View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan3 View Post
That might be an unrealistic goal as the map would be way north of 10k levels and I'm not sure what kind of performance issues that might create. There has to be a reason why the map is split up into islands and its probably to improve performance/dealing with limitations with the Graal engine.

I might be wrong with these numbers because I'm not able to check as I lost my old backup of the pirate map but I'm fairly sure the map is around 4000 - 5000 levels in size and if you times that by 6 it would be 24 - 30k levels if we assume the maps are around the same size.
Last I checked, each island is around 1024 levels in size. (32 x 32) Also, they won't be merged because there's not enough physical space left on main.gmap to even fit them. We just got lucky with the newbie island because it was conveniently small enough to fit in an empty part of the southern sea.

Also, the islands are on separate maps and do not align in a perfect grid formation. The archipelago is shaped more like an upside-down star. This means a lot of extra left-over space if they somehow were merged, and a collective map size of roughly 9216 (96 x 96) maps with nothing remaining in the corners.

Performance issues aren't really the reason why the islands are split up. They were made that way originally to keep them separate, and accessible only by using the game's intended means of travel. (Like ferries, the dungeons, and so forth.)