Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:19 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Looks very nice, if this project is ever completed I would probably consider downloading the client again and checking the server out.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
Looks nice, I'd just say two things:
(1) Make sure all levels look nice, a few are too plain
(2) Staff boots off = how it should stay. Staff boots shouldn't really ever be on imo! Although, it would make it more nostalgic to see staff run around the server!
Old 11-26-2009, 02:06 AM
Cyril Rain
sssssssssss will become famous soon enough
We are still in dev. xD

Theres going to be some plain ones right now, and some completely finished ones. And the staff boots, its just for old times, we all know they really arnt too necessary.
Elysium's Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/GraalOnlineElysium
Graal Forum Thread: http://forums.graalonline.com...
Graalians Thread: http://www.graalians.com...

Old 11-26-2009, 02:17 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
From what I recall, that tileset(houses, trees and such) weren't allowed to be used on Graal because they're just resized and cleaned up versions of Link to the Past tiles. Not to mention the swamp statue is a rip as well as the horizontal bridge.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:10 AM
Cyril Rain
Nope, we haven't been told otherwise, and all the images besides the town signs are made from scratch, not editted versions. Recreations of something similiar but not exact, and not modificiations, are allowed.

With that said, what made you conclude that the swamp statue is an assure rip?

It would probably be best to refer to my latest large post on the server in this thread again, where I comment on a few things like this more generally.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:29 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
That tileset has not been made from scratch. It's copy/pastes of various tilesets, the house/trees of which were made a long time ago and weren't allowed to be used(Stefan deemed them too similar to Zelda, since they are essentially just resized/retouched LttP tiles).

The rips I'm talking about:
Old 11-26-2009, 04:49 AM
N-Pulse Assistant Manager
coreys has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to coreys Send a message via MSN to coreys Send a message via Yahoo to coreys
Man, I knew there was a reason this server had such a nice Zelda feel to it
Old 11-26-2009, 09:09 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
That tileset has not been made from scratch. It's copy/pastes of various tilesets, the house/trees of which were made a long time ago and weren't allowed to be used(Stefan deemed them too similar to Zelda, since they are essentially just resized/retouched LttP tiles).

The rips I'm talking about:
from what i recall, decus is using those tiles not as apart of the finished tileset. since we're looking for familiarity with a link to the past we are using those tiles as placements which will be replaced once proper GFX has been produced to replicate it in a style of our own with a reference too them (for example taking off the triforce symbol, changing the look of the face on the statue, but keep the size at the same dimensions and border detail the same to a degree)

our questing system is going to be completely separate from the other systems on the server, making them meant for solo run through. we will have some quests have guild/party aspects, where it's the same quest being redone after completing it solo, but the enemies get stronger/more frequent and the loot dropped is better. because of this, we felt it appropriate to adopt a zelda-type style seeing as graal is a zelda-platform. i'm designing the quests to have that type of feel, though it won't be running through a main storyline like with shaded legends - each will be it's own separate story/event, and can be done at any time. that's the only reason we have the tiles we have now, to make sure that the feel is there in the levels

loot, just to be clear, is all in terms of NPCs and "hat" prizes (or GFX such as hats which are independent of the actual body, sword, etc.). all of them are planned to be dropped randomly, taking into account how many times the player has done the quest, and how many players are running the quest
Old 11-27-2009, 02:34 AM
alskdjfhg
alskdjfhg is on a distinguished road
Not sure if you're keeping them, but I don't really like the hearts... lol
Old 11-27-2009, 06:11 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
Not sure if you're keeping them, but I don't really like the hearts... lol
i agree with you - other methods of GUI will become available when they have more priority in the creation process
Old 11-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Cyril Rain
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssssss View Post
We do have a few placeholder images that will be replaced, just to let people know so we don't hear "OH! THATS from THERE!". Thats why we need a gfx artist so badly.
I figured I'd quote myself. Apparently people need to read a bit more closely...

Those screens are newer stuff, and are also placeholders, thought you were referring to some other things, sorry about that.

We're trying to give it a zelda feel, so yes, we are going to have similar things.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:22 AM
N-Pulse Assistant Manager
coreys has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to coreys Send a message via MSN to coreys Send a message via Yahoo to coreys
I'm not sure "placeholder" gfx justifies directly ripping gfx from another game.

That's doesn't even fit the general definition of what placeholder gfx is supposed to be. It's supposed to be something like "programmer art," something quick and (often) crappy meant to show what's supposed to go there.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreys View Post
I'm not sure "placeholder" gfx justifies directly ripping gfx from another game.

That's doesn't even fit the general definition of what placeholder gfx is supposed to be. It's supposed to be something like "programmer art," something quick and (often) crappy meant to show what's supposed to go there.
I've used placeholder graphics that were rips before(mainly sprites), but I never used them in public screenshots or such. The problem in this case, besides the advertising while still using ripped graphics, even if just placeholders, is most of the tileset are just copy/paste so how can you tell what is placeholder and what's not?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:05 AM
Cyril Rain
Lol, "most of the tileset" is not just copy/paste images.
And if placeholder is just something quick and crappy to show whats there, then that actually justifies the purpose, we are going to model off of it, so its just showing an idea.

People are always so ready to attack on this game its unreal. It's a server under development, if you want to attack, wait until we say its done, then do so.

I believe being that this has been "stated before" to Dusty, but no one else that works on the playerworld? It should really be a pwa telling us what to do with it in this circumstance as well. If the placeholder needs to go, then we need to be told that, not some random person who has nothing to do with the playerworld at all.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:43 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssssss View Post
Lol, "most of the tileset" is not just copy/paste images.
And if placeholder is just something quick and crappy to show whats there, then that actually justifies the purpose, we are going to model off of it, so its just showing an idea.

People are always so ready to attack on this game its unreal. It's a server under development, if you want to attack, wait until we say its done, then do so.

I believe being that this has been "stated before" to Dusty, but no one else that works on the playerworld? It should really be a pwa telling us what to do with it in this circumstance as well. If the placeholder needs to go, then we need to be told that, not some random person who has nothing to do with the playerworld at all.
animosity aside, we intend to have all original content when we are finished with the server (and by finished i mean ready for classic tab, who knows if that means we'd be actually completely finished at that point) and it should be noted that GFX can be subjected to changes very easily. our main focus is not on GFX and never has been; when you guys participate in the systems we have created, and run through the quests we have designed, i believe the zelda-esque tiles and screen shots with placeholder GFX will fade into the background (meaning it won't be something you are aware of) of your consideration of whether or not the server is fun: especially if you are in an active guild. the GFX is not important enough to bring down the whole of the server
Closed Thread