View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 05:20 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Is there anything to elaborate on? They don't necessarily need to be trusted as much since they aren't given any actual rights.
Quote:
The tag is misleading; they are not globals, do not have global powers, and should not necessarily be trusted as globals.
Quote:
Because they aren't held to the same standards as globals. If they don't have to be trusted with a global RC, then they don't necessarilyhave to be as trustworthy.
I disagree with this notion. We are expected to be trustworthy enough to be given RC on an as-needed basis, without so much as a second thought that your NPCs might get stolen, deleted, etc. We do not have Global RC because we do not need it; if a problem requires RC, the server manager can decide to extend it. We are expected to be knowledgeable enough to explain to others how to do things, rather than having to log on RC and do them ourselves.

Quote:
My intentions are only to prevent an abuse of the tag, not to diminish the purpose or power of the GDT. There are likely different names that wouldn't imply that they are "globals", but still work just as well. I'm not trying to attack anyone by saying they can't be trusted, but instead trying to avoid any potential problems in the future.
The name should imply that we are globals, because for all intents and purposes we are globals. Also, you may think you're not diminishing the GDT, but you aren't exactly helping it. You're making look okay to assume that GDTs aren't anything special; don't treat them with any more trust you would anybody else asking for RC to help you. Hopefully, we're counter-acting that.

Anyways, if a GDT member abuses their tag, then report them. The point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't automatically assume that we are held to lower trustworthiness standards than Tig, Bell, Skyld, etc. The GDT isn't an open group; we are vetted. You shouldn't automatically assume that somebody is going to waltz on Era with a GDT tag and do whatever it is that's possible to abuse it. It really shouldn't cross your mind, in my opinion. Either way, the tag is just a regular global guild tag: if you don't want it to appear in the staff section, don't put it in the serverops.