View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 02:18 AM
Banned
bradigger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bradigger Send a message via MSN to bradigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptless View Post
You make a lot of valid points. Yes the community is important to a MMO however there needs to be some emphasis on playability that extends beyond MMO for times which lower player counts will be reached. I proposed servers upped there quality to something more similar to Graal The Adventure. Which IMO should have been your showcase/flagship server for pc. I like how you focused on the "MMO" part and didn't add "RPG", because In my opinion the competition for an RPG based server is much greater then a Action Adventure server.

I don't use linux often but I am kinda a bit disappointed by the lack of the Linux client. Luckily and happily I use a mac as my main machine and a windows pc as my secondary. Times that I use linux I am usually on an ARM architect which wouldn't run traditional desktop applications. (such as the raspberry pi)

I also completely agree that a lot of dev work that should be getting done is not. And I am not just talking about other dev's, I myself also, not getting stuff done. I also completely agree that the new website is hard to navigate and the fact that you have to navigate to other pages to download is pretty embarrassing, but not as embracing as the subscription's that you mentioned that have no use now. But one thing I kinda disagree with is that the site is ugly. It's not ugly it just has a different taste that might not fit your's. I myself kinda like the look but the navigation and consistency is just terrible.

I also don't know if making the game open source is the way to go. They still use a lot of proprietary stuff in there mobile games that could be compromised. It just wouldn't make sense from a business perspective. However I do think they should have more dedicated staff/employee structure, as well as greater communications to the general public.

This is a game that we have all played over a decade, yet has anyone actually seen any advertisement? I heard about it from a friend (word of mouth). At the same time if someone tried advertising the current quality of the game my impressions would be tainted by the lack of quality so much so that I would hear about the game a year or 2 later and just not even click to see the updates or news.. I would just have this prejudice of a tainted quality towards the game.
One issue I have with Graal the Adventure, or Classic as I know it better by, is that it's extremely linear. Last time the server was actually live and playable on the main list it was like a bunch of us were playing together through the game and there was a lot to do besides the story. That, I am fine with. I'm just worried that they've taken a different turn and are focusing 100% on the story. I like idling in large groups in some sort of central location. I like pking and socializing and such. I basically don't want Classic to get rid of a lot of what it had in common with Unholy Nation and other server.s

I'm fine that you disagree with the site being ugly. Mostly because you're treating it as a separate issue from the site being hard to navigate. I have no issue with the color purple or a lot of the theme the site has going. I definitely prefer the old look, but if the site was overhauled and stuck with a similar theme, that'd be great as well.

I believe strongly in free software, and also open source software, but I'm totally fine with the game not being open source. My issue here is that the game feels dead and abandoned. This is the PERFECT opportunity to open source a game. It's already mostly handled by players. If the alternative is the game not being kept up to date (look at the GNU/Linux client that hasn't been updated in three years for example), then I think open sourcing it is the way to go. I don't mind this not happening if they Graal team starts actually getting things done again.

I'm not sure I want advertisements. I see what you're saying, and I can see some benefits as well, such as bringing in more people to play and/or work on the game. I just think that when you start to advertise and bring in tons of new people the quality is sure to go down. Graal may be dead and the staff may be screwing around recently, but I actually really enjoy the game and its current quality. If I was able to play right now I could entertain myself for months on Era or Unholy Nation. Zodiac may have even changed enough by now that I could get back into that again.

You mentioned you're a developer.. Are you a developer on one of the servers or for the game itself? I see your description says scripter which makes me think you mean the former, but I'm super desperate to get some confirmation on what's going on with the GNU/Linux client, so if you had some way to contact the higher ups, that'd just make my day, or year even.