View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 03:40 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Graal Central accounts and player commenting.

Graal Central now has a system allowing you to register an account. Once you register, you're given a verification code which you can forum PM to me or tell me in-game to prove that you're who you say you are, then your account is verified.

Currently, creating or verifying an account doesn't actually allow you to do anything, but it will have uses in the future. In consultation with the rest of the server, I'll create a set of rules to govern a player commenting system, which will be a system where players can post whatever they want (good or bad) about other players. Those rules will then be put to a referendum, which anybody who meets certain eligibility requirements will be able to vote on (having a Kingdoms Gold account will be one. They'll also have to have a certain minimum number of hours online. I'm thinking between 50 and 100.)

After this, there will be elections for a few people to moderate the commenting system. I myself will have no moderation powers over the system unless I'm elected as a moderator. The elected moderators will have to periodically run for re-election (unless they don't want to) and can be forced to run for re-election if enough players complain about them.

The moderators will manage the commenting system. It's my intention that no comments are to be permanently deleted or made invisible, but moderators will be able to do things like move comments considered spam away from the "main" page of comments on a player to a special "spam" page, which will be linked to on the "main" page, so that the "main" page contains only those comments considered useful.

In addition, as part of the referendum a list of "crimes" will be created. When players make comments, they'll be able to mark whether or not they're accusing the player in question of committing a crime. It will be the job of the moderators to investigate these claims and see whether or not they consider them valid. If they do, they can "convict" the player (it will almost certainly require more than one moderator considering the accusation valid to "convict" a player). It will be possible to see how many/what crimes a player has been convicted of on a page about them. So if you're doing business with somebody and are worried they might be a scammer, you can see if they've been convicted of any scams (assuming the players vote to make scamming a crime). Moderators will also be able to reverse past convictions, including past convictions made by other moderators.

Players will be able to propose amendments to both the list of crimes and the rules governing the comment system, which will be put to referendums. The playerbase will also be able to create guidelines they think the moderators should follow in determining whether or not a player is guilty of a crime.

On voting:

You will be able to vote in elections/referendums in two ways. One is on the forums. Votes made on the forums will have to be made public so that only votes made by people who meet the eligibility requirements are counted. If you have a verified Graal Central account and meet the requirements you'll be able to vote secretly. Therefore you do not need a Graal Central account to be able to vote. Only to be able to vote while keeping your vote a secret.

Other notes:

- It will be continually emphasized, on all pages, that the comments posted, convictions, etc. are simply the opinions of the players/moderators and are not necessarily 100 percent accurate.

- Nothing stated in this post is necessarily going to happen. If players vote that they don't want it to happen, it won't happen.

- You won't need a verified Graal Central account to make comments or have comments posted about you. However, if you make a comment without having one, your comment will be demarcated with a message saying that you may not necessarily be who you're claiming to be.

- It will be possible to respond to/argue against comments.

- Post your suggestions/comments/etc. in this thread.