Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Chang
DesolateRestriction will become famous soon enough
First let me start off by saying I am completely ignorant to the situation on Classic. I haven't actively played classic in quite awhile. However I also haven't noticed anyone actually stating specific problems (and solutions) with the current classic management. What is so wrong with him? Why is removing him the only option? Is he inactive? If so, has anyone managed to contact him to find a reason as to why? Instead of putting forth effort to uproot the manager, why not focus on planning new extended game content for the server? Like a new town, new events, something that'll attract more sparrers and pkers.

Rarely does new management learn from the mistakes of past management. Thus the same mistakes are repeated until the new management finally understands the old management, unfortunately by that time it's too late and a new management is already under way.
One of many reasons why servers progress slowly.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:54 AM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
Oh no, the manager is online more now. Problem is, over the last four years, nothing significant to help the server has been released. Is it completely his fault? No. But it is his job (by some people's definition) to push the dev team to complete useful stuff in a timely manner. He didn't push them, nor was the stuff they were working on very useful. Therefor classic is in a pretty bad state content, playercount, and excitement wise. Is removing the manager the best solution? Perhaps. Perhaps not. The dev team is the key to fixing the server right now; maybe a different manager could push them to be more productive. Its hard to know because its all speculation and theory.

Thanks for the tips though.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Remonq is just really niceRemonq is just really nice
@glad: the development team isn't the ONLY team responsible for restoring the server. in my opinion all 4 divisions are needed for different purposes, they all fill a certain role that needs to be fulfilled in order for a server to survive and prosper. development may be the key, however without the other teams doing the job effectively the entire thing is prone to collapsing
Old 03-09-2009, 04:51 AM
Gladius
FAQ's cant answer questions about quests we don't have. GP's can jail people if no hackers come to our server. GC's cant host 24/7 b/c ppl don't stay online b/c theres nothing to do.

No, the dev team isn't the only team responsible. But they start everything.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:06 AM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSolider View Post
FAQ's cant answer questions about quests we don't have. GP's can jail people if no hackers come to our server. GC's cant host 24/7 b/c ppl don't stay online b/c theres nothing to do.

No, the dev team isn't the only team responsible. But they start everything.
too true
Old 03-09-2009, 05:14 AM
how's it going eh?
jorollychu is a glorious beacon of lightjorollychu is a glorious beacon of lightjorollychu is a glorious beacon of light
ya ranger ur completely wrong all other staff positions are useless if the dev team can't get anything going.
03-15-2012 05:49 PM Good riddance. All you do is whine. Hopefully when you are gone you'll man up - Supernanny
Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
I can agree with what yump said
Old 03-09-2009, 05:48 AM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
Yes, the other divisions lose their role a lot if the dev team fails at releasing content. Besides GC anyway.

How it stands, FAQ only really have a handle of people answering questions since there are a lot less newbies and a lot less content compared to 4 years previous. Ranger is doing a good thing from what I see, by trying to get his team on focusing on the community aspect of the server, though I never asked him the specific details on what that entails.

GP is rendered nearly useless, and kind of hurts the server as well if they try to be of too much use. Since we have a low playercount, there isn't much to police, and being that the population as of current is a bit more vulgar and profane than other server's populations, if you try to overpolice, a few of classic's community members end up being jailed or banned, and that brings the community down more than them dropping f-bombs would. It's why GP is so lax on the rules as it is. I doubt Stryker wants to harm the community.

GC on the other hand, has a different part in this.
For the past four years, they have been completely frontmanning the server while the Dev Team had its problems, setbacks, and admin changes that further complicated development.
After 4 years though, the overuse of GC to keep the server alive is causing the demise of GC.
Tickets are nearly useless, there's so many.
The events get a little less appealing every time.
The drive to play events continues to drop.
People dont want to play a 'mario party' server forever, and they won't, its showing now, and it will continue to show.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 AM
►Point Man◄
Terazel Tenjin is on a distinguished road
I can agree with Gladius and DC here.

The initial idea for GC was the compliment the server with extra activities. It has long since been repurposed to the point where it is essentially keeping the server alive. I admit I was not pleased with the end result, but it wasn't fault on the GC end.

Dev might be in the spotlight, but it seems to me that a lot of it has to do with purpose and direction. Someone needs to make the call on that, get with the staff divisions to see if a direction/goal is feasible (technically and socially), and roll with it. A huge success factor of past development was taking in player input. Not 100%, but at least a large portion of it.

Fearless Leader of the Squirtle Squad Initiative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Once again I flipflopped
Old 03-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Gladius
I've talked with thor today and it seems he does have a lot of projects going right now. Some I've heard of, others I hadn't. The issue is that most of them are partially complete but obviously not finished; lack of manpower is an issue.

Yes, they are working on "content" for in between events. Yes, they are reworking some of the old levels. Yes, they are adding new areas. Yes, it is taking a while. Now I don't know how effective most of this stuff is going to be b/c I haven't seen them. But what I do know is that there is a general plan in place, judging from the pms. Is it exactly what players are asking for? Not from what I remember (these pms were about 12 hours ago and I don't remember all the details,) but then again there was never a consensus by the community on what exact content they wanted.

So, yeah. Things are being worked on. Hopefully they will help. Hopefully they will be finished. Hopefully classic will still be alive by that time. Hopefully.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:12 AM
RIP Darkcloud_PK
weeway will become famous soon enough
Announce that classic is in need of dev we might get some pretty good people a and set up a fourm or whatever listing exactly what needs to be done and made and have a section open to suggestions to what players think should be made :O
Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 AM
SomeOne
MiniOne is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to MiniOne
Agreed, hiring more dev may be the solution though hiring and firing managers over and over again can be confusing for many players since different managers have different views upon what should occur in the game.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Nemo
StrykerTFFD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
GP is rendered nearly useless, and kind of hurts the server as well if they try to be of too much use. Since we have a low playercount, there isn't much to police, and being that the population as of current is a bit more vulgar and profane than other server's populations, if you try to overpolice, a few of classic's community members end up being jailed or banned, and that brings the community down more than them dropping f-bombs would. It's why GP is so lax on the rules as it is. I doubt Stryker wants to harm the community.
Glad somebody else finally said it so I can stop saying it. Just to throw it out there, without a realistic population I can't do a hiring either. (Read:Stryker wants to do a hiring so get people on the server darn it.)
Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 AM
SomeOne
MiniOne is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to MiniOne
There would be no point in hiring ETs FAQs and GPs for a server with such a low playercount compared to the previous years.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
Tickets are nearly useless, there's so many.

i can prove it !