Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Zeross is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Gang Activitiy

How come gangs don't do anything anymore?
There's like atleast 8 members of each online but none raid and no events.

Where's Morgrim to fix all this?
Old 09-30-2010, 05:07 PM
/-;,;-\ /-;,;-\ /-;,;-\
KrimsonSky can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to KrimsonSky
Morgrim got the boot,

but I agree.

The thing is, the whole gang idea needs to take a 180... because [even tho im so pro ;] ] i don't think gangs should just serve the purpose to "OMg, WHO IS THE BEST PKers!"

and it doesn't help with only 2 gangs and 1... out of place faction.

Gangs should go by who has the most players :P that would sure get more kids on tag, no matter how good they are.

If I was a gangleader, i'd spread the love. not "tryouts"
*Bell (Tue Feb 09 15:32:52 2010): go sit on noctorious and pretend you're on Era!
Chris Vimes (Sun Aug 08 09:40:16 2010): r u rly a purple super dragon??
snk (Working) (Wed Oct 13 12:40:55 2010):they do nothing, i hate them with passion
Old 09-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
i think we have a cool idea for gangs, andrew will be working on it next week! Kinda adds a goal to gangs!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:31 PM
J.Rollin (killaz)
jkldogg can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to jkldogg Send a message via MSN to jkldogg
Gangs are pointless. Players join a gang because of their friends or if they get recruiter rights. People run when they are low HP so they don't lose points.

If you think about it, raids are a big waste of ammo.

run in
shoot ppl
die / run away
repeat.

PSN: jkldogg

The best post ever made on the graal forums.
After playing Graal Online for many years, JKL decides to make a forum account. Isn't life funny?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkldogg View Post
Gangs are pointless. Players join a gang because of their friends or if they get recruiter rights. People run when they are low HP so they don't lose points.

If you think about it, raids are a big waste of ammo.

run in
shoot ppl
die / run away
repeat.
thats almost what i said word for word. At the end of the day, raids don't really mean anything other than points. By next week we might be able to add an incentive to hate the opposing gang mates!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:46 PM
J.Rollin (killaz)
jkldogg can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to jkldogg Send a message via MSN to jkldogg
points = ****ing stupid

OMG I'M NUMBER 1 ON POINTS CUZ I RUSH AND KS ALL MY GANG MEMBERS!

so like ur cool now ^?

PSN: jkldogg

The best post ever made on the graal forums.
After playing Graal Online for many years, JKL decides to make a forum account. Isn't life funny?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Zeus Condero
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkldogg View Post
points = ****ing stupid

OMG I'M NUMBER 1 ON POINTS CUZ I RUSH AND KS ALL MY GANG MEMBERS!

so like ur cool now ^?
Points can mean rewards if it's done right. Like how it is now, 5 EC for everyone in winning gang. If more rewards/options are added to spend points i think it could be pretty cool
Old 09-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimsonSky View Post
but I agree.

The thing is, the whole gang idea needs to take a 180... because [even tho im so pro ;] ] i don't think gangs should just serve the purpose to "OMg, WHO IS THE BEST PKers!"

Gangs should go by who has the most players :P that would sure get more kids on tag, no matter how good they are.

If I was a gangleader, i'd spread the love. not "tryouts"
It needs to take a 420 actually. In current Era, most every player has a decent/great gun and thinks they're good (don't get me wrong, they all suck) so no one cooperates or listens. There's no good leaders anymore, just a bunch of friends who give each other rights. Because of this no one feels obligated or has the need to raid, or try. Sadly I'm going to say we need more Wil Souls to lead gangs...

Gangs should go by who is better. This covers the whole realm of skill, leadership, tactics, firepower, numbers, etc. However all the current gangs lead toward the firepower and numbers but ignore the others. This is easily outweighed by skill, tactics, and leadership as was the case yesterday when me and some random guy (just us 2) took on 6-7 SY and easily suppressed them.

I'm sure you'd make a fine gang leader in current Era, but anyone with a group of friends can fill that picture. Tryouts are only the first step, to prove skill. But after that leaders ignore everything else such as activity, behavior, or performance which need to be monitored to create a good gang. If you saw anyone failing one of these categories when we had good gang leaders, they would've been gone.

tl;dr
It's not the system or idea that fails, it's the people using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajchris View Post
i think we have a cool idea for gangs, andrew will be working on it next week! Kinda adds a goal to gangs!
-Kinda- sounds fairly impressive in Era's current state. Can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajchris View Post
Points can mean rewards if it's done right. Like how it is now, 5 EC for everyone in winning gang. If more rewards/options are added to spend points i think it could be pretty cool
But unnecessary, rewards don't add any incentive to raid or join gangs, they add incentive to lame and pile on the best gang for free EC/items. You are taking a small token proposal and turning it into a full blown competition. Gangs used to be about proving you're the best and having fun, not running away to keep your points up and laming to win a few ec.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Zeross is on a distinguished road
The points at the end of the week are probably only incentive that promotes any ounce of competition. But I think Rogue is right, simply because these incentives work, doesn't mean you should go crazy with incentives. They have to be really decisive to promote too much of anything other than competition and activity. You should probably list the incentives you guys are putting up for discussion.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
People need to be able to make their own gangs. The server shouldn't suffer because gang leaders go inactive.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:22 PM
/-;,;-\ /-;,;-\ /-;,;-\
KrimsonSky can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to KrimsonSky
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
People need to be able to make their own gangs. The server shouldn't suffer because gang leaders go inactive.
Wait... weren't you manager before ? ;]
*Bell (Tue Feb 09 15:32:52 2010): go sit on noctorious and pretend you're on Era!
Chris Vimes (Sun Aug 08 09:40:16 2010): r u rly a purple super dragon??
snk (Working) (Wed Oct 13 12:40:55 2010):they do nothing, i hate them with passion
Old 09-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Dark_Zeratul101 is on a distinguished road
Gang raiding was one of the only things people used to do nowadays. What do people do now on Era if that's over?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
People need to be able to make their own gangs.
Player Owned Gangs, Outlined:
$200,000 should be a charge to form a gang. A gang management GUI will appear allowing you to choose a Gang name/nickname AP/Leader Rank/Rank style (name *rank* or rank, name), etc. Also to form a gang you must list 4 associates (that are online), each will be asked if they are willing to support you and donate $1,000 to show their loyalty (so you can't just get 4 random trials that you don't even know).

Once all of that is complete those 5 players will get tags to that gang, the main guy being whatever Head rank he entered in the creation and the other 4 being ranked 'Associate', whom cannot leave the gang for a 7 day period. Also, the gang will be assigned a small base somewhere on the Gmap (with 2 default gang levels, main/healroom). The beginning member limit would be 15 (including the main 5).

After time and the gang gains 'reputation' (a new type of point system that could be added*) they will be able to spend those points on member limit increases, base upgrades (speakers, safe, more rooms, better rooms, etc), new gang hats, and eventually gang guns or positions in gang events.

New gang jobs could be added that require a group of members working together to pull off. Raids could be made more strategic and profitable (requires rigging door charges to open the door, and other tactical things besides mass shooting) and the goal would be to not only kill the other members, but take their supplies and do other trippy **** to earn rep.

*The Reputation System:
Would basically be the foundation of gang improvement and growth. Reputation would be earned by successful raids, jobs, missions, tagging, area control, or winning gang events.
However, it could be lost by failed missions/jobs/raids, or killing civilians, losing areas/events, and inactivity.

Overall, this would be a huge-O update and the whole of Era would be based around it. Hell, it could be a server/video game in itself if well thought out and planned.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimsonSky View Post
Wait... weren't you manager before ? ;]
Yeah, a gang system was one of the things I was doing when I actually bothered to log on. I have a few pages outlining the gang system I wanted to make somewhere (as well as a few thousand lines of code) if the current staff team wants to take a look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaman771 View Post
$200,000 should be a charge to form a gang. A gang management GUI will appear allowing you to choose a Gang name/nickname AP/Leader Rank/Rank style (name *rank* or rank, name), etc. Also to form a gang you must list 4 associates (that are online), each will be asked if they are willing to support you and donate $1,000 to show their loyalty (so you can't just get 4 random trials that you don't even know).
Hell no at paying 200k. It should be cheap so that anyone with a few supporters will be able to start a gang. You don't want to make someone who might run an active gang jump through hoops (like earning 200k).
Quote:
Once all of that is complete those 5 players will get tags to that gang, the main guy being whatever Head rank he entered in the creation and the other 4 being ranked 'Associate', whom cannot leave the gang for a 7 day period. Also, the gang will be assigned a small base somewhere on the Gmap (with 2 default gang levels, main/healroom). The beginning member limit would be 15 (including the main 5).
Bases wouldn't work with an unlimited gang system, and wouldn't really serve a purpose. Instead, it should work like party bases where gangs fight to control them (throw in perks). Maybe have bases that a gang can earn once it has established itself (through earning points or "rep" as you suggested)
Quote:
stuff
I agree that leaders should be able to expand their gang in some way, shape, or form.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:33 AM
scooter123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

After time and the gang gains 'reputation' (a new type of point system that could be added*) they will be able to spend those points on member limit increases, base upgrades (speakers, safe, more rooms, better rooms, etc), new gang hats, and eventually gang guns or positions in gang events.

New gang jobs could be added that require a group of members working together to pull off. Raids could be made more strategic and profitable (requires rigging door charges to open the door, and other tactical things besides mass shooting) and the goal would be to not only kill the other members, but take their supplies and do other trippy **** to earn rep.

*The Reputation System:
Would basically be the foundation of gang improvement and growth. Reputation would be earned by successful raids, jobs, missions, tagging, area control, or winning gang events.
However, it could be lost by failed missions/jobs/raids, or killing civilians, losing areas/events, and inactivity.

Overall, this would be a huge-O update and the whole of Era would be based around it. Hell, it could be a server/video game in itself if well thought out and planned.
I think 4 people should be chosen to become gang leaders from competing against every other player in a spar arena. So when 4 people get gangs, it should cost money to get attachments. Maybe you could buy more rooms for your gang base, possibly buy a weapon stall and ammo compartment to enhance your gang base and its power on Era. (Just kind of what I always thought gangs should have implemented somewhere in Era )