Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting > New Scripting Engine (GS2)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-09-2014, 12:08 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixmad View Post
I want to make a team to work on a new improved scripted RC, who want to help?
What exactly needs done? I've typically used scripted RC for chatting purposes. But I'm all for improving tools.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Callimuc is another great scripter. Definately worth having him help your team. I rarely use the scripted re I just prefer how the RED feels. Especially when your not using tabs for scripts but actual external windows. Also noticed quite a few bugs with it.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:18 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I know this has been discussed before, but are there any compelling features for scripters that an in-game RC could offer over an external client?

As a scripter, I'd much prefer to see a slimmed down external RC which did nothing but launch my preferred text editor to edit scripts. I'm happy using the in-game RC for everything else.

It seems like a waste to spend time rebuilding programming tools; text editors are a solved problem. If the RC protocol was published, I definitely would have built something like this many years ago. This is a couple hundred lines of Python at most.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:58 AM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but are there any compelling features for scripters that an in-game RC could offer over an external client?

As a scripter, I'd much prefer to see a slimmed down external RC which did nothing but launch my preferred text editor to edit scripts. I'm happy using the in-game RC for everything else.

It seems like a waste to spend time rebuilding programming tools; text editors are a solved problem. If the RC protocol was published, I definitely would have built something like this many years ago. This is a couple hundred lines of Python at most.
I second this, being able to use your preferred text editor to edit scripts would be a game changer.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:24 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
If the RC protocol was published, I definitely would have built something like this many years ago. This is a couple hundred lines of Python at most.
There have been custom RC clients in the past. It shouldn't be too difficult reversing what little is there to write your own client. It's not like anybody would notice, either.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:51 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
There have been custom RC clients in the past. It shouldn't be too difficult reversing what little is there to write your own client. It's not like anybody would notice, either.
Until you try to release it and get banned. It's happened.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:08 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
One thing I'd like to see implemented is a way to type to search scripts or files. Similar to how you you'd search accounts/nicknames in the playerlist.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:36 AM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Rocks View Post
One thing I'd like to see implemented is a way to type to search scripts or files. Similar to how you you'd search accounts/nicknames in the playerlist.
"/scriptscan", doesn't work for what you need? I have not tried to see if it work's for scripted rc but I used that and "/scripthelp" almost religiously.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:04 PM
a true gentlemen
No, no. Not what I mean, when I'm in the script browser, I'd like to be able to find scripts by name. At the moment you have to open a tree and search row by row for the name of the script.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
The whole interface could be re-worked to be a lot more user friendly/useful.

I would be more interested in external dev applications, though.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:24 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMelon View Post
The whole interface could be re-worked to be a lot more user friendly/useful.

I would be more interested in external dev applications, though.
Me too, but now ponder this. Maybe he wants us to rescript it GS3 compliant. If this is the cast developing it could lead to an external port (and not just the external scripted windows) but physical applications.

To be completely fair the only reason I do not like the scripted-rc is the way typing feels on it. And I prefer the standard rc's layout with weapons, classes ect not being in the same editor window.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:33 AM
a true gentlemen
So just a few general complaints I've had with the scripted RC.

It would be great if comments had text wrapping.

The other issue I've come across was having a hard time going through a huge list of scripts when the external RC has an easy to use type to search function. The file browser has this functionality, which is nice.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:46 AM
Banned
Tim, that would make great add-ons. What I also would like to see is the SQL explorer built into the scripted-rc as a button. Kinda like the GUI builder.... BTW that gui builder when you place gui's they happen to carry across to other servers.. uhm can this be fixed lol

I also wouldn't mind a level editor, and npc editor built-in. Or the GUI Explorer. I also seem to have minor problems with the playerlist button never working for me. And what kinda sucks is servers like Kingdom's Debug, do not allow scripted-rc for some reason it just wont work for it.

I imagine it would be easy to implement a search feature. Not 100% sure on the wordwrap but that doesn't sound to bad either.

Unixmad, is there any update on this project? Have you decided a team or got enough interest in the project? Callimuc and I both said we would love to help out. I know I personally have about 5-7 hours a day I spend on graal, every day. I am sure callimuc has some time he can spare as well. And is there any specific updates you would like to add?
Old 08-22-2014, 08:44 PM
NaS
Restraint will become famous soon enough
If the client RC were to be updated, it should be updated with real tool additions: An SQL browser, an online level editor that looks and feels like the offline one, a debugger, etc.

Current online level editors all suffer from the same fate: Whoever coded them wants to edit tiles with every change. A nice online tile editor for mass edits would allow you to enter "Edit Mode" where the tiles are shown as images, and your edits happen instantly as images, just like they would in the offline editor. "Floodfill" recursions wouldn't cause soul-crushing lag as they process, since they'd happen instantly. All tile edits would happen simultaneously the moment the designer pressed "Apply."

Speaking of which, GAT tools should exist too. The global graphic uploader should become part of the base client and included into RC. A way for GATs to search through graphics and set transparencies would be nice as well. Same with graphic viewing, etc.

At the end of the day, though, this stuff has already been made. Scripters have, in their own time, made up for the shortcomings of client RC over the years. While maybe not the most professional approach, it'd certainly be nicer to just accept what we have and develop something else.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:38 PM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restraint View Post
If the client RC were to be updated, it should be updated with real tool additions: An SQL browser, an online level editor that looks and feels like the offline one, a debugger, etc.

Current online level editors all suffer from the same fate: Whoever coded them wants to edit tiles with every change. A nice online tile editor for mass edits would allow you to enter "Edit Mode" where the tiles are shown as images, and your edits happen instantly as images, just like they would in the offline editor. "Floodfill" recursions wouldn't cause soul-crushing lag as they process, since they'd happen instantly. All tile edits would happen simultaneously the moment the designer pressed "Apply."

Speaking of which, GAT tools should exist too. The global graphic uploader should become part of the base client and included into RC. A way for GATs to search through graphics and set transparencies would be nice as well. Same with graphic viewing, etc.

At the end of the day, though, this stuff has already been made. Scripters have, in their own time, made up for the shortcomings of client RC over the years. While maybe not the most professional approach, it'd certainly be nicer to just accept what we have and develop something else.
Yes a debugger too would be nice. I use fp4 s one. It would be very nice for these to be built in and not added later with chat commands ect. And I would prefer a level editor that looked like the offline one ad well. And especially if it was access able for non staff to save locally like the graal shop pro does. Since I use mac there is no offline editor. Go structure has troubles compiling now a days too. Would be extremely interested in helping in this scripted rc project unixmad just needs to check back on this post and give us an update.