Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2003, 07:50 PM
call me Chad, it's cooler
Dach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by bo0ey
One word: Graalnet Snooper

Players can log onto this snooper with
their graal account/password and it will
log them onto a 'Lobby' where they can talk
to other players. They can click on the
Playerworld button to show a list of the playerwords.
They can enter a playerworld, but they would only
be shown as 'name' (Snooper) and have an
icon that snoopers get, say, an eyeball.
They can send PMs and chat with other snoopers.

the graal messenger that Nova is making will allow you to send pms to in-game people even though your not playing methinks
Old 09-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Sir Pickles at one time
superb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Dach

the graal messenger that Nova is making will allow you to send pms to in-game people even though your not playing methinks
Might as well be Angel's project by what I've heard.

-Pickles
Old 09-12-2003, 09:57 PM
I am the trap
Shiftk03- will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyhm
Implication is subject to interpretation. If the majority believes it was an intentional implication - ie most people think "I did not have sexual relations with Miss Monica Lewinsky" implies he didn't get any favors either, thus it was implied. If only you read "Hey, I was working on something like that too, cool" as "HEY YOU, THAT WAS MY IDEA!", then it's not as good as saying it - you're just wrong and need to take deeper breaths.

Which is the case remains to be seen; I can't speak for the majority.
Are you implying that I had sexual relations with that Dserver?
Old 09-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Cerebrate
Neoreno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Neoreno
...Excuse my ignorance, but what the hell is a Dserver?

Quote:
Exitus Acta Probat: The Outcome Justifies the Deed.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:28 PM
Banned
Golbez is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Golbez Send a message via Yahoo to Golbez
Aye, Direct Connect... Angel I can see it being a good idea but to much "*****s" would be asking to much questions and others would have illigal things hosted. Ya and you know where that goes...
Old 09-13-2003, 12:30 AM
Banned
Python523 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I kind of doubt that =/ unless he has the protocol the gserver uses it would be really hard to make that...
Old 09-13-2003, 12:39 AM
Gone
zell12 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to zell12 Send a message via AIM to zell12 Send a message via MSN to zell12
anti-hax code build in.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:05 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Neoreno
...Excuse my ignorance, but what the hell is a Dserver?
^-- Same Question --^
Old 09-13-2003, 11:55 PM
TribulationStaff is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TribulationStaff
From what I've head, its some sort of advanced RC.

Help me keep scripting
Old 09-14-2003, 12:06 AM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Implication is subject to interpretation.
True, but the whole point of implication is that there is an intended meaning. People can be wrong about it, but it exists nonetheless. Even if we discard this and rely on estimation, it doesn't mean that the majority decides anything.

In this case, ProjectShifter's use of the '=/' emoticon makes it clear that he was making the observation in a disgruntled mood, and implying that there was something wrong with Angel's actions.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:44 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
But this implied meaning is subject to interpretation. You can't say "When you closed that door, you implied all african-americans love kool-aid!"; while you can infer that, it's not explicitly implied. (I was implying that it's cold and I don't want moths in my house - how you got kool aid out of that is quite beyond me!) In fact that's a contradiction in terms, practically (but not quite on a technicality) an oxy***** - you can't explicitly imply, which is to say something implicitly. So it boils down to: Did most people infer the same thing? In that case, something was certainly implied, whether it was intended or not. Did only one or two people infer the same thing, or loosely related things? In that case nothing was implied so much as inferred; you got more out of it than was actually there by virtue of nobody else saw it. Majority rule is the only stable way to adjudicate implication.

You can infer something freely. You can't tell someone they implied something though unless pretty much everyone's getting that same inferrance. Even if you determine it was implied, you still don't have intention; they might not have meant to signal your opinion's unimportant by folding their arms and yawning, but they did so accidentally.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 09-14-2003, 06:10 AM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
But this implied meaning is subject to interpretation.
Of course it is, but only because we don't have access to the mind of the person who implied it. There is a correct meaning, and it's not defined by us.

Quote:
In fact that's a contradiction in terms, practically (but not quite on a technicality) an oxy***** - you can't explicitly imply, which is to say something implicitly.
I'm not saying otherwise. I'm not saying that an implication can only be interpreted a single way or that any given action has a meaning baked into it. I'm saying that if somebody makes an intentional implication then there exists a correct way of interpreting that, even if the original implication was sloppy and tenuous.

Quote:
So it boils down to: Did most people infer the same thing? In that case, something was certainly implied, whether it was intended or not.
Well, now we're talking about different things. Since the situation is this case revolves around an intentional implication, I'm limiting my side of the debate to that.

If I mention that I'm getting hungry then I am implying that we find a donut shop. That's absolute fact; in line with the dictionary definition, I 'expressed or indicated indirectly'. It's something that I did, with a clear and immutable meaning in my mind. If you did a little poll then maybe 100% of three hundred thousand people would decide that I was actually implying that I am about to die of starvation, and want to get to a lawyer so I can compose my will. That doesn't mean I was implying any such thing, it just means that the voters were wrong.

So, words and actions have ambiguous meanings, but people do not. There's no way for a single person to definitively identify a sentence's implied meanings but he can guess and strike upon a person's intentions in using that sentence. In the case of people, it's not a 'majority rules' situation. The people who best understand the language and the speaker have the best chance of identifying the correct meaning, but even the flip of a coin can lead to success.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:20 AM
SaijinGohan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SaijinGohan Send a message via MSN to SaijinGohan
Man you guys take forever to post. DServer would be cool from what it sounds. The main thing that I really want is a decent upload limit. I mean I can't even upload my tileset. -.-

Job: A Legend

And you think that you have played Graal forever? Ha!
Old 09-14-2003, 07:23 AM
call me Chad, it's cooler
Dach is on a distinguished road
Ah here it is,
Quote:
originally posted by NovaNet
Note: TGN will have a special graal account which it will connect to all playerworlds and using special parameters you can send messages to GIM Users and GIM Users can message Graal users and if AIM,MSN, ICQ capabilities are added you will be able to communicate globally.
well I guess that means you'd pm graal players... *scratches head* I know it was suggested way back when while the idea was still infant
Old 09-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Sir Pickles at one time
superb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ah here it is,

well I guess that means you'd pm graal players... *scratches head* I know it was suggested way back when while the idea was still infant
Yeah, but I doubt that will happen unless Angel does it for Nova.

-Pickles