
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-08-2008, 01:47 AM
a/s/l
Elizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Elizabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
Initiating negative rep sequence. Done.
LOL
thank you
i forgot that was a forbidden word on the forums
and everywheres else .
Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Banned
xAzerothx has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to xAzerothx Send a message via MSN to xAzerothx Send a message via Yahoo to xAzerothx
Tig4managerlulz
Old 05-08-2008, 01:58 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
Dead men make horrible managers
At least they tend not to abuse their power.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Sounds like Classic. Staff willing to work, but inactive management that won't seem to be let go.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkbud View Post
At least they tend not to abuse their power.
You definitely don't want Malinko then :P
Old 05-08-2008, 02:05 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
You definitely don't want Malinko then :P
If he's as bad as he was on Babylon ...

I should think death stops most abuse problems?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:06 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkbud View Post
If he's as bad as he was on Babylon ...

I should think death stops most abuse problems?
Except he's not dead, unless you mean a dead beat drama queen.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:08 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
He took part in a conversation about people being mature last night. I would assume that mature men don't lie. So he's clearly a zombie.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:17 AM
the fake one
Quote:
Except he's not dead, unless you mean a dead beat drama queen.
I know him well enough to know he's quite the drama queen

He made a webpage with sad music with a LONG story of how he was going to let Babylon die ... all so he could fire people.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:16 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
The problem is we need a new manager regardless who so that new staff CAN be hired and so that new content CAN be generated.
The issue is not the hiring of staff. If it were then all that would need to happen would be the better employment of the developer hiring capabilities of the kingdom leaders. The issue is access to GK's source code, which you do not get even if you're hired as a developer and without which you can't do very much. You could say "Well then we need a new manager who will give people access to the source code" but really all that's required is a single (and fairly passive) policy change, which doesn't require changing the manager.

Of course, if you really want new content, the best way is to simply release most of the source code publicly. This is what happened (due to a server backup being illegally leaked) on 2K1. The result was a lot of new content being made (did this new content actually do anything to stop the server from dying? No it didn't.)
Old 05-08-2008, 04:21 AM
Banned
Send a message via AIM to xAzerothx Send a message via MSN to xAzerothx Send a message via Yahoo to xAzerothx
How would we get the source code if the manager isn't even on to give it to us?
Old 05-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Boom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi View Post
The issue is not the hiring of staff. If it were then all that would need to happen would be the better employment of the developer hiring capabilities of the kingdom leaders. The issue is access to GK's source code, which you do not get even if you're hired as a developer and without which you can't do very much. You could say "Well then we need a new manager who will give people access to the source code" but really all that's required is a single (and fairly passive) policy change, which doesn't require changing the manager.

Of course, if you really want new content, the best way is to simply release most of the source code publicly. This is what happened (due to a server backup being illegally leaked) on 2K1. The result was a lot of new content being made (did this new content actually do anything to stop the server from dying? No it didn't.)
Well you don't need the "source code" of the server to script for GK - I assume you mean the information the mudlib uses. It would definitely help people learn to script on GK - which is a large problem I'm having... I need people who have experience and aren't too busy to script.

A manager isn't going to have the authority to hand that sort of information anyways - it comes down to Stefan/Unixmad. This is probably why Stefan is hesitant to give me access, but as I've already said he's being very foolish. He's given iSplash access unknowingly and has given Tig (previous hacked on GK) access to whatever he needs. He's doing more damage with his paranoia and loyalty than good.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:31 AM
the fake one
Quote:
Well you don't need the "source code" of the server to script for GK - I assume you mean the information the mudlib uses. It would definitely help people learn to script on GK - which is a large problem I'm having... I need people who have experience and aren't too busy to script.

A manager isn't going to have the authority to hand that sort of information anyways - it comes down to Stefan/Unixmad. This is probably why Stefan is hesitant to give me access, but as I've already said he's being very foolish. He's given iSplash access unknowingly and has given Tig (previous hacked on GK) access to whatever he needs. He's doing more damage with his paranoia and loyalty than good.
Why does it matter if GK's source code gets out? Open source is (generally) good, he should let people use the scripts, even if only on GK.

Why is he worried that people can do harm with access to the code?
Old 05-08-2008, 04:57 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAzerothx View Post
How would we get the source code if the manager isn't even on to give it to us?
The manager shouldn't have to "give" you the source code. You should be able to download it like most development staff on other servers can.

Quote:
Well you don't need the "source code" of the server to script for GK
It depends on what you're trying to do, but almost anything aside from very small updates would require knowledge of the GK's unique function and variable names, probably some idea of how the functions work, and the best way to get that knowledge is to look at relevant scripts on the server.

There are other cases where it wouldn't truly be necessary but would be good for purposes of efficiency/consistency. If you're making a new spell, for example, it would be more efficient and maintain consistency between the various spell scripts (I suppose it's not impossible that all spells run off a single function, but I doubt it. If they run off multiple functions with one for each of the various "types" of spells such as bullet, cone, etc. as is more plausible, assume the spell being made is something completely different) if you could look at the other spell scripts/functions while making it.

Quote:
I assume you mean the information the mudlib uses.
"Source code" refers to all scripts on the server.

Quote:
I don't really understand what Stefan would have to lose by publicly releasing a lot of 2K2's source code (though I can see why he would want to keep SOME of it secret if he thinks it could be used to develop exploits). It's not like he's some petty playerworld owner. Even if playerworlds "steal" some of the code, it's hard to see how Stefan loses out given 2K2's current situation, and he would stand to gain if it results in an improvement in the quality of playerworlds.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:44 AM
Banned
Ok, who will upload it somewhere so we can download the source?