View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
I think an important thing is to always have something interesting in every part of the overworld. This is not only because purposeful levels are "better".

A big reason is that if you are running around with the expectation that there is nothing cool to find, it'll be boring. But. if you are running around with the expectation that there is great stuff everywhere, it'll be fun to even run around.

Since actually having stuff builds the expectation, I think doing something like this would make exploration in Graal much more interesting.
My objection is not against whether levels need to have purpose or not, but that big overworlds automatically = bad. Sure, there is a huge margin for error, but it's equally as bad to make a boring and uneventful small overworld. The mindset needs to move away from big = bad and more to empty = bad. It's all about how the worlds are designed from a creative and skilled viewpoint, not from some empty numbers.