Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Chris (correct nickname?), you really should give it up and just take our word for it. Loriel, Rufus, and myself are all more experienced in matters such as this. Loriel has been right on the money with everything he has said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Yes it will, it will hurt the original server.
No it wont. People don't play crap copies. And such a server would never make it to classic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
Servers which copy Era for example are scripting the same systems, in the exact same way, but they're never going to be accepted into the mainstream server list as they lack originality, thus not creating much competition at all. What it does create is a push for creativity and originality, and in the majority of servers and on Graal as a whole this is very much needed.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Yes it will, it will hurt the original server.
The only thing that can hurt a server from sharing, is levels.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
The only thing that can hurt a server from sharing, is levels.
That sounds accurate, provided the tilesets are the same and the PWA or other people aren't very observant.

I just thought of an awesome script that would allow PWA to check for duplicate levels on different servers
Old 07-28-2008, 08:08 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Open source would not work on the Graal the way it works in the rest of the technology world. Graal is not a wide market; operating systems, IDEs, web applications, etc. are all wide markets. On an open source Graal, I would be making a server that's bound to go to Classic. Somebody else would notice, and steal the systems I've made and claim them for themselves. Now, I have to spend even longer creating something better each time my entire server's systems are stolen. The stolen systems wouldn't be "crap copies", because the server where they originated from wouldn't have been released; you wouldn't ever know the difference.

That's not how open source works. If you thinks that's the goal of open source, you've really missed the point Richard Stallman was trying to make. Most open source software is released when its finished, and the goal is that people will improve that software, not to have other people copy the software and brand it as their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Making playerworld creation easier is a good thing.
There's a difference between making a playerworld and making a clone. You don't seem to be able to understand this.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
Open source would not work on the Graal the way it works in the rest of the technology world. Graal is not a wide market; operating systems, IDEs, web applications, etc. are all wide markets. On an open source Graal, I would be making a server that's bound to go to Classic. Somebody else would notice, and steal the systems I've made and claim them for themselves. Now, I have to spend even longer creating something better each time my entire server's systems are stolen. The stolen systems wouldn't be "crap copies", because the server where they originated from wouldn't have been released; you wouldn't ever know the difference.

That's not how open source works. If you thinks that's the goal of open source, you've really missed the point Richard Stallman was trying to make. Most open source software is released when its finished, and the goal is that people will improve that software, not to have other people copy the software and brand it as their own.

There's a difference between making a playerworld and making a clone. You don't seem to be able to understand this.
I don't think Graal needs to be open source... but simply more sharing == better Graal.

Like Rufus said... someone simply copying a server isn't gonna make it good.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:12 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
That's exactly what's been proposed, Dusty. Open source servers. I wouldn't be arguing about open source otherwise.

And the idea that the copy isn't going to be good is only assuming that the server where the copy came from is up and running (aka, Hosted/Classic). The "Era clone" thing doesn't apply here. Server B copies from server A and is released before server A. Server B gets all the glory with none of the work, and none of it is against the rules.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:20 PM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
You're assuming that servers reusing scripts would be carbon copies of the servers that the scripts are from, and while that might be true in some cases, that is not why it is being suggested. Servers which copy Era for example are scripting the same systems, in the exact same way, but they're never going to be accepted into the mainstream server list as they lack originality, thus not creating much competition at all. What it does create is a push for creativity and originality, and in the majority of servers and on Graal as a whole this is very much needed.

If a server like Graal2001 for instance wanted to use the car script Era has for their Go-Karts event, I do not see how this is going to hurt Era at all, because borrowing or not the Karts are going to be scripted. Time is saved, and it would not be creating competition from Era's own content, because it is not Era's content.
The problem is, people do actually play the crappy clone servers which is the sad part.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Incubator
Quote:

You don't seem to be able to understand that clones don't go classic.

Having classic servers that are open source would be just fine. Having other types of servers be open source is open to debate. But I'm not budging on the fact that I think open source classic servers is not a problem.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:13 PM
master of infinite loops
It's all or nothing in the end, Inverness. My argument is centered on development servers, though.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:14 PM
DrakilorP2P is just really niceDrakilorP2P is just really nice
Quote:
On an open source Graal, I would be making a server that's bound to go to Classic. Somebody else would notice, and steal the systems I've made and claim them for themselves. Now, I have to spend even longer creating something better each time my entire server's systems are stolen. The stolen systems wouldn't be "crap copies", because the server where they originated from wouldn't have been released; you wouldn't ever know the difference.
I'd like to note that a copyleft license is supposed to fix this. If someone forks you in an attempt to replace you, you can do the same back to them since they're forced to distribute any changes they make. On a different note, aren't you just assuming that there are thugs around every corner?

Quote:
That's not how open source works. If you thinks that's the goal of open source, you've really missed the point Richard Stallman was trying to make.
Richard M. Stallman isn't involved in the open source movement. You should know that he's picky about names since he believes that names matter. He's strictly active within free software.

Quote:
Most open source software is released when its finished, and the goal is that people will improve that software, not to have other people copy the software and brand it as their own.
Actually, that was more common in the old days of free software. The issue is discussed further in Eric S. Raymond's essay titled The Cathedral and the Bazaar. The metaphorical bazaar, where projects are released both early in their life and frequently thereafter, is common these days. The most prominent success story is our favourite kernel called Linux.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:32 PM
master of infinite loops
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakilorP2P View Post
I'd like to note that a copyleft license is supposed to fix this. If someone forks you in an attempt to replace you, you can do the same back to them since they're forced to distribute any changes they make. On a different note, aren't you just assuming that there are thugs around every corner?
I would honestly be fine releasing all my scripts under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license. That would mean that non-commercial derivative works would be allowed, as long as I receive credit for the original work. I just want my intellectual property to remain my intellectual property. I know that there aren't "thugs around every corner", but there are thugs nonetheless.

Quote:
Richard M. Stallman isn't involved in the open source movement. You should know that he's picky about names since he believes that names matter. He's strictly active within free software.
I've seen open source and free software be used as synonyms a lot in these kinds of arguments.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:44 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
I've seen open source and free software be used as synonyms a lot in these kinds of arguments.
Well, they aren't synonyms. Free software is merely software anyone can use for free, they don't release the source (usually).
Old 07-28-2008, 10:51 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
Chompy is just really niceChompy is just really niceChompy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Chompy
Sounds.. interesting? :o
Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Well, they aren't synonyms.
This is right.

Quote:
Free software is merely software anyone can use for free, they don't release the source (usually).
This is wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	category.png
Views:	109
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	45395  
Old 07-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
I'd like to note that a copyleft license is supposed to fix this.
You cannot really apply a copyleft license to your playerworld because the copyright of your playerworld belongs to Graal, and not you. So you would need Graal policies that emulate copyleft with respect to different playerworlds instead of licensees or whatever.