View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet View Post
Trust me, I'm not the one that takes a toll when I stop developing for Graal, so choose your words wisely. The same would apply for all active developers, since we all do this voluntarily and gain nothing out of it except self-satisfaction, so the more you run around telling people not to develop for the game, the more it will die out.
You took that way too literally. It was not a shot at you or anyone else.
My point was that if you think nothing innovative can come out of something based on top of a system, you should take a look at Graal itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet View Post
As for the packages, yes, it would defeat the purpose of learning how to script for the newer players and would decrease the need of scripters when managers can just install packages developed by the team and save themselves the trouble of looking for a scripter. It's fine for something like a global tailor or a global guild system, but adding in full systems that would need close to nothing to tweak to get a server running would be a bad idea and there would be too many servers with the same gameplay systems applying for hosted and classic. There's a reason why others get angry when full scripts are posted on the forums when answering player-related questions since those players will just copy-and-paste the script and not bother to learn anything from it.

There is a fine line of systems that would be suitable for the packages and systems that define a server cross that line.
I do not agree. Who loses when an RPG-Server and a RTS-Server use the same systems for controlling the health of their players? Who loses when an bow and a wand both use the same script to shoot projectiles? No one.

It doesn't matter what systems you are using. It takes ideas and a united team to make a good server.

If you are concerned with people just grabbing the package and making their whole server based off of that - don't be. Because no one will play it and it will die, just as it would now if any made a "cool new server where you can run and slash at people and even pick up stones".