Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 05:51 PM
jwd
Codein has a spectacular aura aboutCodein has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Codein Send a message via MSN to Codein
It'd be nice to see the city being more compact and a lot less space and then on the outskirts making suburbs and then country side. Might take quite a bit of work. A totally new Gmap could be put into development on the Dev server or something.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codein View Post
It'd be nice to see the city being more compact and a lot less space and then on the outskirts making suburbs and then country side. Might take quite a bit of work. A totally new Gmap could be put into development on the Dev server or something.
The problem is, players tend not to like change. Oldies on Classic, for example, abhor any changes to the map. This is a constant debate sort of thing that goes on on Classic. You can never really have anything new for this reason. Even additions or removals gets the pitchforks ready. Then again, I don't know if Era players are the same as Classic players, when it comes to that.

You have two choices: leave the current world open, and add a new world as an expansion of sorts, or just delete the current world and put everyone in a new map. For the former, you'll end up just having an empty new gmap, as no one will migrate. For the latter, you'll get a bunch of pissed off players.

Updates like this tend to never work on Graal servers, players just get too damn attached to their surroundings.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:25 PM
jwd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
The problem is, players tend not to like change. Oldies on Classic, for example, abhor any changes to the map. This is a constant debate sort of thing that goes on on Classic. You can never really have anything new for this reason. Even additions or removals gets the pitchforks ready. Then again, I don't know if Era players are the same as Classic players, when it comes to that.

You have two choices: leave the current world open, and add a new world as an expansion of sorts, or just delete the current world and put everyone in a new map. For the former, you'll end up just having an empty new gmap, as no one will migrate. For the latter, you'll get a bunch of pissed off players.

Updates like this tend to never work on Graal servers, players just get too damn attached to their surroundings.
After reading an article somewhere, this is the case with most online games. No matter what you do, there's always a group of people that complain. You just have to go with what you think is good, really. If you're skilled in game design, chances are most players will adapt and come to like new additions, whilst this change may also bring in newer players.

To be quite honest though, you could change anything on Era, as long as it adheres to the modern theme with gangs and what not, and the players would still stay because it's the only fully developed modern server and, obviously, the only classic-list modern server.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:41 PM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
I agree.
the gmap right now is messy. very very messy.

the street pattern is ridiculous. would be better if we went to a grid system. this way buildings would be arranged better instead of randomly placed.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:18 PM
jwd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
I agree.

the street pattern is ridiculous. would be better if we went to a grid system. this way buildings would be arranged better instead of randomly placed.
Aye, I like how you're thinking. Even that, without suburbs and country side, would be nice.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
I agree.

Mange already did that with his new GMAP, but then he went and copied over houses and buildings from the current gmap :{

But it has a lot more crossroads and decent blocks of land. And the sewers are actually mapped to the streets now, which is cool.

Just need the LATs to go through and City it up with buildings and alley ways and stuff.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 PM
jwd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
Mange already did that with his new GMAP, but then he went and copied over houses and buildings from the current gmap :{

But it has a lot more crossroads and decent blocks of land. And the sewers are actually mapped to the streets now, which is cool.

Just need the LATs to go through and City it up with buildings and alley ways and stuff.
I would have definitely offered my services if I could make levels with the Era tileset.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Sinkler is a jewel in the roughSinkler is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sinkler
Though, I do miss that building with all the flowers it.

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that."

-John Stuart Mill
Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkler View Post
Though, I do miss that building with all the flowers it.
The indoor garden that was basically made for the sole intention of allowing Kyomi to make thousands and thousands of dollars almost instantly by picking rows of flowers with her boomerang? /That/ building with flowers in it? The one from 2004?

I think Kyomi was even the one that made that, and she turned it into a business where she charged flower pickers $20 to enter. I don't miss it at all.

RC is actually alerted now if any NPC tries to join the flowers class and it isn't on the gmap.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:42 PM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codein View Post
Aye, I like how you're thinking. Even that, without suburbs and country side, would be nice.
could still have that.

that's basically what southridge is supposed to be. it's a residential area with a bunch of player houses.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
God how I wish that was possible.
And a second layer on cars so that I can add roofs with transparent windshields.
And even just for the cars to block properly instead of being non-blocking drawoverplayer. And if blocking doors with cars is a potential problem just have it so that if the speed is less than 0.2 the setshape2 transforms the car into seat tiles, so you can slide over it.
Hi GST do you mind doing something useful for the players of Graal?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:59 PM
jwd
Quote:
could still have that.

that's basically what southridge is supposed to be. it's a residential area with a bunch of player houses.
Maybe for a new update, you could make playerhouses useful by having buyable ranges of furniture and what not.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Quote:
The indoor garden that was basically made for the sole intention of allowing Kyomi to make thousands and thousands of dollars almost instantly by picking rows of flowers with her boomerang? /That/ building with flowers in it? The one from 2004?

I think Kyomi was even the one that made that, and she turned it into a business where she charged flower pickers $20 to enter. I don't miss it at all.

RC is actually alerted now if any NPC tries to join the flowers class and it isn't on the gmap.
That's the only reason I liked it. I traded a GG for a Boomerang, I made thousands of dollars a day lol.

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]

-John Stuart Mill
Old 08-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Ningnong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
  • Create more player jobs, such as Fishing, Cooking, Cleaning (could be another company, cleaning houses) and construction.

I find a lot of games; jobs are introduced that are just plain boring. The game becomes more of a task. Remember: don't take the fun out of it. You want a system where its not taxing to log on every time and clean um... a window? for hours on end /then/ have fun.

Quote:
  • Oil companies might add to the realism of Era, and it will make businesses pay more to create items to sell.

- Sometimes over-complicating things and trying to make a game /real/ never works in my opinion...

Quote:
  • Every player must pay taxes, depending on how much they have and how much they own, staff will figure out how to script this.

- What kind of tax are you referring to, income? If so, that would be a simple formula based on the amount of cash they earn, and in the case you are referring to, items (type/quantity) they own...

Also, why not make it a bit more of a challenge to run a business. Not every business is 100% successful, how about the manager can set wages for his employees, take over heads into consideration, bigger premises = bigger payments to keep running, etc etc....

... By the way Hi, I have been out of Graal for some time, so I have no idea if this system is already in place, but this was a thought:

To get around the problem of players that are part of business that can easily make money, compared to relatively new players who find it hard to earn any sort of money why not implement a 'chance' system in terms of gun crafting.
For example, to create guns, or weapons, or anything for that matter, they need a kind of 'recipie' to be made, or manufactured. Each player could develop their skill in mining / any other system used to gather / find these materials, whereby obviously expensive 'high end' guns are harder to construct because the materials to make them are more rare (i.e. introduce a rarity system for the raw materials) this combinded with a skill + CHANCE system, chance giving the odd player, who may not have that /great/ a "gathering materials skill" on the rare occasion find a high value item in which they can sell to a business.

This doesn't indefinitely make people with few assets 'always poor' there is always that chance they may find an item to sell without going down the long road of cleaing for 20 hours a day / cooking or baking selling ginger bread men at $0.01 each..........

if you catch my drift, just a thought

-Ningnong

Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningnong View Post
[/LIST]
I find a lot of games; jobs are introduced that are just plain boring. The game becomes more of a task. Remember: don't take the fun out of it. You want a system where its not taxing to log on every time and clean um... a window? for hours on end /then/ have fun.
[/LIST]
- Sometimes over-complicating things and trying to make a game /real/ never works in my opinion...
[/LIST]
- What kind of tax are you referring to, income? If so, that would be a simple formula based on the amount of cash they earn, and in the case you are referring to, items (type/quantity) they own...

Also, why not make it a bit more of a challenge to run a business. Not every business is 100% successful, how about the manager can set wages for his employees, take over heads into consideration, bigger premises = bigger payments to keep running, etc etc....

... By the way Hi, I have been out of Graal for some time, so I have no idea if this system is already in place, but this was a thought:

To get around the problem of players that are part of business that can easily make money, compared to relatively new players who find it hard to earn any sort of money why not implement a 'chance' system in terms of gun crafting.
For example, to create guns, or weapons, or anything for that matter, they need a kind of 'recipie' to be made, or manufactured. Each player could develop their skill in mining / any other system used to gather / find these materials, whereby obviously expensive 'high end' guns are harder to construct because the materials to make them are more rare (i.e. introduce a rarity system for the raw materials) this combinded with a skill + CHANCE system, chance giving the odd player, who may not have that /great/ a "gathering materials skill" on the rare occasion find a high value item in which they can sell to a business.

This doesn't indefinitely make people with few assets 'always poor' there is always that chance they may find an item to sell without going down the long road of cleaing for 20 hours a day / cooking or baking selling ginger bread men at $0.01 each..........

if you catch my drift, just a thought

-Ningnong
Hi Ning,

All right, the income tax is a good idea but here's what I want, I want to abolish player trading and have a set in selling market place where there is a set-in max prices for each gun and a set-in minimum price for each gun/item etc. I think this will actually stablize the economy. You can also set prices in between those two number.

The tax-system should be based on how much you have, monetarily and weapon-wise. You could call it income tax, but it's money that's taken away based on the maximum-price set in the market place. example formula (maximum price of item) times (set amount of percentage per weapon/item)
Example Let's say a Handgun's max price is 100 dollars, 100(0.05), this would be done to all your weapons and then added up to set an amount of tax.

For money, it would be taxing on deposits.

-John Stuart Mill