View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon551 View Post
I have a feeling Era made you post this, Bell. <3
Era triggered this, yes but its not confined to Era alone. I've come across it on other servers as well.

IP bans aren't by any means perfect. If someone wants to ban evade bad enough they are going to find a way around it. These bans are just another tool to slow them down and make things as annoying for them as they've been annoying the staff trying to keep them off.

Short history lesson: I helped implement the current system several years ago with the preselected ban messages. As with everything else there was a reason to do it. In this case it was to give more consistency to bans. In the past you would get life on one server for a cheat tool and 3 days on another. It made the excuse "But Freddy only got 3 days!" way more common.

Every server at the time was polled for their most common bans and a list compiled, then standardization was put in. A few reasons/times have been added over the years but for the most part it has worked. There will always be special circumstances and those were always meant as 1st offense type bans. I just wish that the Reason actually showed up when you log on since we often get complaints about the sexual harassment one since its the most commonly used 2 week ban.

I often wish we did have the ability to clear nonsense ban histories since UC servers especially seem to be good at making some of the worst. My own ban history is riddled with proof of that. However this is another case of "Be careful what you wish for" because to be quite honest I would prefer that stay in the hands of Stefan and Unixmad alone since I don't like the idea of every global staff having the ability to start removing any ban they feel isn't justified.