Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 02:21 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
<gauntletvoiceover>Text needs AA badly.</gauntletvoiceover>
Click image for larger version

Name:	aa.png
Views:	83
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	54147

Gave the B a try. Don't like it very much though.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Banned
Cow2001 is a jewel in the roughCow2001 is a jewel in the rough
nice but shouldn't you be able to go up and sit on the roof?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
I've adjusted and revived this thread due to the similarity and the potential for repeats in future.
The Graal City Castle exterior has been renovated:

Name:	castle.png
Views:	176
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	54764

While this is a much larger change compared to all previous versions of the Castle outside, it still retains elements of them all in one way or another, while standing out as more unique.

*Attachment was updated

Last edited by ffcmike; 05-30-2012 at 03:16 AM..
Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 AM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
I can't say I enjoy the renovation to the Castle, the tiles contrast in a way that makes the level look poor. It seems almost as if the level editor was rushing through the project.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:09 AM
DeCeaseD will become famous soon enough
Like the new castle and tiles, just not the colors of the tiles.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialistic View Post
I can't say I enjoy the renovation to the Castle, the tiles contrast in a way that makes the level look poor.
Could you be a bit more specific?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCeaseD View Post
Like the new castle and tiles, just not the colors of the tiles.
The colour of the tiles are the same colours used in the normal castle wall tiles. This helps keep the main tileset below 256 colours, but also allows tiles which may not be specifically intended to work together to blend more easily.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
Could you be a bit more specific?

The colour of the tiles are the same colours used in the normal castle wall tiles. This helps keep the main tileset below 256 colours, but also allows tiles which may not be specifically intended to work together to blend more easily.
More or less I'm pointing towards the mixture of the colors within the tiles used. To be specific the castle walls and than the "walkable" tiles which sit on the upper structure of the castle. They contrast far too much and throw off the readability of the building. Perhaps this is just my personal opinion though?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 AM
graal player lord
I mean, there is too much contrast with the gold/gray tiles, it makes the level hard to look at.

I think if you replaced the gray roof tiles or even the color of the tiles that it will look a lot better.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I like the new tiles a lot, great job.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Quote:
I mean, there is too much contrast with the gold/gray tiles, it makes the level hard to look at.

I think if you replaced the gray roof tiles or even the color of the tiles that it will look a lot better.
Exactly what I was getting at. :o
Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCeaseD View Post
To be specific the castle walls and than the "walkable" tiles which sit on the upper structure of the castle. They contrast far too much and throw off the readability of the building. Perhaps this is just my personal opinion though?
Quote:

There definitely is a fair degree of contrast between the tiles, which there has to be some of so the floor can be better distinguished. What adjustments to the floor colour would you make in order for it to not clash as much?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 AM
graal player lord
I just logged on and took a view for myself, and to be honest it doesn't look too bad. The screenshot of it as a whole made it look horrible. But I'm sure if you at least darken the gray, it would look ten times better.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
The problem is you have a very cold(and bright) grey against warm browns.

You could experiment with changing the hue of the grey to something more warm. Contrast in this instance being used to distinguish floor vs wall isn't as necessary when the walls have a solid black outline, and it's not like it's a platformer where poor readability leads to falling into a pit or something like that.

Though I can't say the hue contrast bothered me much as making the floor brown could lead to having a monotonous feel, but if it becomes a majority complaint I feel that's the direction to take it. Alternatively instead of changing it from cold grey to warm brown, you can experiment with other warm colors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2435763625.png
Views:	99
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	54765  
Old 05-30-2012, 01:15 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
The problem is you have a very cold(and bright) grey against warm browns.

You could experiment with changing the hue of the grey to something more warm. Contrast in this instance being used to distinguish floor vs wall isn't as necessary when the walls have a solid black outline, and it's not like it's a platformer where poor readability leads to falling into a pit or something like that.

Though I can't say the hue contrast bothered me much as making the floor brown could lead to having a monotonous feel, but if it becomes a majority complaint I feel that's the direction to take it. Alternatively instead of changing it from cold grey to warm brown, you can experiment with other warm colors.
You and Racil had the same idea, it's already been changed, though is still being experimented with.

Attachment 54764
Old 05-30-2012, 01:59 AM
graal player lord
I think the castle looks great now that the colors flow together a lot better than before.