Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 PM
greggiles has a spectacular aura about
iOS format

Will someone please explain the steps on to making an Iphone server.
I have been reading up and it seems like IOS platform is where the playerbase is.

Is there a certain way I should script?
How should I set up controls?
Who do I contact for exporting to app store?

I have been working on Runa Online but I feel like I won't get the player base I am hoping for.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
I don't think there's any official steps. You'll have to get Stefan and co interested for starters.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:45 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
Chompy is just really niceChompy is just really niceChompy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Chompy
The thing about iphone servers is that GraalOnline has to follow Apple's rules when releasing stuff on the servers as it's an app in Apple's AppStore. This results in the globals and Stefan himself having to be in change of the server to maintain control of what is being released to players and not. This requires a lot of trust seeing as Apple's rules has to be followed or the app goes down.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 PM
greggiles has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
The thing about iphone servers is that GraalOnline has to follow Apple's rules when releasing stuff on the servers as it's an app in Apple's AppStore. This results in the globals and Stefan himself having to be in change of the server to maintain control of what is being released to players and not. This requires a lot of trust seeing as Apple's rules has to be followed or the app goes down.
I know what your saying, but as far as development goes, is there a certain way things should be scripted?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:59 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggiles View Post
I know what your saying, but as far as development goes, is there a certain way things should be scripted?
Try to not use any/too many timeouts. Event based stuff should work way better on iDevices.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggiles View Post
There are some general common-sense guidelines for lots of players, and some specific things to keep in mind on mobile devices as well:
  • Use as few timeouts as possible. Try using scheduleevent when you need to schedule something, but avoid 0.05 second scheduled events, too.
  • Use the default movement system.
  • Avoid as much scripting as possible in level NPCs.
  • Avoid as much scripting as possible in general.
  • Set player.ani directly instead of using setAni. This only works on v6/iPhone.
  • Design everything to be run by touch.
  • Keep in mind that there are multiple mice (contact points with fingers) and use the mouse ID included in touch events.
  • Use clientstats aggressively to profile your scripts.
  • Use as few timeouts as possible.
  • Use the new transitions in v6 when possible.
  • Use as few client/clientr variables as possible. If it's only needed serverside, store it in a player. variable.
  • Avoid quirky things like joining classes to the player clientside.
  • Do as many things serverside as possible.
  • Avoid triggers where possible for things that can be done serverside entirely (e.g. healing player while in a bed).
  • Avoid abusing SQLite. With so many players, you need to be careful not to use too many queries.
  • Avoid writing to files. Use player attributes to store stuff when possible.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:34 AM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
I would also use as few timeouts as possible.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Delterian Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
There are some general common-sense guidelines for lots of players, and some specific things to keep in mind on mobile devices as well:
  • Use as few timeouts as possible. Try using scheduleevent when you need to schedule something, but avoid 0.05 second scheduled events, too.
  • Use the default movement system.
  • Avoid as much scripting as possible in level NPCs.
  • Avoid as much scripting as possible in general.
  • Set player.ani directly instead of using setAni. This only works on v6/iPhone.
  • Design everything to be run by touch.
  • Keep in mind that there are multiple mice (contact points with fingers) and use the mouse ID included in touch events.
  • Use clientstats aggressively to profile your scripts.
  • Use the new transitions in v6 when possible.
  • Use as few client/clientr variables as possible. If it's only needed serverside, store it in a player. variable.
  • Avoid quirky things like joining classes to the player clientside.
  • Do as many things serverside as possible.
  • Avoid triggers where possible for things that can be done serverside entirely (e.g. healing player while in a bed).
  • Avoid abusing SQLite. With so many players, you need to be careful not to use too many queries.
  • Avoid writing to files. Use player attributes to store stuff when possible.
Era iPhone and Delteria iPhone both use custom movement systems, and it doesn't have any performance impacts at all. It just makes movement smoother. Also, it's really easy for players to manipulate both the serverside and the clientside on iDevices, so the iPhone systems have a special way of communicating with the serverside that doesn't allow using triggers in classes and such. You'll really need to get hold of the iPhone systems first before you do anything.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:15 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emera View Post
Era iPhone and Delteria iPhone both use custom movement systems, and it doesn't have any performance impacts at all. It just makes movement smoother.
I just checked and you're right about Era iPhone. I based my recommendation on what Stefan told me a while back.

Not sure what you mean by "makes movement smoother". You can certainly make movement faster or slower but smoother would require running at a higher framerate than the default movement system, which isn't possible (and wouldn't matter, since the game still renders at 20 FPS).

Quote:
Also, it's really easy for players to manipulate both the serverside and the clientside on iDevices, so the iPhone systems have a special way of communicating with the serverside that doesn't allow using triggers in classes and such. You'll really need to get hold of the iPhone systems first before you do anything.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. If players could easily manipulate "the serverside", it would be a very good day for hackers.

A lot of things are handled via requestText and similar functions, but by no means have triggers been disabled. I just tested the systems on Kingdoms iPhone again on my iPhone, and our triggers are working fine.

Keep in mind that you cannot actually trigger classes, even on PC Graal. Perhaps this is the source of your confusion?
Old 06-30-2012, 03:20 AM
Delterian Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
I just checked and you're right about Era iPhone. I based my recommendation on what Stefan told me a while back.

Not sure what you mean by "makes movement smoother". You can certainly make movement faster or slower but smoother would require running at a higher framerate than the default movement system, which isn't possible (and wouldn't matter, since the game still renders at 20 FPS).

I'm not sure what you're saying here. If players could easily manipulate "the serverside", it would be a very good day for hackers.

A lot of things are handled via requestText and similar functions, but by no means have triggers been disabled. I just tested the systems on Kingdoms iPhone again on my iPhone, and our triggers are working fine.

Keep in mind that you cannot actually trigger classes, even on PC Graal. Perhaps this is the source of your confusion?
The reason we use a custom movement system is because it can offer a lot more features that the default system can't, and we can tweak it as we please to give smoother movement results, like speed setting, combination with the item and weapon systems, etc.

I don't really know as much as I'd like to about how iDevices can easily manipulate the serverside, but because of it, iPhone servers use a special way of contacting the serverside so players are unable to manipulate the serverside, or make it very hard for them to do so.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:33 AM
the fake one
Quote:
I don't really know as much as I'd like to about how iDevices can easily manipulate the serverside, but because of it, iPhone servers use a special way of contacting the serverside so players are unable to manipulate the serverside, or make it very hard for them to do so.
Uh, still not sure what you're saying. In the same paragraph you just said that iPhone clients both are and are not able to easily manipulate "the serverside".

You don't need anything special on your server to get started creating for the iPhone. Standard triggers work fine. The stuff you've heard about is likely just the requestText communication used for profiles and other special communications.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:05 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The reason we use a custom movement system is because it can offer a lot more features that the default system can't, and we can tweak it as we please to give smoother movement results, like speed setting, combination with the item and weapon systems, etc.
Speed can be set for the default movement system as well. Integrating it into other systems is not difficult either.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:12 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯
Chompy is just really niceChompy is just really niceChompy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Chompy
Classic iPhone uses both the default and a custom movement system. Switches when needed.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Delterian Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy View Post
Classic iPhone uses both the default and a custom movement system. Switches when needed.
OO Never knew that.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:13 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Quote:
I don't think there's any official steps. You'll have to get Stefan and co interested for starters.
Which is most easily done by befriending Snk.